About the Roleplay section wipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
Those who really care will also do their best to recover what we can while there is still time.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
It really is horrible that all of this happened, especially because it means that a member of the forums ran in and did it. I wonder if they can figure out who it was and ban them?

I'm just trying to keep the bright side of things up, if not for others than at least for myself. It really is awful what happened here and it is honestly a major blow to things I (and I'm sure others) have both done and planned.

I'm going to stick in here and try to add some of my own stuff, I hope that others will join me -- but I'm not giving up even if I'm on my own. We can get through this, I'm sure we can. We've lost a lot, but we can keep going.

We'll just have to back up the stuff we care a lot about, I think this sort-of stuff is a risk for any site. Doesn't make it acceptable or right, but I guess we'd just better learn from this and prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
I admire your patience with setbacks, but I wish to differ on the identity of who it is that had just better learn from this. Star Vault has more to lose than the community in this respect.

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
I admire your patience with setbacks, but I wish to differ on the identity of who it is that had just better learn from this. Star Vault has more to lose than the community in this respect.
I just wonder how much they really could have done to prevent all of this from happening is all. Was this a known issue prior?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Those who really care will also do their best to recover what we can while there is still time.
That part's easy. It's posting it here again that's a collossal waste of time.
I just wonder how much they really could have done to prevent all of this from happening is all. Was this a known issue prior?
  1. There was one known issue: that there are those who will do this kind of thing whenever they find it possible.
  2. The issue that cannot yet be determined to have been either known or unknown: whether they knew someone could do this.
  3. The reason that the first two don't matter: They didn't have a backup, or we'd be seeing it restored.

dscoombs

Hang on...so someone did this deliberately?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Hang on...so someone did this deliberately?
From the OP:
There's been an issue with user permissions in this section, someone noticed it and went crazy hard-deleting all the stuff... I'm sorry to say that everything we had here is impossible to restore, I hope our good roleplayers had a back-up somewhere else so they can re-post them.

Sorry again for the trouble, let's fill the section again!
That's not describing an "Oops." That's saying someone noticed an opportunity and took it, though "crazy" is too kind.

Allastar

Pretty sad someone would take such an opportunity to do such a thing... For what purpose, I wonder...

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://cache.nevkontakte.com/proxy.html#go=http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/forums/roleplay-discussion.148/

Use this link - with this you can just browse the whole section like you would normally. However some newer topics aren't saved and we must be fast before the cache gets updated!
Hm?
This is Google's cache of http://cache.nevkontakte.com/proxy.html. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Apr 22, 2013 18:47:30 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime.
The above is the current result from that link.

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
I've done what I can to recover the first two pages and credit the original posters, even if they are no longer here they won't be forgotten.

Mavorl

Lead Moderator
You have done an awesome job Rhodri and shoudl be commended.
Well done!

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
You have done an awesome job Rhodri and shoudl be commended.
Well done!
Don't just give me credit, thank Pockets for telling me how to get it done, next time I see him I'll ask how to get over to the other pages cause I could only get page-1 and page-2. I'll try to save them all if possible.

Xhodan Xeus

i dont agree with this that rhodri is being the authro of all the posts
either the original owners re post it or delete the whole thing again! but rhodri putting it back up is just fucking stupid

Xhodan Xeus

he is giving credit to original authors .
thats nice but maybe the original owners dont want him to post it, did he ask for permission, also what if the original owners wan to change something? do they have to contact rhodri all the time so he can change it?
also the original owners do not get the like, disagree, funny, etc rating!

na delete all and have the original owners repost it or noone at all, since now the orignal owners have no controle at all over there own post

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
either the original owners re post it or delete the whole thing again! but rhodri putting it back up is just fucking stupid
I'm sure you'll be able to get all your material reposted under your own name, Your Honour.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
thats nice but maybe the original owners dont want him to post it, did he ask for permission, also what if the original owners wan to change something? do they have to contact rhodri all the time so he can change it?
also the original owners do not get the like, disagree, funny, etc rating!

na delete all and have the original owners repost it or noone at all, since now the orignal owners have no controle at all over there own post
I agree that some of it should not be reposted except by Star Vault from a backup, or, failing that, by the original posters. Furthermore, in my opinion, some of it should not be reposted at all (in specific cases, as I have noted previously). However, in the first case that's not going to happen and apparently it largely won't in the second case, either. The third case is special.

What do you want? Scorched earth? Is that a foolish question on my part, seeing who it is that I am asking?

No matter what, we can precisely and accurately put the loss of original ratings down as Star Vault's Fault (SFV). Those original responses will be just as lost no matter who restores the material or how. The bright dimly lit spot there is that I'm not sure the deletion of the posts on which the ratings were given has changed anyone's stats, and perhaps someone who keeps note of his stats will be so good as to check that fact for us.

It may please someone to note that a report from then-Sjt. Rhodri which was formerly included in one of my posts (the official report of the Night of Umbra from the College of Heralds in Wessex-- according to protocol then in effect) is now separately reposted by its author.

Allastar

Calm down and quit the hating on rhodri already. I'm actually kind of tired seeing you come into every thread that mentions anything about rhodri and you throwing a hissy fit. Man up and keep your grudge to yourself. He's taking the time to try and preserve some MO history and I don't really see anyone else taking the time to do so(besides the guy who pointed out google caches to begin with).

Status
Not open for further replies.