Mats's Surviving Posts on Lore

Mycke

Sarkhan

Wasn't Mats the one who pretty much ran things during Dawn days? Or am i mistaking?

He was responsible for the Butchery system, and a good number of other systems that the average MO player touts as time-consuming or grindy. Lots of people have this impression that Mats was leading the team during Dawn or something, but really he was there doing his job just like how Seb or Henrik are/were. He is responsible for the lore of the game, something that many of us would like to see more of.

MolagAmur

He was responsible for the Butchery system, and a good number of other systems that the average MO player touts as time-consuming or grindy. Lots of people have this impression that Mats was leading the team during Dawn or something, but really he was there doing his job just like how Seb or Henrik are/were. He is responsible for the lore of the game, something that many of us would like to see more of.
I thought he was one of the original coders. I must be thinking of someone else...

He was responsible for the Butchery system, and a good number of other systems that the average MO player touts as time-consuming or grindy.
Lol, butchery is quite the thing to be remembered by ;)

I designed all systems in MO up to and including Dawn, excluding the flagging system which I "simply" reverse-engineered and the first magic school (Ecumenical) which was Henrik's. And of course the actual movement- and combat action design is Sebastian's. Henrik was always the guy with the vision for the game and decided which systems we needed, what to prioritize and in which order to do them. Me, Sebastian and Henrik usually brainstormed ideas for these together, and then I worked out the mechanics and designed them.

If I am to take credit for systems where I did both design and whole concepts/ideas it would be the skill system (structure of the system, the secondary skill tree and all learning skills, dynamic allocation of points, books etc. and a nice way of visualizing the whole thing which unfortunately was never implemented), races and blood-mixing, the material system / dynamic crafting of items (although only battle-oriented stuff like weapons and armors got in during the time, and with no dyeing or marks, no reprocessing, and only a placeholder version of "recipes" which were supposed to be much more interactive), extraction and alloying (though only a very basic alloying system was actually implemented), dynamic structures (bridges and interactive stuff), flora and fauna and their respective phylogenetic trees, creature genes for advanced breeding, Etherworld (and later Spiritism), the first iteration of territory control, and a couple of systems that were quite complex where unfortunately only the tip of the iceberg could be seen/utilized in game due to restrictions mostly having to do with the former GUI (food system, alchemy, fishing, dynamic item identification/assessment). The first iteration of NPC-faction behaviour (real-time AI and spawn structure placement, resource deposits (like chests)), and "key"-items and "door"-items and some other interactive features were also my concepts and designs - introduced with the Risar invasion.
Lots of people have this impression that Mats was leading the team during Dawn or something, but really he was there doing his job just like how Seb or Henrik are/were. He is responsible for the lore of the game, something that many of us would like to see more of.
Henrik has always been the visionary and leader of the whole crew. As the Creative Director I was responsible for all art, sound and game design (excluding combat action and offensive magic as I explained above) from start until some time after Dawn.

And yes, I wrote the vast majority of the lore and did the world design up until then (history, religion, races, magic, geography, geology, biology etc.). Most of it was non-official though. I've been away for quite some time, but I'm doing my best in contributing to the team with some stuff right now.

Dhan

Honored Member
Yeah and then you went and designed butchery. Good going Mats! :mad:

JK. I actually don't mind butchery.

Vaith

Mats! Do you still walk around in the woods with a sword and think about mushrooms? (Like in the SVT repotage)

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Holy shiz, the wander returns?! The legends are true?! ....we're all doomed doomed!?
*Ret-cons the Gospel of Nave to make the return of St. Mats the Butcherist one of the signs of the Mortal Apocalypse.*

Lol, butchery is quite the thing to be remembered by ;)

I designed all systems in MO up to and including Dawn, excluding the flagging system which I "simply" reverse-engineered and the first magic school (Ecumenical) which was Henrik's. And of course the actual movement- and combat action design is Sebastian's. Henrik was always the guy with the vision for the game and decided which systems we needed, what to prioritize and in which order to do them. Me, Sebastian and Henrik usually brainstormed ideas for these together, and then I worked out the mechanics and designed them.

If I am to take credit for systems where I did both design and whole concepts/ideas it would be the skill system (structure of the system, the secondary skill tree and all learning skills, dynamic allocation of points, books etc. and a nice way of visualizing the whole thing which unfortunately was never implemented), races and blood-mixing, the material system / dynamic crafting of items (although only battle-oriented stuff like weapons and armors got in during the time, and with no dyeing or marks, no reprocessing, and only a placeholder version of "recipes" which were supposed to be much more interactive), extraction and alloying (though only a very basic alloying system was actually implemented), dynamic structures (bridges and interactive stuff), flora and fauna and their respective phylogenetic trees, creature genes for advanced breeding, Etherworld (and later Spiritism), the first iteration of territory control, and a couple of systems that were quite complex where unfortunately only the tip of the iceberg could be seen/utilized in game due to restrictions mostly having to do with the former GUI (food system, alchemy, fishing, dynamic item identification/assessment). The first iteration of NPC-faction behaviour (real-time AI and spawn structure placement, resource deposits (like chests)), and "key"-items and "door"-items and some other interactive features were also my concepts and designs - introduced with the Risar invasion.
Henrik has always been the visionary and leader of the whole crew. As the Creative Director I was responsible for all art, sound and game design (excluding combat action and offensive magic as I explained above) from start until some time after Dawn.

And yes, I wrote the vast majority of the lore and did the world design up until then (history, religion, races, magic, geography, geology, biology etc.). Most of it was non-official though. I've been away for quite some time, but I'm doing my best in contributing to the team with some stuff right now.

