About criminal activity and blue blocking

Do you like the idea of this added feature

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

Sablina

The Idea: To add a command (/criminal) that will turn on the abilty to commit criminal acts on others, default is having this turned off, which will prevent one from commiting criminal activities.

When off: Players will not be allowed to commit criminal activities against others, this should include attacking blues and looting bags, basically anything that would give you a criminal tag. having this feature off does not prevent others from performing criminal activities on you.

When on: works like it does now, allowing all criminal activity to be performed as normal

Allow this to stay turned off or on and keep the settings when players log. This way people won't have to turn it on each time they log on. If a player wants to commit crime they simply turn it on once and leave it that way. Other then a one time /criminal to turn the feature on, current criminals will be unbothered by this feature.

Benofit of this added feature: Players will not accidently become criminals by hitting a blue (becuase the hit will do no damage), they will not be able to loot bags that are considered a criminal act. This will benofit new players as well as existing players. People will be able to hunt together without having to worry about hitting each other and turning into a criminal. People will no longer be able to blue block others in an attempt to change them grey and kill them and take thiere stuff with out getting tagged as a murderer. This feature, in my opinion, will enhance game play for all and promote traveling and hunting with friends.

Downside to this feature: It will prevent the people from blue blocking. I do understand that blue blocking is not against the rules, however, it is annoying and can be discouraging to new players (mostly the targets). Since new players are potential subscribers I feel this small feature will help people like the game better.

In conclusion: I have suggested this a couple of times on the help channel and have gotten back positive responses. I do hope you take this feature into consideration, I really do believe it will help group play without having to add a grouping system.

Thank you for your time
Sablina

The Idea: To add a command (/criminal) that will turn on the abilty to commit criminal acts on others, default is having this turned off, which will prevent one from commiting criminal activities.

When off: Players will not be allowed to commit criminal activities against others, this should include attacking blues and looting bags, basically anything that would give you a criminal tag. having this feature off does not prevent others from performing criminal activities on you.

When on: works like it does now, allowing all criminal activity to be performed as normal

Allow this to stay turned off or on and keep the settings when players log. This way people won't have to turn it on each time they log on. If a player wants to commit crime they simply turn it on once and leave it that way. Other then a one time /criminal to turn the feature on, current criminals will be unbothered by this feature.

Benofit of this added feature: Players will not accidently become criminals by hitting a blue (becuase the hit will do no damage), they will not be able to loot bags that are considered a criminal act. This will benofit new players as well as existing players. People will be able to hunt together without having to worry about hitting each other and turning into a criminal. People will no longer be able to blue block others in an attempt to change them grey and kill them and take thiere stuff with out getting tagged as a murderer. This feature, in my opinion, will enhance game play for all and promote traveling and hunting with friends.

Downside to this feature: It will prevent the people from blue blocking. I do understand that blue blocking is not against the rules, however, it is annoying and can be discouraging to new players (mostly the targets). Since new players are potential subscribers I feel this small feature will help people like the game better.

In conclusion: I have suggested this a couple of times on the help channel and have gotten back positive responses. I do hope you take this feature into consideration, I really do believe it will help group play without having to add a grouping system.

Thank you for your time
Sablina
I understand that suggestion and have seen it in other sandboxes implemented (EvE Online).

An additional downside I want to add is that the mechanic suggested takes away a huge strategic aspect of combats with friendly fire mechanics. Wait, PvP players would be in criminal/aggressive stance anyway so thats not really relevant. The suggested mechanic might hurt immersion for favoring actual gameplay, thou.
Also one has to balance the trigger of this "stance", as abusing it in mid-combat could be critical.

Sebas555

That sounds really like a carebear feature. Just be careful with your actions.

I've spend countless hours roaming in the Tindrem GY and never got really blueblock. I had 2-3 accidents but nothing that caused a problem for me. If you see griefers and suspicious people, why are you taking the risk of staying there and to be a potential victim.

There is so much other ways to make money than the damn GY, if people would leave TIndrem a bit, there wouldn't be such a big deal about the GY.

Watch your actions and don't be a target.

That sounds really like a carebear feature. Just be careful with your actions.

I've spend countless hours roaming in the Tindrem GY and never got really blueblock. I had 2-3 accidents but nothing that caused a problem for me. If you see griefers and suspicious people, why are you taking the risk of staying there and to be a potential victim.

There is so much other ways to make money than the damn GY, if people would leave TIndrem a bit, there wouldn't be such a big deal about the GY.

Watch your actions and don't be a target.
Pretty much agree on your points. But one should also consider that some players (looking at the Tindrem population, maybe more?) are not warriors in nature and would like to have a more peaceful PvE experience with always fearing about their life.

I hate that "carebear" trashtalk. People always have different playstyles and many prefer a more relaxing style of gameplay. It is strange that people are so offended, if someone wishes for features to please that type of player. Would it make a difference for all the real PvP players out there in the wilds, beating each other to death and destroying assets like crazy? Probably not.

