ser-va-tis cla-de

So, my best guess on a traslation would be:

Our sinking ship!
Our burning ship!
The foolish and unfaithful
have usurped its power!
Eternal Ones
Save us from this scourge!

It would appear that the clergy had become disgusted with society and perhaps activated the armillogia in an effort to save the world from the foolish and unfaithful....but instead they unleashed the Conflux.
From the website:

In connection with the Conflux something which is called the Great Washout befell Tindrem. The name is disputed but it probably originates from when the foul-smelling tanneries and fisheries in the northern part of the city simply sank into the ocean. Another theory which has been proposed suggests that the name comes from when all kinds of abominations that had anonymously thrived in the sewer system were swept out to sea to the horror of the residents during the following flood.
So the "sinking ship" could be the Great Washout, which was a punishment from the gods or something like this.

But I belive it is not. Simply because the time doesn't fit, but it could be something like that event or the events are connected.

I think it could be something that happend on an island / continent in ancient times and the hole island is sunken now, just like the legend of atlantis. The burning would be the war that happend before it sunk.

Maybe some reasearch on the legend of atlantis could give us a hint what armillogia is / could be, we already know that the devs get their inspriations from things which where there before....

And some thoughts of mine:

The island was the first thing and the flood taking down the "bad" is going on and threatening also the rest of the world, the Great Washout was just a little foretaste of what will come? (Have to say these thoughts go probably too far..)

Also i want to metion the order: The world, nave first sinks and then burns, but that could just be nonsignificant..

Mas

waiting on more info from the devs..........

Wow that's in depth, nice research.

**Most of the links in the first post are taking me to the same post in this thread. The post is not helpful or related to the link's description.**

I am a sculptor and fancy myself knowledgeable on western art history. From what little I was able to see, mostly from the Youtube video, the animation has little that can be gleaned from knowledge of the visual arts.

The only thing I can say is the drawings are analogous to the European Renaissance and not so much the European Middle Ages.

During the Middle Ages in western Europe realism, especially concerning perspective and proportion, was not a priority in imagery. Thus, a viewer will find much abstraction in art produced within this period. Examples include paintings with the baby Jesus where he is the size of a baby but has the bodily proportions of a full grown man or in the absence of ground plane (or a very shallow depth of field if there is one) in most paintings.

The orrery not only is shown with very accurate perspective, but perspective of circular orbits moving in circular patterns. Also, its shadows are rendered very realistically. Accurate proportion, perspective, and lighting are all focuses of Renaissance art.

Further, the parchment and terracota charcoal sketches comprising the image of the orrery are far more indicative of the Renaissance than the Middle Ages in style. Also, the Middle Ages is generally not known for producing many sketches on parchment.

My apologies for being of little help.

o_O
Its over dude...

**Most of the links in the first post are taking me to the same post in this thread. The post is not helpful or related to the link's description.**

This was caused by several deleted posts which caused the number order to be out of sync. The links previously showed very informative posts that contributed greatly to the findings on the counter. But as Adrala said, this was already over with the main finding that Nave is the name of the game's world.

o_O
Its over dude...
My apologies, from what else I read in this thread, which was nearly all of it, there seemed more to be learned from the countdown timer than the name of the world.

Thread starter #689

Rathius

Guess I need to fix my links then... good thing I've nothing to keep me occupied atm.

Mats has yet to give us more info on the Conflux as he said... *watches Mats* I'm watching you!

=====
Edited links in the original post. Everything should be in order now as long as nobody else removes posts.

=====
And hey, why'd the sticky get removed? This is all still very relavent, that and mats has yet to get back to us, lol.

There is no reason why we should end all discussion and let the thread die, if someone has more to bring there is no reason to stop them.

Thread starter #691

Rathius

There is no reason why we should end all discussion and let the thread die, if someone has more to bring there is no reason to stop them.
Precisely, this information doesn't cease to be relevant since the timer stopped. Much of this relates to what is coming in game, and can shed light on future events like this.

Shinzon

Honored Member
The counter was an example of the type of "Quests" you will see in MO, you have nothing but your own observation skills, and what you know to lead you to the next clue. No exclamation marks, nor any way points.

