Changelog - (Dawn Expansion) Version 1.50.00.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauzi

Status King
I understand your viewpoint, but seemingly in that case MO isn't made for you. Thing is, you can do anything 'you' want (as much as the game offers) the mistake in your above list is that you should emphasize 'when' instead of 'I'. This goes along with not ruining the fun for others by brainlessly running around killing people, which from what you described seems to be your main focus. MO's game mechanics limit you in this to prevent it being a pure PvP arena which will ruin the game for any other playstyle easily. This luckily is not Mortal Online and there's already other games for such.

On the other hand, with a bit of planning and a proper group of friends you can undertake any endeavour in MO. So there's no limits except by 'your' choice of selecting the small PvP centered portion of the game (as in MO's beta gaming and sadly what we had until recently aswell: craft to kill, kill, die, rinse&repeat).

I mean seriously, where do you want to draw the line ? You could aswell complain that you don't get weapons freely but need to craft those first, so you can finally kill stuff. Everyone has a different line. Yours is a bit low for MO.

realnaste

Honored Member
What I want is a framework, a sandbox, call it how you please, that allowes me to: eat and drink when I want to, fight when I want to, explore when I want to, tame and train animals when I want to, sleep, sit and rest when I want to, mine, chop and craft when I want to...
Would make half of the systems not having any effect on gameplay. No, thank you. Might as well not implement them at all if the devs had your mind set.

But atm it's not me, it's the mechanics that wants/forces me to do things.
And the more mechanics force you to do certain actions, the less of a sandbox feeling comes up imo ...
Not if you look from a, lets say, cooks point of view. In your dream game he wants to cook for people, but he can't really, because everyone can just ignore eating, so no one will buy stuff from him. That's sandbox? Maybe, but with a lot of sand that doesn't stick together long enough to make any castles.

Yaga

Trial Member
eat and drink when I want to, fight when I want to, explore when I want to, tame and train animals when I want to, sleep, sit and rest when I want to, mine, chop and craft when I want to.....
There's quite a lot of "I's" in your statement! Are you aware that MO is an online game where you share your gaming activity with other people - real people, I mean? Are you aware that your way of playing is actually affecting the gaming experience of other players, who bought the game to have fun too? Has it ever occurred to you that there may be players who are not in MO just to kill and be killed? So, I suggest to think about your attitude and replace some of your "I's" by more mature "We's".

Yaga (shaking his head in disbelief)

Retepet

Why not making food give you buffs instead of making it mandatory for every character to eat on a regular basis.
If foods buffs for example your mining skill so you can get 200 per hit instead of 112 for a set amount of time, or makes your weaponsmith need 2% less materials when crafting or the extractor needs 2% less catalysts, simple but helpfull stuff.... it could reduce the grind.. ;)
You wouldn't be forced to do it if you can't afford it or if you simply dont mind, but having a good cook in your guild or friendslist would be great, because if you eat, you get some nice advantages from it....
And there's no reason cooking couldn't be as complex as it is now (it's really a cool system from the crafters-perspective... needs even more testing than extraction and armorsmithing together).
But why make it affecting each and every playstyle and force everyone to do it ?

Rafner

Trial Member
Are you comparing a game with real life here ? Really ?
"freedom" in RL and "freedom" in games are quite different things.
While I COULD play a game just the way I want (if the frameworks allows it), it's common sense that I will NEVER be able to do so in real life.

And that's the point... I'm not playing games to face the same problems there as I do in real life.
I'm not playing a game because I like to sleep and eat.
I'm playing games because they give me the opportunity to do things I'll never be able to do in real life... like riding around on a horse slaying everything that moves, hunting gigantic monsters, finding treasures etc...

What I want is a framework, a sandbox, call it how you please, that allowes me to: eat and drink when I want to, fight when I want to, explore when I want to, tame and train animals when I want to, sleep, sit and rest when I want to, mine, chop and craft when I want to.....

And the more mechanics force you to do certain actions, the less of a sandbox feeling comes up imo ...
agree

Vendors are the only reliable source of gold... therefore until we have a much more sandy environment, with completely player based economy...we need artificial injection through price manipulation imho. My suggestion... bring vendor buy prices up to challenge player buy prices and implement the ability to sell more things to vendors. You can't maintain the controls system of a player based economy when that is not what we have yet without running into these kinds of problems.

tldr - wtbgold
That won't fix anything. If vender's buy power in increased to player's levels, the players will not be able to compete with them, and then everyone will go back to selling everything to vendors and completely ignore any in-game economy.
Economy is the exchange of money between people. You get inflation when money that is not available is added. devaluing the worth of coin, and increasing the price of goods.