Sebas555

My post had nothing to do about trashtalk... I used the word "carebear" because I think it was the best word to describe his proposition.

I'm not a big PvP player either, I mostly PvE and craft. And I never had any major problems leaving the city and go hunt or looking for materials. Of course you need to be wise and minimize your lost if you get ganked...

But all and all, this idea would kill most of the adrenaline that you get by exposing your self to danger to gain a benefit, and that's what I like about MO.

My post had nothing to do about trashtalk... I used the word "carebear" because I think it was the best word to describe his proposition.

I'm not a big PvP player either, I mostly PvE and craft. And I never had any major problems leaving the city and go hunt or looking for materials. Of course you need to be wise and minimize your lost if you get ganked...

But all and all, this idea would kill most of the adrenaline that you get by exposing your self to danger to gain a benefit, and that's what I like about MO.
The proposition would not cease the adrenaline rush as far as I understood it,
as you are still able to get attacked by people in criminal/aggressive stance.

It is just a security feature to cease blueblock griefing and support a more careless PvE grouping behavior.

Edit:
Sorry about the accusation of your post being "trashtalk".
Just read "carebear" and got all "Oh shit, not that stuff again!" :oops:

linkfr

The proposition would not cease the adrenaline rush as far as I understood it,
as you are still able to get attacked by people in criminal/aggressive stance.

It is just a security feature to cease blueblock griefing and support a more careless PvE grouping behavior.

Edit:
Sorry about the accusation of your post being "trashtalk".
Just read "carebear" and got all "Oh shit, not that stuff again!" :oops:
and so no more mistakes possible when they do this? : NO
security feature is my problem here, we don't need thoses imo

and so no more mistakes possible when they do this? : NO
security feature is my problem here, we don't need thoses imo
I am stunned at your well formulated argument but as the OP I just can't understand that unhealthy hostility towards suggestions which might help this game gain a higher population. Imo, it would be a good way to allow players to first learn the games basics before venturing into the competitive and brutal PvP scene.

linkfr

I am stunned at your well formulated argument but as the OP I just can't understand that unhealthy hostility towards suggestions which might help this game gain a higher population. Imo, it would be a good way to allow players to first learn the games basics before venturing into the competitive and brutal PvP scene.
imo, a better way to learn the mechanics would be players themselves.
Im not hostile at all, i simply think all the population increase and all the players are not good for Mortal, im not talking about the pvp scene. Helping the game get highter population :yes
but not by making the game more easy or more safe, in any ways.
a massive population income can be disastrous when you see some people arguing and defending/asking mechanics they don't even understand, or they don't even take time to masterize and are jumping on the "hey,it need improvement/fix" as soon as they encounter some difficulties.

Thoses players shouldnt stay, that's my opinion, they have to get in mind its before everything to the player to go over himself in most of the situations.

edit: "I am stunned at your well formulated argument" if it was some kind of irony, you should appreciate the time i am spending as a non native english to write some more lines.

[...]edit: "I am stunned at your well formulated argument" if it was some kind of irony, you should appreciate the time i am spending as a non native english to write some more lines.
Appreciated as non-native english speaker myself. ;)

I pretty much want this game to have something like a success and a solid future than just 4 people sitting in the office and having trouble to program a game, which they hardly can test with their resources. Therefore my concerns towards the hostility towards potential new customers.

It is no utoptia which I am asking for. EvE Online is a pretty good example for a game, which pleases both PvE "carebears" and hardcore PvP players and has a much more steep learning curve than this game. I wish this game would have just the same balance.

Edit:
Edited some nasty buzzwords as Seba555 put it in a good way.

Thread starter #11
first of all thank you for the criticism, I am both appreciative and accepting of it.

Second: as far as carebear mechanics goes. I also do not like carebear mechanics and as such this is not what I am proposing here. The mechanics I have suggested in no way stops others from attacking me or performing other criminal activities on me. It still keeps the dangers and adrinaline of having to protect yourself. What I am suggesting is allowing me the choice of attacking or not attacking other people. It allows me to hunt with friends and not damage them in a fight (since they are my friends I would not want to damage them). As it sits now I have no choice in the matter, there is no grouping system and I am ok with that, but there should be a way I can hunt with people and not have to worry about damaging them.

This was not suggested to only prevent blueblocking. It so happens that this mechanic will prevent it. I assure you that I have a full understanding of how the current mechanics work and I also understand that the mechanics are being exploited. and speaking of immersion, how is it immersive for someone to throw themselves into my swing only to turn me into a criminal when they themselves get no penalty?

I personally didn't have a problem with blueblockers. My problem is that me and my friend find it hard to hunt together and not accidently hit each other at times, turning us into a criminal. This feature was suggested to offer a choice to those that do not wish to attack others.

Sebas555

which pleases both PvE "carebears" and hardcore PvP players.
Another "carebear" myth: It's not because you like PvE that you are a "carebear", PvE can be "hardcore" if you push it and PvP is not automatically a "hardcore" playstyle either.

