I miss Mortal.

Thread starter #1
I miss it. It's been years now and i really do. For the life of me i can't figure out exactly what is that i miss about it, but i have a feeling it was the community. As psychotic and abusive as some of the people that play this game are, i miss how tight of a community the brutal MO life created. i really hated some of the douche bags in this game, but somehow that made it so i liked my guild mates that much more. There was always a reason to log in. Always someone that needed helping. Always some preparations to be made, some scores to be settled.

And it was personal. God damn it was personal. Not just for me. You could feel it around every camp fire, every mumble room, every forum post. It always got personal. I've never raged like i have in MO, never quit and come back so many times. I've also never been as exhilarated or proud of an achievement as I've been in MO. So many very highs, so many very lows.

Every other game just seems so bland now. So useless. So empty of life and purpose. All pretty this and fancy that, without a single repercussion or meaningful interaction. It's all etch a sketch, when mortal was carving stone with hammer and blunt chisel....and you had to fight for that chisel.

I guess i have to thank SV for sticking to their vision despite all the abuse they received from us..... and yes you, the MO community, for all those intense memories and conflicting emotions. i hope MO 2 does happen, and i hope they can recapture the chaos and thrill of the early MO years. it was fucked up man, but it strangely felt like home.

Mortal is not your average game. It’s a game for gamers, not a game for everyone.

I always wondered, who had/has a mental health issue that could be diagnosed simply by the way they play MO. I think I can pick out a few.

Games dead and I don't see the population coming back. But I do think noob island will be full of life when it's out. As for MO2 it will launch about the same time as Star Citizen.

It will be very exciting to see the launch of MO2 - it’s exactly what’s needed to bring back population , the hard part will be correctly balancing the game so people don’t get frustrated and leave but if we keep it simple and hardcore but not so shrouded in mystery like the game was originally , we can retain a decent player base as Long as updates aren’t years apart .

Great sentiments, the way this game was designed really makes you think twice before you do anything.

You could make a mistake like lose a whole stack of mats by using the wrong appliance (I’m looking at you, hearth!). In most other games, they would’ve prevented you from even making that mistake, and coddled you all the way so you never feel like you could actually ruin your own day by doing something stupid. This game makes you learn quickly from your mistakes, and you learned and remembered it well.

The uneven balance of power between well-geared players and those with lesser equipment, and the fact that many monsters and creatures are far too tough for the solo player to take down, I actually like it that way. In Black Desert Online, you go on quests that have you taking down towering bosses by yourself if you knew how and when to run away, drink multiple instantaneous healing potions, and roll around then you could win. It cheapens the game for me.

I’ve said it before that Mortal Online may be the only one of its kind in the MMORPG space, and possibly the last. I doubt we’ll see another title that closely emulates the hardcore sandbox nature of this game for the foreseeable future.

Newer games, from what I’ve seen, attempt to appeal to the largest possible crowd and shy away from making any game design choices that would drive away the average mainstream gamer even though it would technically improve immersion, force serious risk versus reward, and actually foster player interaction. In Black Desert Online, encounters in the wild were meaningless until you reached level 35 at which point you could be targeted for non-consensual, non-looting pvp. At level 16, the players I encountered had nothing to fear from me, and I had nothing to fear from them.

Last edited:
Tehmudjin fully agree with this thread.

NO other game have had The impact on me that MO has had. The game feel way more sandbox then any other game. The skillbased PvP that used to make guilds fight for glory rather then zerg for loot like today.

Weve also heard countless stores about how tight guilds get. We always Hung out in TS/discord regardless IF we were playing MO or not.

I hope MO2 can be as awesome, but also bring something new so it still feels like a new game but still Mortal.

Maybe its too much to hope for, but The full return of Quad would be a dream.

Dalacor

Its why we cant let go, its why we are still in this forum, its why we cant stick to most other games. Id like to also add to the authors comments by stating the the FP combat in MO is what grabbed me the most, I have never felt the adrenaline rush, the anger, the fear.... in any other game.