It's good to hear you are contributing again! Don't back away from butchery, it is a brilliant system that adds such an incredible amount of depth and potential to the game. The fact that it was implemented before other things were set up like the trade broker, alternative sources of gold income, shouldn't tarnish such a powerful game mechanic and tool for designing interactions. Now if only catalysts were in place for butchery; salts, oils, water, etc. that contributed to yield, that would be even more win built upon a great base.

We need more complexity, puzzles, things to explore in that which is already implemented, please. Current state of the game is very friendly to new players, and those that just want to pvp all day, I would love to see some of the more in depth and complicated systems further developed.

It's good to hear you are contributing again! Don't back away from butchery, it is a brilliant system that adds such an incredible amount of depth and potential to the game. The fact that it was implemented before other things were set up like the trade broker, alternative sources of gold income, shouldn't tarnish such a powerful game mechanic and tool for designing interactions. Now if only catalysts were in place for butchery; salts, oils, water, etc. that contributed to yield, that would be even more win built upon a great base.

We need more complexity, puzzles, things to explore in that which is already implemented, please. Current state of the game is very friendly to new players, and those that just want to pvp all day, I would love to see some of the more in depth and complicated systems further developed.

I wouldnt really call butchery a brilliant system. Sure it adds depth and tedious stuff to the game, but the unintended effects it has on world spawns is huge. It reduces the time you spent farming outside of the guardzones, the usable loot you get from ganking farmers (raw materials vs stacks of carcasses), and fucks up the risk vs reward ratio of an open world pvp game. Just look at the minotaur dungeon where people dont just stock up in 5 minutes of useless carcs and run back to GZ, it has alot of good fights happening. This could happen smaller scale for the newer players too.

Also screws up with the economy, sure new players can sell their carcs to a butcher, but then what does the butcher do? Sell it all to the vendors, because its way more profitable to just keep butchering safe in the guardzone and never bother to sell anything at the brokers. It creates an artificial base price for the goods where if prices lowers its just more profitable vendoring it all. Thats my take on butchery, maybe it never got implemented "right" to address any of these problems, but like most things in this game, we only get to see the placeholder version...

I wouldnt really call butchery a brilliant system. Sure it adds depth and tedious stuff to the game, but the unintended effects it has on world spawns is huge. It reduces the time you spent farming outside of the guardzones, the usable loot you get from ganking farmers (raw materials vs stacks of carcasses), and fucks up the risk vs reward ratio of an open world pvp game. Just look at the minotaur dungeon where people dont just stock up in 5 minutes of useless carcs and run back to GZ, it has alot of good fights happening. This could happen smaller scale for the newer players too.

Also screws up with the economy, sure new players can sell their carcs to a butcher, but then what does the butcher do? Sell it all to the vendors, because its way more profitable to just keep butchering safe in the guardzone and never bother to sell anything at the brokers. It creates an artificial base price for the goods where if prices lowers its just more profitable vendoring it all. Thats my take on butchery, maybe it never got implemented "right" to address any of these problems, but like most things in this game, we only get to see the placeholder version...

This argument has been made hundreds of times, and it's as false now as it was the first time it passed for logic on these forums. Butchery didn't cause any of the issues you are talking about, a lack of alternatives to butchery did. That has nothing to do with the system itself, which is brilliant. It has more to do with other systems in the game. In more words, there was nothing stopping the existence of the Mino cave as it is, implemented before. There was nothing preventing bandits dropping 80s heads, or even from having skinning be more profitable and efficient, and none of that has to do with Butchery. That should be clear regardless of how many times the "I hate butchery" mantra is repeated. Correlation does not equal causation, so please, if you're going to talk about a system talk about the system, not "unintended consequences" that could be addressed in other ways.

Resin

The just sell it to the vendor issue could probably be addressed by switching over to a completely broker based system. Buy orders only, maybe with limited items that a npc would pay gold for (for the new-player friendliness). The majority should be market-based pricing, and should be watched and balanced by the devs if certain items have 0 value.

Irontengu

no... many many many items, have little value but not zero. making people destroy stuff that the market has no real use for is stupid, certain npc need to provide that bit of return for them. in fact the npc should buy anything anyone wants to sell it at the apropraite Npc and not just clogging the utility vendor.
the current market system needs to be left alone, the npc's are changing at a slow but steady rate already
the only market change at this time that i would think would be good is to cut the base tax charge of the trade broker by half so that people would use them more. TC is also going to bring changes soon i hope.

slydur

MATS SAVE THE LORE OF THIS GAME.
MATS SAVE NAVE!

no... many many many items, have little value but not zero. making people destroy stuff that the market has no real use for is stupid, certain npc need to provide that bit of return for them. in fact the npc should buy anything anyone wants to sell it at the apropraite Npc and not just clogging the utility vendor.
the current market system needs to be left alone, the npc's are changing at a slow but steady rate already
the only market change at this time that i would think would be good is to cut the base tax charge of the trade broker by half so that people would use them more. TC is also going to bring changes soon i hope.

not talking about the stuff with little value, but people vendor literally everything. There is no point in wasting time trying to trade the valuable stuff when you can just sell it all for a base price and keep on butchering, its just way more profitable..

Thread starter #38

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Confirmed. It was indeed a PM - I intended to polish it a bit and post it on the forums before more official lore was written, but never got the time.

Irontengu

that is the player choice to vendor or not the more valuable things, that should be a choice that never goes away