Don't put tags on everyone because everyone play MO differently... because the game as so much depth that everyone can play at is own pace and go where ever he wants.

Tonkuh

Trial Member
I get so sick and tired of trying to be careful not to hit the blueblockers that throw themselves in front of my sword. I would definitely enjoy having an option to disable MY ability to damage blue players, and only blue players. Just like how you cant damage a yellow player, the option should make it so you can't damage blues kinda the same way. There would be no way to exploit it, since it would only disable your ability to damage other blue players and nothing else.

Edit: It's very common for a new player to join the game, get blueblocked in the garden, and then quit before even giving the game a chance. The game NEEDS something like this because even when players "learn the mechanics" they still get blueblocked while being extra careful.

As long as something is possible, the players will most certainly do it. Even if that "something" is an exploit, cheat, or being just plain mean... the players will still do it if they CAN do it, it's human nature.

There have been discussions about this option on other posts. What I have realized from watching awesome PVP wars on youtube (have not gotten into them yet myself) is that the flag system does not matter outside town. So if they are not your friend or member of same guild you attack. Red, Blue, Grey does not matter. However, this will cause you to go Red. I have learned thay just because you are Red does not mean you are a "Murderer." Because of this I think the game does not need murderer flag and all would be fine. There is a lot more I would like to add but gotta run... Maybe some of the long time players can explain? Check out the videos on youtube.

There have been discussions about this option on other posts. What I have realized from watching awesome PVP wars on youtube (have not gotten into them yet myself) is that the flag system does not matter outside town. So if they are not your friend or member of same guild you attack. Red, Blue, Grey does not matter. However, this will cause you to go Red. I have learned thay just because you are Red does not mean you are a "Murderer." Because of this I think the game does not need murderer flag and all would be fine. There is a lot more I would like to add but gotta run... Maybe some of the long time players can explain? Check out the videos on youtube.
Agree pretty much on this but cancelling a whole flagging system would only worsen the situation.
The proposed addition to the flagging system would hopefully make up an heavy error in it.

See it as an temporary fix until SV finds time and resources to make a better system.
Everyone pretty much agrees, as far as I read it, that the flagging system sucks. So why not hotfix it a bit?

linkfr

I get so sick and tired of trying to be careful not to hit the blueblockers that throw themselves in front of my sword. I would definitely enjoy having an option to disable MY ability to damage blue players, and only blue players. Just like how you cant damage a yellow player, the option should make it so you can't damage blues kinda the same way. There would be no way to exploit it, since it would only disable your ability to damage other blue players and nothing else.

Edit: It's very common for a new player to join the game, get blueblocked in the garden, and then quit before even giving the game a chance. The game NEEDS something like this because even when players "learn the mechanics" they still get blueblocked while being extra careful.

As long as something is possible, the players will most certainly do it. Even if that "something" is an exploit, cheat, or being just plain mean... the players will still do it if they CAN do it, it's human nature.
No worries, people will find a way to exploit it, i already found more than one. It's not needed,at all, be carefull ,and avoid doing mistakes, use trust to attack if more people are near you, or simply play smart and avoid thoses problems.

Vulpeculae

No worries, people will find a way to exploit it, i already found more than one. It's not needed,at all, be carefull ,and avoid doing mistakes, use trust to attack if more people are near you, or simply play smart and avoid thoses problems.
But the way it works now is retarded, it's like punishing someone for driving over a person who jumped in front of the car. (I know, there are people who does that on purpose and tries to sue). And what is the clueless noob who is being told do go to the GY were there are literally people who spends hours each day blueblocking gonna do. And these players just follows the person around forever until the noob gets fed up and quits.

Right off the bat I see a way to exploit this say a group of reds are fighting a group of blues all the blues have to do to keep from hitting each other is to turn it to the "safe" setting as attacking reds is not a "criminal activity", however the reds can't use this to keep from hitting each-other, meaning the blues get an advantage that the reds can't have.

I agree that the current flagging system is flawed but i don't think this is the answer as it causes more problems then it fixes

first of all thank you for the criticism, I am both appreciative and accepting of it.

I personally didn't have a problem with blueblockers. My problem is that me and my friend find it hard to hunt together and not accidently hit each other at times, turning us into a criminal. This feature was suggested to offer a choice to those that do not wish to attack others.
If you are in the same guild and you hit your fellow hunter you won't turn grey.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Wait, now; seriously; most of the adrenaline (rush) is from worrying about whether you're gonna get blue-blocked, rather than anything else?

Erm?

Wait, now; seriously; most of the adrenaline (rush) is from worrying about whether you're gonna get blue-blocked, rather than anything else?

Erm?
the only place I have been blue blocked is in tindrem. most other places if people want your stuff they'll just kill you outright. If "exposing your self to danger to gain a benefit" brings to mind Blueblocking then you might want to try and get out and explore nave a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.