Mining to Metal: Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, that statement is somewhat miss leading. The awful part is leveling up the refine skill is just tedious and timing consuming.
I may be off base here... but if you don't like the refining system, don't refine? Someone else will be doing that, kill them and take their things... Or buy their metals and focus on craftin... when there is an economy when resources aren't infinite.

It's a pretty cool system based on real life stuff... finding out that calamine is limestone you figure out - "oh - that means I'm going to need pig iron, calamine, and coke in a blast furnace to make steel" - You don't have to mindlessly try different combinations - if you do a little RL research into metallurgy... if the RL system holds true...

Would be nice if they posted each in game material and their RL counterparts though - but then some of the fun would be gone.

Cuprum is copper if we knew what catalyst tin was we could make bronze...Bron

Lets figure it out.
Subbura (a sedimentary stone like sandstone) and the way you get tin in RL, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cassiterite, comes from sandstone... [/FONT]What do we get from Subbura, calspar... I dunno if that's a catalyst as I have not made my way to meduli to use it... but It's a good guess... so I'm 85% sure that Cuprum+calspar in a furnace with the right skill will give you Bron.

This system is at least 300% more fun than any other crafting system I've seen.

Mauzi

Status King
Nice info that, thanks alot !

Thread starter #45

Branwulf

I've added how to get Coke for people who don't know.

finding out that calamine is limestone you figure out
According to Mats limestone is Calx powder. Strangely enough, I can't get Calx powder through mixing Water and Calx Pile in the Crusher... How can you get this calx powder and is it indeed Calamine that's used for lesser healing?

I would love to be able to implement the planned "minigames" (it depends on what you mean by minigames) for the different stages of extraction and crafting in MO, but unfortunately they will take a lot of time even though they are "basic". Having to rely on "character skill" really hurts, but right now we really need to make sure extraction, alloying and crafting is even in the game!

edit: Your new avatar is really ..horrible. Is it because we introduce rabbits in the new patch? :p
I expected the "mini games" to be in the last patch. Obviously this was a misunderstanding from my side, but still it's disappointing to learn that we probably wont see them in game for quite some time. Oh well, keep it up Mats and yall, you're only humans doing a good job.

I see no problem with the crafting system, I love the complexity. A bit tedious and time consuming but this is a very good foundation to the greatest crafting system in any MMO I've seen to date. This being said, the rest of the game is lacking. How else is the average Joe going to get a weapon when first starting a character? Where are all the mobs? I would much rather have "stupid" mobs than no mobs at all. Couldn't you test AI locally and keep stupid mobs on the live server? Sorry for the rant but we have been lacking during the entire beta for NPC's. Sorry for the rant, it just seems that SV is focusing on crafting as their main selling point and leaving the rest high and dry.

well i tried the new refining skill abit and all i manage to get is 5 crashes with what i think was supposed to be right combinations and with some items it just said its not right combintion of items.. guess ill try again tomorrow

hmm good info :) just 2 quick questions. I have extracted quite a bit of Saburra to get Saburra Powder. When will my extraction skill increase (it hasnt yet) and when will i get the option make it into something more useful than saburra powder (something from a drop down list)? Thanks!

Ok, this says to make pig iron you take some Granum (I assume raw 'Granum Pile') and use "Catalyst Coal" while standing near a furnace?

Ok, so I live in Vadda and I am trying this. When ever I open the extraction menu next to a furnace I only have the option to select a material and not a catalyst.

Is there something wrong here? I did go to that wiki, and I am standing in front of the right station... but I simply can not combined granum and coal.

When ever I open the extraction menu next to a furnace I only have the option to select a material and not a catalyst.
That means you don't have enough skill to operate the furnace, I believe.

Ok, this says to make pig iron you take some Granum (I assume raw 'Granum Pile') and use "Catalyst Coal" while standing near a furnace?

Ok, so I live in Vadda and I am trying this. When ever I open the extraction menu next to a furnace I only have the option to select a material and not a catalyst.

Is there something wrong here? I did go to that wiki, and I am standing in front of the right station... but I simply can not combined granum and coal.
The latest patch released 2 days ago has its changes. You can't directly see the furnace anymore. You have to unlock the skill at higher levels now. Simply saying you need to go to Fabernum or MK to use the Hearth first, then level up the Kiln...etc. I'm still trying to find out how to unlock the furnace and blast furnace. But unfortunately, in this fast pace beta environment they might change it on next patch.

It'll take you 20-25 mins to walk to Fabernum from Vadda. It is worth the time, I think.

Can you draw me a map... 20-25 minutes knowing the way, 3 hours not knowing...

Mauzi

Status King
Can you draw me a map... 20-25 minutes knowing the way, 3 hours not knowing...
What kinda silly request is that ? Either explore, find a map yourself in the net or make friends ingame who show you the way.

I am already more than happy that people share some of their topic related infos here.

Refining is a little broken at the moment. Check this thread for a workaround: http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/29931-ore-extraction-you.html

I thought a thread for the sole purpose of clear information about getting the various metals might be a good idea, post what you know and i'll update the OP, correct me if there is anything wrong or i've missed something/additional info.

There are a lot of combinations to get to the same material result with different tools/catalysts. If you find a new way post and i'll add it.

Also if you can tell which methods give high yields, medium yields and low yields i'll add some reference onto the method.

Coke is obtained from baking(thermal appliance) Coal(Material) with Coal(Catalyst)
Coal(Material) is obtained from Crushing/Grinding Calx

Key:
(H) - High Yield (recommended)

List of workbenches for reference.

Pig Iron:
Granum + Rock Oil/Palm Oil/Water > Grinder/Crusher
Blood Ore + Coal/Coke > Furnace (H)
-or-
Granum + Coal > Hearth/Kiln/Furnace
Blood Ore + Coal/Coke > Furnace (H)

Cuprum:
Saburra + Rock Oil/Palm Oil/Water (H) > Grinder
Malachite/Amarantum + Coal/Coke > Hearth/Kiln/Furnace (H)
-or-
Granum + Rock Oil/Palm Oil/Water > Grinder
Amarantum + Palm Oil > Grinder

Bleck:
Granum + Rock Oil/Palm Oil/Water > Grinder
Amarantum + Palm Oil > Grinder
-or-
Saburra + Rock Oil/Palm Oil/Water > Grinder
Bleckblend + Coal/Coke > Hearth/Kiln/Furnace
Amazing how u worked all that out ,really helpfull tx :)

Status
Not open for further replies.