Eulogy for Mortal Online

Thread starter #1
Today at 1:46 am, PST, Mortal Online was declared dead.

I would like to take this moment to remember Mortal Online for all that it was and invite others to do the same. This is a hard time for many as Nave was a place to return to through the years when other worlds could not keep our attention. I first found myself in Nave in 2012, just before the Awakening, and was blown away by the freedom, the harshness, and the brilliant design. Nave had its own sort of intuition, with a few adjustments in thinking, things made sense, in a Nave sort of way. I was present in Nave through good times, and bad. I witnessed the creation of Guts, RPK!, Vigil, Dred, Ich, SOAP, HAWK, Demi, SUN, Fall, NWO, my own guild Zeal, and countless other guilds attempting to forge some order in the chaos. I witnessed most of these guilds eventually collapse or reform. The people, the personalities, the drama, and the laughs. I witnessed the mount patch that brought rideable molvas and lykiators, and Donkey Kong mauls. I witnessed the arrival of Tindrem, Sarducaa, and all the NPCs with expanded loot tables that came along with it. I witnessed the birth of TC and the arrival of Steam.

And the small moments. A noobs first log in. A snapshot of Tindrem, the shuffle from the graveyard with too many heads, a thief sprinting away with pilfered goods, a donkey being slaughtered in the bank for reasons unknown. The mystery has never left MO. Not only in systems, and possibilities, but also the infinite well of stories each soul ushered into this world.

In the end, I believe the gear-based mounted fighting, the lack of raiding options, and steady replacement of players for NPCs killed Nave's connection to many. That does not change the fact that so many years, so many fights, and deaths, and deals, and deaths, and sieges, and conversations, and even more deaths have been so incredibly meaningful for all of us. The 1000 souls cleansed by Zealots, the heads offered to the "Bridge Gods", the countless liters of blood gathered for Seth, and whatever was involved with that Hodor obsession from Quad, so much has been sacrificed to bring Nave to life.

May it now rest in peace.

See you in Mortal Online 2!

Repent!

Last edited:

Speznat

Hopefully Mortal Reborn/Remastered will be the real hot shit, i hope that people will flood the place.

as long as sv do stuff good and with passion than the place will be flooded i would say top facotrs are:

graphics
feeling of smoth gameplay
less restrictions charackter wise
less unlogic stuff
less magic/more immersion in medival times.
more exploration
meaningsfull conflict over territories that really matter
more features and content

and if all that would be done with 100% pefection than on stema they would have atleast 95% likes even if some may dislike the gameplay, they would just be stunning about the graphics or the triving world full of players.

lets hope that it will go in that direction around 2030 when its released xD
i guess it would take sv atleast 10 years to make stuff really perfect and flawless.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
In this thread:

• A person prematurely burying the only working version of Mortal Online in favour of the next version.
    • @Godkin Veratas , always hilarious with his pretensions to fearlessly flying his guild's banner, and being above material concerns in the game of Mortal Online:
  • Eulogising the game when what's being proffered is "see you later, elsewhere". (There isn't even any 'elsewhere', yet.)
    • Eulogising the most dystopian aspects of MO1, that is.
  • Questions & Rumours about a Timeline of MO2 Development yet to be established.

Last edited:
Honestly it shouldn’t be too hard for SV to whip together something like what was seen in the beta blocks , but on a new engine with all new graphics - sure it was buggy but the game didn’t fall then , it’s glory fell years later when it was unbalanced like crazy due to all the features thAt were unnecessarily piled up without ever being fixed / balanced / properly implemented , such as :

-tc walls
-Tc breeding
-Tc butchery
-Super pets
-Super OP mounteds with no negatives if played right with the right builds and gear
-broken guards with improper attacks that go through walls and shit (MAGIC!!?!)
-crafting / extracting took far too long and ostracized many people from it , make it quicker next time (but not easier per se)
-no eye sore custom building , maybe stick to the set spot building but if you must go for free placement again , create many special restrictions to avoid meta gaming

As long as they can avoid some of these nonsensical things above and compound on their strengths below , this game can flourish and quickly establish itself :

-awesome skill based melee and archery systems with direction combat is a must
-in depth crafting system with various colors and textures for identifying factors
-valueble resources planted strategically around the world (blocking off should be an option but it should be able to be bypassed somehow by a stealth character , do not allow these ugly eyesore gates to rule hills and crevices blocking off resources , it’s incredibly unrealistic)
-detailed dungeons with lots of valuables , continue to flesh out lore and place bosses / special events
-mounted system that doesn’t suck like MOs does , create many negatives to riding a horse and becoming a combat character and also make mounted archery and magic a very challenging skill .

The game could be very fun with “barebones” systems like listed above , essentially it would be resource gathering , crafting , pvp , mounted combat /magic/archery but very nerfed from MO , guards with no magic , dungeons , horses / mounts with taming but no attack pets at first, building but possibly no free placement at first and no TC luxuries like breeding butchery mining or walls except for keep walls , and swimming / plenty of AI and hidden “quests” in towns and such .

All the other shit we have from MO1 could be slowly added but only after the core mechanics listed above work with each other very well , and only the best mechanics would be added (walls shouldn’t ever be added for anything but keeps , maybe small wood walls could be used but they would be weak as fuck).