While I COULD play a game just the way I want (if the frameworks allows it), it's common sense that I will NEVER be able to do so in real life.
So untrue. The only thing you can not do yourself IRL if you truely wanted to, is break the laws of Physics (like blasting things with magic or fighting unearthly creatures), and live consequence-free from your actions.
If you want to ride around on a horse, slaying everything that moves, Do it! Just don't come crying when the "Player-run" justice system catches you and you receive the consequences of your actions. Earth is the ultimate Sandbox, if you can break out of social contraints. MMOs just let you do things "safer" (no death) and receive less punishment for crimes against humanity (or in MO's case, Humanity, Sheevra, Veela, "Dwarves", and "Orcs").
So don't be talking about 'freedom' as if RL doesn't have it. (unless you live in a country with a Dictatorship, to which, if so, I feel sorry for you)

And that's the point... I'm not playing games to face the same problems there as I do in real life.
I'm playing games because they give me the opportunity to do things I'll never be able to do in real life... like riding around on a horse slaying everything that moves, hunting gigantic monsters, finding treasures etc...
But some us us are here to face the same problems IRL, and enjoy that challenge, and do more and varied things as well, like vanquishing monsters.
Personally, maybe I want to be a logistical planner in MO. You want to go somewhere, do something (like raid a Keep, fight a monster, or just go across the world), well, you're going to need tools, food, certain skillsets (hunter to provide food if you run out, cook, survival skills, etc.) , a wagon (or more), guards, etc. So, I'll arrange those things for you, and maybe come along myself for the adventure.

If Food, storage, and such are unavailable, or no one needs them because they don't WANT to need them (like you profess), I'm out of a job, and then, MO's not that much of a sandbox is it?
Freedom doesn't mean you can do anything without needing anything else, it means you're free to choose what you want to do for the majority of the game. But you'll still need upkeep.

What I want is a framework, a sandbox, call it how you please, that allowes me to: eat and drink when I want to, fight when I want to, explore when I want to, tame and train animals when I want to, sleep, sit and rest when I want to, mine, chop and craft when I want to.....
as others have pointed out, Sandbox is not about I, but about When.

How come no one complains about being "Forced by mechanics" to regen HP or stamina, or mana, yet scream loudly when they're "forced to eat"? (you're not even forced to, there's just consequences for not doing so...)

Why not making food give you buffs instead of making it mandatory for every character to eat on a regular basis.
If foods buffs for example your mining skill so you can get 200 per hit instead of 112 for a set amount of time, or makes your weaponsmith need 2% less materials when crafting or the extractor needs 2% less catalysts, simple but helpfull stuff.... it could reduce the grind.. ;)
You wouldn't be forced to do it if you can't afford it or if you simply dont mind, but having a good cook in your guild or friendslist would be great, because if you eat, you get some nice advantages from it....
And there's no reason cooking couldn't be as complex as it is now (it's really a cool system from the crafters-perspective... needs even more testing than extraction and armorsmithing together).
But why make it affecting each and every playstyle and force everyone to do it ?
Making food give you buffs will just make it so everyone has to "Buff up" before battles in order to compete, or be effective, just like in Theme park games the mage buffs everyone before doing the dungeon run.
Not saying buffing up is wrong, but, it really limits the playstyle and income of a cook when food is just a "throwaway" item needed only for certain occasions.
Stats drain is the best way to do it.

There's quite a lot of "I's" in your statement! Are you aware that MO is an online game where you share your gaming activity with other people - real people, I mean? Are you aware that your way of playing is actually affecting the gaming experience of other players, who bought the game to have fun too? Has it ever occurred to you that there may be players who are not in MO just to kill and be killed? So, I suggest to think about your attitude and replace some of your "I's" by more mature "We's".

Yaga (shaking his head in disbelief)
I'm really tired of hearing this. I play this game to have fun in my way just like you do, only that way doesn't happen to focus around crafting or gathering or other professions. I don't hate the presence of food systems, mining, refining ect....what I do hate is the amount of time it takes up. You do realize that fighters have to spend tons of time farming gold as well as picking up slack in areas like mining so that non-combatant professionals have a market for your goods right?

The grind in this game even prior to dawn for metal production and building keeps/houses was already causing players to leave the game, but they were just fading away not posting on the forums. These players weren't dedicated pvpers either, it was a wide balanced mix of people sick of having to put so much time into getting basic things done. Some of the people posting here right now spend 8+ hours a day playing and if they are getting burnt out by the grind there's something seriously wrong.