I think if MO2 can generate half of what MO created in the politics, conflict and the fight for dominance then it will be great. Sadly for me I always hoped SV would fix this in MO but looks like it will never happen and the "Awakening and beyond" releases just too badly damaged the game to allow it to be fixed and its easier to start from scratch.

Its why we cant let go, its why we are still in this forum, its why we cant stick to most other games. Id like to also add to the authors comments by stating the the FP combat in MO is what grabbed me the most, I have never felt the adrenaline rush, the anger, the fear.... in any other game.

I think if MO2 can generate half of what MO created in the politics, conflict and the fight for dominance then it will be great. Sadly for me I always hoped SV would fix this in MO but looks like it will never happen and the "Awakening and beyond" releases just too badly damaged the game to allow it to be fixed and its easier to start from scratch.
I didnt even think about how Nice FP only view is. NO looking behind corners or 360 field of view, it demands more spacial awereness and adds a unique dimension to PvP. In fact lots of features that MO is said to be lackning (3rd person, map) makes The game better. Too bad a lot of noob kids dont realise that.

Since we are wishing for non existent things...

I can't wait for Star Wars Galaxies 2, if in can generate half of what SWG created in the politics, conflict and the fight for dominance then it will be great!

God how I loved that game with a passion before the CU killed it.:(

And while we are at it, how about UO5 the ReAwakening of Origin, now that I truly can't wait for...

Dalacor

Since we are wishing for non existent things...

I can't wait for Star Wars Galaxies 2, if in can generate half of what SWG created in the politics, conflict and the fight for dominance then it will be great!

God how I loved that game with a passion before the CU killed it.:(

And while we are at it, how about UO5 the ReAwakening of Origin, now that I truly can't wait for...
No problem for us, we know that a MO2 that never arrives is still better than the current state of MO :eek::eek::eek:

No problem for us, we know that a MO2 that never arrives is still better than the current state of MO :eek::eek::eek:
Yet here you are, perpetually haunting the forums of Mortal Online like a snubbed ex or Mirts crazy cat lady wife:rolleyes:

At least haunt a forum of a game you play or even like son

I play MO, I'm subbed to MO, and subsequently I post on MO's forums, what's your excuse?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I play MO, I'm subbed to MO, and subsequently I post on MO's forums, what's your excuse?
Played MO, subbed to MO for considerable amounts of time, and people like him on those exact bases outnumber people like you.

You're bored & unsatisfied with your own level of participation with the game or you wouldn't be here complaining about the interest of others in its future.

/plonk

Dalacor

Yet here you are, perpetually haunting the forums of Mortal Online like a snubbed ex or Mirts crazy cat lady wife:rolleyes:

As if Mirt has a wife. Credibility GONE

There's this pub I used to frequent for near 7 years. It had good food, good beer, good service and good entertainment options. The pricing wasn't the cheapest, but the quality of the place made it worth it every penny.

Then, over the past 2ish years service became slower, food became horrible, and they replaced good beer with cheap shit but still charged high prices. People eventually stopped going, gave feedback, gave bad reviews, wanted changes to bring the joint back to it's former glory. Then there's that one group who still frequents, and praise the joint - Only because they have no where else to go, and since the joint is empty, they can use the pool tables/tv's at will, sit at any bar stool/table they want, basically think they own the joint.

They praise the place, you know cause that tip of the old snout has a bit of shit on it. They try to cause fights with old time customers coming to check up on the place. It reminds me of the situation with MO, aside from 2 years, being more like 4 - 5 years.

If it looks like shit, smells like shit, and has for some time, then it's obviously a stream of shit. You get plumbing done and fix the problem(s), not listen to the guys who obviously lack a sense of smell & are blind at their own will. Because they're on top of the pile of shit and are proud of it.

Tehmudjin fully agree with this thread.

NO other game have had The impact on me that MO has had. The game feel way more sandbox then any other game. The skillbased PvP that used to make guilds fight for glory rather then zerg for loot like today.

Weve also heard countless stores about how tight guilds get. We always Hung out in TS/discord regardless IF we were playing MO or not.

I hope MO2 can be as awesome, but also bring something new so it still feels like a new game but still Mortal.

Maybe its too much to hope for, but The full return of Quad would be a dream.
Hodor is with us. Always.