hi all, sebs twitter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darran

Hm, I don't even consider the "vadda, bakti and mohki forest" forests at all, to me it's just sparse tree's on an open field.

Exactly, comparing them to forests (which they should be!) is a joke :)

There should be european type forest somewhere in the area around Tindrem and Fabernum as well.

I would like to see the colored forest more dense, where there are only a few established winding paths that you would consider taking your horse through. They could be made to look established by adding a few old signs where they split, some stationary torches, remnants of a mossy stone boundary wall, no vegetation growing on the path except moss on the edges, etc. The rest of the forest could be only be traversed on foot because of the tree and vegetation density, fallen mossy trees that are decomposing (and mushrooms!) and the lack of a straight path. The entire forest could be dimly lit even on the brightest day. It would be nice and immersive, and maybe make it harder to find the Ironwood trees.
Examples:

I would also like the Vadda/Bakti/Mohki forests to at least have dense patches. I agree with a comment above that all the forests just feel like savannahs, or plains with sparse trees. I never get the same feeling in MO as in real life when walking through any forest, deciduous or coniferous.
Example:

I think some savannahs are fine and necessary but a few truly dense forests would be nice. This is a populated landscape and wood is one of the most commonly used materials, so if they want the forests to appear harvested and it's a design choice, then I understand. Maybe the new continent could be less populated and have dense forests.

I would like to see the colored forest more dense, where there are only a few established winding paths that you would consider taking your horse through. They could be made to look established by adding a few old signs where they split, some stationary torches, remnants of a mossy stone boundary wall, no vegetation growing on the path except moss on the edges, etc. The rest of the forest could be only be traversed on foot because of the tree and vegetation density, fallen mossy trees that are decomposing (and mushrooms!) and the lack of a straight path. The entire forest could be dimly lit even on the brightest day. It would be nice and immersive, and maybe make it harder to find the Ironwood trees.
Examples:

I would also like the Vadda/Bakti/Mohki forests to at least have dense patches. I agree with a comment above that all the forests just feel like savannahs, or plains with sparse trees. I never get the same feeling in MO as in real life when walking through any forest, deciduous or coniferous.
Example:

I think some savannahs are fine and necessary but a few truly dense forests would be nice. This is a populated landscape and wood is one of the most commonly used materials, so if they want the forests to appear harvested and it's a design choice, then I understand. Maybe the new continent could be less populated and have dense forests.
Problem is- the amount of power needed for this amount of stuff might prove too taxing for many machines?

vegetation and dynamic shadows may be an issue, but they can be disabled currently. I'm not sure if increasing the number of trees would cause problems.

towns and NPCs give me more trouble with FPS then trees though if there was more trees then the loading in of them my take longer for me causing worse(longer) lag spikes at node lines where the trees get loaded into the game

Aralis

Champion of Nave
I'm not techy literate so this may be a dumb question - but why would trees cause more lag than rocks?

Hey Seb, am I correct in my assumption that the map upgrade will also correlate with the more freeform structure placement once the TC patch hits? Curious.

I'm not techy literate so this may be a dumb question - but why would trees cause more lag than rocks?
Don't know if you noticed, but we don't have a lot of rocks as well :p
Even the terrain seems to be cut down on polygons to the point it almost looks ridiculous at some places.

Sebastian Persson

Developer
Staff member
Hey Seb, am I correct in my assumption that the map upgrade will also correlate with the more freeform structure placement once the TC patch hits? Curious.
Probably not, engine upgrade first.
The more you make the more you break you know. Both of those patches are REALLY large patches with a ton of changes.

Azaraah

Oghmium Supporter
Probably not, engine upgrade first.
The more you make the more you break you know. Both of those patches are REALLY large patches with a ton of changes.
Any eta? And by eta i mean a point which you would think it might be ready for live. And also, is it still realistic for the release in q1?

Sebastian Persson

Developer
Staff member
How high on the priority list is free placement of houses?
Many people thought it would be included in TC and got seriously disappointed.
Free-place of houses will .. if I get my way.. not come unless we rebuild the currently very flawed housing system.
It's a major rework and I would like to sort it all out once I'm in that code.
I really want to get going on magic after TC..but nothing is set in stone as you know..and everyone who have waited for the magic update.

Status
Not open for further replies.