You just see dedicated PVPers burning out, they are the ones posting. You miss the fact that Red Blades of Manderin (RP group that wanted to build a player city) bailed on this game because the grind was too much for them. And alot of others like them, not just gankers. Myself I do PVP quite a bit but what bought me here was really a desire to play in a dangerous changing sandbox world - the reality I"m seeing is a world where barely anything happens because everyone is too busy waiting for something to happen or grinding.

I don't see the solution here as removing systems, but the developers need to remember what they said before about the game being player skill based and casual friendly. And remember all the comments about wanting to create a living world with a real history. Lot of this is incoming content I know in terms of PVE with good AI and lore, in the meantime though the time it takes to do things like make metal needs to be cut drastically (I"d say by about half, especially for metals above steel). And when bringing in new professions consider how much cost and preparation time is added to what is there already.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
I understand your viewpoint, but seemingly in that case MO isn't made for you. Thing is, you can do anything 'you' want (as much as the game offers) the mistake in your above list is that you should emphasize 'when' instead of 'I'. This goes along with not ruining the fun for others by brainlessly running around killing people, which from what you described seems to be your main focus. MO's game mechanics limit you in this to prevent it being a pure PvP arena which will ruin the game for any other playstyle easily. This luckily is not Mortal Online and there's already other games for such.

On the other hand, with a bit of planning and a proper group of friends you can undertake any endeavour in MO. So there's no limits except by 'your' choice of selecting the small PvP centered portion of the game (as in MO's beta gaming and sadly what we had until recently aswell: craft to kill, kill, die, rinse&repeat).

I mean seriously, where do you want to draw the line ? You could aswell complain that you don't get weapons freely but need to craft those first, so you can finally kill stuff. Everyone has a different line. Yours is a bit low for MO.
With everything MO ever has said it will be i am sorry to say that this game is more for him than u, its said to be no grind, ultimate freedom, u are able to DO WHATEVER U WANT WHENEVER U WANT, be whoever u want to be.

These things support him more than it supports u, i am sick and tired of people telling others to leave because they want MO to be what MO promised to be, it is u Mauzi that should go play another game with no PvP cause clearly u are against people acting like warlords, killers, and all the other bad people living for killing shit.

I am one of those but i do enjoy my little crafting business, if AI was good i would enjoy my adventures against mobs and perhaps wage a crusade against Risars (abit much RP i know ;D)

But the point is i dont want half my time playing go to actually prepare for that and grind after grind after grind to get gear to actually be able to play the game i want to play, but if this was even half as time consuming i would be a happy camper.
And people say MO isnt gear based, sometimes i would like to dress like that half breed in the trailer and go head to toe against a heavy armored knight like he does and have a nice time, but i guess i would get 1 shotted in that scenario.

Grind and forced gameplay is this games enemies and the game will never be a sandbox if it still got it imo.

Rafner

Trial Member
With everything MO ever has said it will be i am sorry to say that this game is more for him than u, its said to be no grind, ultimate freedom, u are able to DO WHATEVER U WANT WHENEVER U WANT, be whoever u want to be.

These things support him more than it supports u, i am sick and tired of people telling others to leave because they want MO to be what MO promised to be, it is u Mauzi that should go play another game with no PvP cause clearly u are against people acting like warlords, killers, and all the other bad people living for killing shit.

I am one of those but i do enjoy my little crafting business, if AI was good i would enjoy my adventures against mobs and perhaps wage a crusade against Risars (abit much RP i know ;D)

But the point is i dont want half my time playing go to actually prepare for that and grind after grind after grind to get gear to actually be able to play the game i want to play, but if this was even half as time consuming i would be a happy camper.
And people say MO isnt gear based, sometimes i would like to dress like that half breed in the trailer and go head to toe against a heavy armored knight like he does and have a nice time, but i guess i would get 1 shotted in that scenario.

Grind and forced gameplay is this games enemies and the game will never be a sandbox if it still got it imo.
I'm really tired of hearing this. I play this game to have fun in my way just like you do, only that way doesn't happen to focus around crafting or gathering or other professions. I don't hate the presence of food systems, mining, refining ect....what I do hate is the amount of time it takes up. You do realize that fighters have to spend tons of time farming gold as well as picking up slack in areas like mining so that non-combatant professionals have a market for your goods right?
I totally agree with you guys. The grind grows with every feature SV is implementing. That would be fine if I were not forced to do everything. Eating for example should just be an option and not a thing, which just takes time before I am able to do what I want to do like sandbox should be. The game should be just fun!

Mauzi

Status King
I totally agree with you guys. The grind grows with every feature SV is implementing. That would be fine if I were not forced to do everything. Eating for example should just be an option and not a thing, which just takes time before I am able to do what I want to do like sandbox should be. The game should be just fun!
Actually you don't need to eat most elaborated food at all. It is truly optional.

