CCP Games acquired by Black Desert Online development company

Do you think the acquisition of CCP Games by Pearl Abyss was a good idea?

• Total voters
Thread starter #1
Source: https://www.dualshockers.com/pearl-abyss-acquires-ccp-games/

Not sure who here plays EVE Online, but I do wonder what the player base thinks of this acquisition.

It is not something I hope will ever happen to Star Vault. While I don’t know the extent to which Pearl Abyss will have control over CCP Games, not being able to have complete independence and free rein over the intellectual property, development style, vision and intent of your own game is, in my opinion, a detriment despite whatever benefits (be it funding, manpower, etc) the acquisition may bring.

But, it is what it is, so I wish CCP Games and Pearl Abyss all the very best.

Edit: Just out of curiosity, I decided to read up on what netizens think of the acquisition on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/9dg8ma

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
"Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of CCP Games, discussed why his studio decided to go through with the acquisition:

“I have been seriously impressed with what Pearl Abyss has achieved ever since I first visited their website for Black Desert Online and subsequently became an avid player of the game. Pearl Abyss is a fast-growing company with lots to offer in terms of technology, capability and vision. I believe our two companies have a lot to learn from each other. We are very excited to join forces with them and achieve great new heights for our companies, our games and – above all – our players"​
"Meanwhile, Pearl Abyss CEO Robin Jung seems to be elated about acquiring the Icelandic Studio:

“We are thrilled to have CCP Games join our team as Black Desert Online continues to branch out globally. CCP is a seasoned publisher with over 15 years of digital distribution experience and know-how. They have done an incredible job of engaging and maintaining their playerbase, which we aim to learn from and hope to integrate natively into Pearl Abyss’ general practices across all our games."​
Can't figure out from just this if they had to sell or really wanted to sell. Or what exactly they mean by "integrate natively". Or what "technology, capability, and vision" might be lacking from EVE before this (it doesn't help that I have never played it and have heard of it only as "Game of Spreadsheets").

Thread starter #3
Can't figure out from just this if they had to sell or really wanted to sell. Or what exactly they mean by "integrate natively". Or what "technology, capability, and vision" might be lacking from EVE before this (it doesn't help that I have never played it and have heard of it only as "Game of Spreadsheets").
I watched this video below by a YouTuber who was once heavily into BDO for some time. At 13:26 he began to talk about a number of things that mostly point to the notion of greed and profit. But time will tell if the reasons behind the acquisition are as bad as many people from the outside say it is.

I’ve played EVE on and off since ‘03 until about ‘12 and I can understand why people might think of it as a game of spreadsheets. It’s mostly when you’re looking at the market and economy windows that has charts, listings and numbers organised like complex tables and graphs that give that impression. For the most part, it’s fairly simple and easy to navigate and manage. A nice little space trading, combat and politics simulator that one can easily sink hundreds of hours into.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I can understand why people might think of it as a game of spreadsheets. It’s mostly when you’re looking at the market and economy windows that has charts, listings and numbers organised like complex tables and graphs that give that impression. For the most part, it’s fairly simple and easy to navigate and manage. A nice little space trading, combat and politics simulator that one can easily sink hundreds of hours into.
I should have added, "Not that there's anything wrong with spreadsheets", or charts, listings, tables, and graphs. Some of the work done for MO that people have most reason to be grateful for have been in those forms.

I hope nobody wrecks it. It's a long term love affair for so many players.

Salohcin

Trial Member
I wish they would take over Star Citizen, that would be a awesome game. It has been alpha for 5 years.

Cerq0

Sure PA can make EVE as succesful as BDO by selling the games soul and solely focus the game on trying to funnel every player into spending as much money as possible. BDO might not be P2W but the disgusting ppl running it develop everything in the game and the whole game is made to make you spend as much money as possible.

Indifferent. I think CCP really need a shakeup, too much of the leadership doesn't seem to rotate and until recently things had become quite stale. We're finally seeing some interesting things happening in-game, especially in null-sec with an upcoming communications blackout, but I do have hesitations about Pearl Abyss' track record with online games. Just not sure they necessarily align with CCP's sales strategy, but we'll see.

Thread starter #8
Indifferent. I think CCP really need a shakeup, too much of the leadership doesn't seem to rotate and until recently things had become quite stale. We're finally seeing some interesting things happening in-game, especially in null-sec with an upcoming communications blackout, but I do have hesitations about Pearl Abyss' track record with online games. Just not sure they necessarily align with CCP's sales strategy, but we'll see.
“This caused some of the largest nullsec alliances to rage at being forced into “non-consensual PvE” in order to defend their space and even pull back ships from wars further afield.” —EVE-Evolved article

Now that’s something new in EVE, and an interesting one. I’ve always liked the idea of AI-driven invasions into player-populated areas, which MO’s invasion spawn system kind of provides but I’ve yet to see them push into cities or towns (I may have missed something, perhaps).

The comm blackout is going to make EVE more like MO, being forced to watch our backs and surroundings at all times is something we’ve had to live with since day one. I think it’s a good thing.

“This caused some of the largest nullsec alliances to rage at being forced into “non-consensual PvE” in order to defend their space and even pull back ships from wars further afield.” —EVE-Evolved article

Now that’s something new in EVE, and an interesting one. I’ve always liked the idea of AI-driven invasions into player-populated areas, which MO’s invasion spawn system kind of provides but I’ve yet to see them push into cities or towns (I may have missed something, perhaps).
The comm blackout is going to make EVE more like MO, being forced to watch our backs and surroundings at all times is something we’ve had to live with since day one. I think it’s a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! It has potential to shakeup some very stagnant power blocs out in null-sec. And it's only an in-game blackout. CCP can't do anything about the metagame communications which will always happen regardless, no matter how meta they may be.

Similar situations have happened in high-sec too with assets being attacked by CCP led 'RP' fleets. The advantage there is that you don't have players to contend with unless they declare war. But these are hit and run attacks so the process of declaring war is just too slow.

it's going to force fleets to think more long term and really consolidate their holdings. It gives other powers an opportunity to do more damage too, but they'll also have to contend with the blackout.

I like it. It's something different. It makes null-sec even more chaotic and brings some chaos to high-sec, but leaves high-sec the 'safe' place it's always really been...