I appreciate that, thanks.

I did not mean to suggest there were more specific items of information to learn, but to try learning the character and technology level of the cultures in Mortal Online.

Further, the parchment and terracota charcoal sketches comprising the image of the orrery are far more indicative of the Renaissance than the Middle Ages in style.
Very observant of you. Tindrem and the Tindremic society in general are very inspired by Florence around the Renaissance, I'm sure you can find more parallels in the description of Tindrem ;)

And yes, the most important purpose of the counter was, and is, to spread more information and pieces of the MO lore.

you mean like when Da Vinci was alive?..and inventing stuff?

yea...it was obvious to me that the drawing and animation of the Orrey mirrored Da Vincis work..Do i get a cookie too?

Tindrem and the Tindremic society in general are very inspired by Florence around the Renaissance, I'm sure you can find more parallels in the description of Tindrem
The description for the Tindremene and the Tindremic Empire sounds more like Ancient Rome and Greece than Renaissance Italy. Togas and tunics are clothing most often associated with those cultures while patricians and plebeians are terms used to describe social classes in the Roman Empire.

The animation of the Armillogion device looks far more like art you would see produced during the Renaissance.

The level of technology and scientific understanding is closer to the Enlightenment. The Armillogion is a heliocentric model of the solar system and supposedly widely accepted in the Mortal Online world, something that did not occur in our world until Galileo (Italian, just like the Renaissance and Ancient Rome) refined and updated the telescope. And it was only widely accepted after one of the largest battles between science and religion in western culture.

It seems to me that Tindremic society is an amalgamation of all these times in Italian history - Ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and the Enlightenment.

It seems to me that Tindremic society is an amalgamation of all these times in Italian history - Ancient Rome, the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and the Enlightenment.
I would say that you are correct. I'm not an artist but I had a few semesters of some humanities during my university study. I think it was a semester of aesthetic when my teacher once specifically mentioned this big difference between visual art of classical era (ancient Rome and Greece) and middle ages and than again between the middle ages and the renaissance. If I remember correctly the main point was that concerning the art, renaissance is just a return of the classical era. In their creations the renaissance artists were strongly inspired by remains of antique art.

I think that we can assume that this gap between antique and renaissance was caused by the fall of Roman empire. The "barbarians" took the leading role in European history. Overall situation at the continent was not very favourable for the art. Survival of nations and their establishing was more important. During this "dark" period a lot of ancient artistic techniques and skills were probably forgotten. It is the reason why medieval art lacks things like anatomic perfection or perspective which we can see on antiques statues and frescoes. There is also a question what role the Christian religion and church played at that time. Were they art benefactors or suppressors? Probably both. It seems to me that symbolism (Christian symbolism) become more important than the perfection.

Now, lets imagine that the Roman empire did never fall or at least never lost its mayor role in history, never been replaced by the "barbarian" hordes. What would happen? How would the "medieval" art look like if all the artistic techniques would survive, never been oppressed by a church who would seen them as immoral (e.g. depicting of naked bodies)? And what if these techniques would develop further? I think it would just move from the classical era directly to renaissance. No Romanesque art, no Gothic (?), no Bayeux tapestry, no illuminated bibles. From Parthenon directly to Leonardo Da Vinci. And I think that this is the situation in the Tindremic empire.

Now, lets imagine that the Roman empire did never fall or at least never lost its mayor role in history, never been replaced by the "barbarian" hordes. What would happen? How would the "medieval" art look like if all the artistic techniques would survive, never been oppressed by a church who would seen them as immoral (e.g. depicting of naked bodies)? And what if these techniques would develop further? I think it would just move from the classical era directly to renaissance. No Romanesque art, no Gothic (?), no Bayeux tapestry, no illuminated bibles. From Parthenon directly to Leonardo Da Vinci. And I think that this is the situation in the Tindremic empire.
Yes, that makes much sense. Though from what little we know of it, The Conflux could replace the roaming "barbarians" in the lore of Mortal Online as the destroyer of empires, learning, and technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.