A bit of feasting on a corpse - and you surely cause alot of those on your travels - will feed you already. And sleeping is quick enough aswell. For this lazyness you will be of skeletal stature and reduced in powers while improved in speed/int, and the game remains nicely playable. Of course, if you want to be competitive in combat you better eat properly to get the same advantage as those who do eat.

So from what you described, MO's eating/sleeping system is about as close to your desires as it can get.

Seems like there is a lot of complaining for a patch that is only a few days old and extremely buggy. It makes me wonder how much play time people have actually got in, or how having an opinion on things that don't work as they should or haven't even been tested work.

Hm.

Seems like there is a lot of complaining for a patch that is only a few days old and extremely buggy. It makes me wonder how much play time people have actually got in, or how having an opinion on things that don't work as they should or haven't even been tested work.

Hm.
you said it all. Extremely bugy, with 3/4months wait. i played this patch for 15 hours and dont really complain , i feel some rage sometimes but i'm happy with the general changes. Except some ppl have very annoying bugs, like they lost all their content in house storage, like i lost 2 rare pets just trying to stable them and was contrain to abandon it or leave it while i logged off, and 1000 others problems.
But i don't really complain, cause my skill in BUG IMMUNITY reacher his maximum cap with SV, so no ragequit ^^
i don't know what drug they puted in this fucking game^^:p

The grind in this game even prior to dawn for metal production and building keeps/houses was already causing players to leave the game, but they were just fading away not posting on the forums. These players weren't dedicated pvpers either, it was a wide balanced mix of people sick of having to put so much time into getting basic things done. Some of the people posting here right now spend 8+ hours a day playing and if they are getting burnt out by the grind there's something seriously wrong.
I'm just going to address your complaint about grinding for money by PVPers.

Here's a suggestion for all PVPers, and PVP guilds:

How about, if you hate grinding for money so much, and love PVP so much, instead of murdering every person you see (exaggeration), you start marketing your services as mercenaries, assassins, bounty hunters, bandits/robbers, and guards to the Non-PVP groups.
This will increase economy, give you an income so you do Not have to mindlessly grind for money anymore, help out the non-pvp players, and puts you into a position where actual, purposeful, PVP can be had between PVPers. Not to mention it'll probably be more fun then riding around looking for a fight with anyone. It's a win-win solution, no?

For PVPers in a guild:
Demand that your guild pay you a regular salary for your contribution to their army!
Maybe even require that they supply you regularly with a standard set of military gear (not the very best kind of course), like 1 set of armour a week.

For PVP guilds, or guilds with a standing military (PVP players):
Start charging taxes from players in your area of influence, either through extortion, or for providing a service (government/protection of that area). Simple taxes, but regular, perhaps 5 silver a week, or something like that (numbers up to you).
Use these taxes for guild activities, resupplying and for paying your military and other personnel's salaries.

Socialism/Communism sucks, so why is it that so many guilds operate under that rule?
"Here, I made some excess, so you can have some,"
"Hey I'm running low on potions, could someone spare a few?" "Sure, I got a few you can have."
While those suppliers have to double their work to resupply themselves, and others, without getting anything for it.

The problem here isn't the game, it's the mindset of the players. If that doesn't change, there's nothing SV can do short of selling their game short.

Mauzi

Status King
Good post, I would say, that's about how the often found PvP mindset seems to be, and it rightfully makes those players personality looking bad. 'Because I can' is a way too often used 'reason' for killing defenceless characters.

I'd summarize it under one word - egoism. Complaining about us who want a game for everyone wanting to limit their playstyle isn't helping here really. Who knows, maybe many of these guys have such potential in them and either live it IRL already and don't want to change, or they have to bash on weaklings 'cause RL rules prevents them to do that there. At least I cannot see why one would intentionally one-hit a naked's and defenceless's day by killing him while there clearly is no loot to be expected (let's say newbies at the pig spawns) without having personality issues.

Very few only consider PvP as sports and look for proper fights instead of jumping on anything that moves and isn't faster than them (which in MO are mostly crafties or newbies). Which is a pity in this game that's ment for mature games. I only hope that the more and more incoming changes will make clear that MO isn't ment to be the PvP arena that many made it look like in the past.