This meaning of course no guards shooting magic through walls , no attack pets , no super breeding / super mining / super attack pets to taint the course of the launch of MO2 ... and if any of those options were to come available to MO2 I think we should really think cautiously before ever adding them again (I don’t really think we need a super OP breed or mount system , among other things , but that’s just me).

madsholme

i was part of the mo beta and playd the game for around 2 years. Tried to come back a few times. I had fun, but MO was always a dream on what it could had been. It had potential, but lack of a clear path forward ruined it all.

Thread starter #12
Before you go, can I has yo shit?

See you in 3+ years I guess... maybe
I need to understand the "wealth transfer" before making any decisions on items.
Maybe a series of large battles will emerge in the death twitches of Nave, I'd love to participate and witness. Besides, I doubt you'd take anything gifted, that's not your style.

Also, the 3+ years may be less as they are now saying much of the game can be "moved" to the new engine. We'll see.

deathshroud

Exalted Member
Honestly the game was better early on. Some of the decisions were awful.

The pets being altered in the dawn update was awful. The animations sucked and it just seemed to dilute the original horse breeds to the point everything sort of looked the same. Also the rare mongrel horse was cool. Breeding imo kinda ruined taming and i think the game needed to go down the rare spawns more than it did the breeding system.

Butchery also sort of sucked, i liked it in principle but we needed some form of butchering in the field. Skinning of hides/pelts and horn was needed as a secondary.

Honestly the game was better early on. Some of the decisions were awful.

The pets being altered in the dawn update was awful. The animations sucked and it just seemed to dilute the original horse breeds to the point everything sort of looked the same. Also the rare mongrel horse was cool. Breeding imo kinda ruined taming and i think the game needed to go down the rare spawns more than it did the breeding system.

Butchery also sort of sucked, i liked it in principle but we needed some form of butchering in the field. Skinning of hides/pelts and horn was needed as a secondary.
i love breeding in mo.

as many people i'm sure.
you can build unique pet with unique stats.

i remember how it was hard to get when it's just started.
but 1 year after 60% had almost best prepatch horses.
mayb that was problem, too fast to breed from 0 and no limitation from the start.

Half those guilds destroyed the game. Dred is a bunch of pussies that wait on people to farm wood then kill them. RPK is a bunch of sad idiots. And Seth kills farmers. You wanna know who killed the game? Look in a mirror. Nobody wants to play a game they just spent 4 hours farming on to lose it to some pussy faggot that can't even kill you unless you are a woodcutter. You said tried to put some order to the chaos and I lost my shit when I saw the guilds you named. RPK has done nothing but ruin the game and if you don't believe me believe the 200 subs lost after the steam release because of shit players that camp fucking farmers.

Speznat

ive told the guilds back in 2015 you will have the result in years, and what happened.

endigo that wiht the mirror is a good argument.

the most people that cry "AAAAA the game is dead, FUCK SV" that are the same people that slaughered the same noob 50Times and now wodnering why nobody is playing with them, because they atleast 50% leave bad reviews and noone wants to try out the game anymore because the mouth progpaganda is spread out.

all that i cna say, is i told the noob slayers, now we all have to carry the consequences thx, really thx

i just cant understand how stupid a human can be, i mean griefing the people out of the game and than complaining about a empty game, that dont go into my head either

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
Speaking primarily for myself and those many many likeminded players that found MO.

Dying is not the reason many quit but how they died has more to do with why they quit.

I have talked to hundreds of former MO players over the years and most praised the early game when they died like flies to infamous groups such as Myrmidon. It was the danger that made them stay.

Later when SV changed the entire game from being skillbased to giving less skilled players options to compete with skilled ones through pets(one click), gear and numbers people started giving up on the game due to their time investment in the game was nothing against players buying their way to become good either through pets/gear/numbers/NPCs/pots/etc.

Hardcore players(who MO was designed for) want their time invested to yield rewards that cant be surpassed to less skilled ways.
PvE players quit due to lack of PvE, content and bad rewards for PvE.
Social players quit due to lack of social tools and content.
Empire builders quit due to lack of activity, tools and content.
Endgame players quit due to there being no end game.
Crafters quit due to crafting only being a PvP support and again lack of content.

Lack of activity started due to the game changing too much from what it promised to what it actually delivered.

Thread starter #18
Half those guilds destroyed the game. Dred is a bunch of pussies that wait on people to farm wood then kill them. RPK is a bunch of sad idiots. And Seth kills farmers. You wanna know who killed the game? Look in a mirror. Nobody wants to play a game they just spent 4 hours farming on to lose it to some pussy faggot that can't even kill you unless you are a woodcutter. You said tried to put some order to the chaos and I lost my shit when I saw the guilds you named. RPK has done nothing but ruin the game and if you don't believe me believe the 200 subs lost after the steam release because of shit players that camp fucking farmers.
Such passion. Such rage. Wonderful performance. Nave welcomed all emotions, all roles, especially victims and villains. You blame the killers, you blame me, you are upset at how things went. I notice you take no responsibility in your words, no mention of the gods, no mention of what actions you took in Nave. In the next life, perhaps you can try a different approach. It is a RPG, after all. If you grow tired of playing the victim, if you've learned enough about what it's like to be powerless, other possibilities await.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
if you've learned enough about what it's like to be powerless
If you had learned enough about what it is like to be powerless to do anything but harm and evil, where would you be now?

It will remain a rhetorical question:
#MarkMyWords

Strilan

Exalted Member
Declared dead?

Where was this declaration?