Disclaimer: I am not against PvP at all and actually enjoy it. The more the better, it for sure gets life into the world but should be meaningful. Glad we finally get counterparts in the non-combat areas aswell. And hopefully some territy / guild war systems that allow to distinguish the ones seeking proper PvP from mindless PKers.

rs3080

I'm sure they will spend time to tweak the new features to get the balance just right so that it doesn't become a chore or useless in either extreme. After all, if eating and sleeping didn't matter, why would anybody even bother using them except as maybe a little nicety? Surely, SV didn't spend all that time building the new features just so they can be "fluff".

The "I, I, I" mentality would work perfectly in a single-player game where there is no other human being to get in your way of having fun just the way you like it. But this is not a single-player game. You simply can't have everything your way in an mmorpg. If you did, then this game would not have an economy, justice, incentive or real sense of achievement or reward. Everyone would have everything they want or need and have it all easily, do whatever they want and succeed without any hassle, and nobody would need or even bother interacting with anyone unless they wanted to, and that would not be fun. It would be the 'perfect' world so to speak, which MO is not and was never meant to, but I digress.

Freedom in this game is not always being able to do what you want when you want, but it is doing and achieving what you want despite the obstacles or restrictions that make things hard for you. Now that is true freedom, fun and sense of achievement and reward... something which is not found in many of today's games.

Yaga

Trial Member
@Serpensio, Mauzi & rs3080:

Very intelligent posts! I agree with all you said, and I'm happy that this game's community still has members like you (mature, reasonable and educated). Hope to meet you in-game! Keep up the good spirit.

Yaga.

For PVPers in a guild:
Maybe even require that they supply you regularly with a standard set of military gear (not the very best kind of course), like 1 set of armour a week.
For PVP guilds, or guilds with a standing military (PVP players):
Start charging taxes from players in your area of influence, for providing a service (government/protection of that area). Simple taxes, but regular, perhaps 5 silver a week, or something like that (numbers up to you).
Use these taxes for guild activities, resupplying and for paying your military and other personnel's salaries.
Duchy of Wessex already uses both of the suggestions you described above, our garrison members pay an optional tax, along with our regular members and are supplied with standard issue weapons and armor to use in combat. All garrison members that regularly pay tax do not have to worry about losing armor sets occasionally (unless there is excessive loss). This tax allows us to provide armor sets to garrison members, who in turn are used to protect other guild members during events and special circumstances such as valuable material transport and house deed runs. The tax money is also used to build housing and other necessities for guild members to use.

Well I'm currently doing the trial, and technical issues aside (come on, who's really surprised that a major SV patch fucks the game up once again?), it looks pretty good. MO has really reached another level of complexity now it seems - finally, I might add. The foundations of virtual world are emerging, where players will be able to enjoy themselves in many different ways. Even though the new features will make some things harder, especially for soloers, new players and notorious PKs, they represent another big, albeit late, step in the right direction (butchery being the last major sandbox feature added, and that was quite some time ago now).

The hunger/fatigue system is a really cool feature. The problem right now is that MO still lacks serious content and meaningful PvP; naturally, eating and sleeping will feel like boring chores when you don't have anything worthwhile to stay fit and healthy for. If we had some real territory wars and political conflicts going on, plus challenging PvE of different types and more lore-related fluff to occupy yourself with during "between fights" moments, the hunger/fatigue system would be what it is meant to be - an additional element making MO one of the most complex games on the market. Death has an altogether different dimension in this game now, and I guess it will take some getting used to.

While it might be a hassle at the moment, I believe it will only have positive effects on MO's future development.

Stop talking....Please.... Every statement that comes out of your mouth is one bad idea after another. (and insulting in yesterdays post) Buffs would be a terrible idea imo.

Secondly, your statement yesterday with all the "I's". Just making sure you know what MMO stands for. (Massive Multiplayer Online) Which means it isn't all about You!

I think you misunderstand each other.

People must interact with each other if they want to reduce the grind to a minimum.
Also you are free to do whatever you want in MO. There are only consequences to your actions. New consequences introduced with dawn are the reserves.

But I think you are aware of this, just wanted to remind you of that.

And well, we can´t be a server full of superheroes... fierce warriors, never caring about dieing, never needing to eat and always having the best attributes possible.
At least not in a believable sandbox world Nave is intended to be.
Also we shouldn´t need to be perfect in every way to be able to compete in combat.

So if your point is that most systems have a much too big impact on your combat performance - thus forcing too much upon you - well then it´s just a balancing issue in some systems and you should provide some tested feedback.
I also dont want MO to be a game where you need the best of everything... best armor... best weapon... best food... best stats... best skills... to compete in combat.
The advantage of being perfect over being "nearly perfect" should be rather small, so that it can be compensated with "player skill". So solo players dont have a tough time and can become "nearly perfect" with a reasonable amount of grind.

Status
Not open for further replies.