MO1 Keep spots ruins in MO2?

Thread starter #1
I think it would be neat if some keep spots and other important places built over the years in MO1 would be ruins in MO2.

The game has always been lacking on lore and such. But at least these places would have history for players to pass on.

Statue head-564w.png

Where Are The Interesting Ruins Of Yesteryear?
I think it would be neat if some keep spots and other important places built over the years in MO1 would be ruins in MO2.

The game has always been lacking on lore and such. But at least these places would have history for players to pass on.
I'm not against your idea. Architects in real life have sometimes considered how the ruins of their buildings would look in hundreds or thousands of years. It would be cool. But--

Don't you think a lot of players from MO1 will stomp on any lore given, hinted at, or baked into the game (as ruins, etc.) that says that 200 years or some similar amount of time-- enough time for ruins to get ivy-covered and interesting-- have passed?

Don't you think that most of those folks will just recreate their past & current MO1 characters, and continue as if effectively no time has gone by? I don't suppose that many of them (at this point in community participation) are all that interested in a timeline. Probably, a majority just want to get back to "it", whatever they were doing before. Because that might be true, I would guess that Star Vault won't go for the archaeological interest, aside from some stone feet (maybe) and gravestones-- but I hope I'm wrong for your sake.

View attachment 13076
I'm not against your idea. Architects in real life have sometimes considered how the ruins of their buildings would look in hundreds or thousands of years. It would be cool. But--

Don't you think a lot of players from MO1 will stomp on any lore given, hinted at, or baked into the game (as ruins, etc.) that says that 200 years or some similar amount of time-- enough time for ruins to get ivy-covered and interesting-- have passed?

Don't you think that most of those folks will just recreate their past & current MO1 characters, and continue as if effectively no time has gone by? I don't suppose that many of them (at this point in community participation) are all that interested in a timeline. Probably, a majority just want to get back to "it", whatever they were doing before. Because that might be true, I would guess that Star Vault won't go for the archaeological interest, aside from some stone feet (maybe) and gravestones-- but I hope I'm wrong for your sake.
My 2 cuprum, I think the idea of a ruined world from the past is kinda neat.

Thread starter #5
View attachment 13076

Henrik talks like much time will have passed. Hopefully that means that at least he is looking at it this way.

Also I dont think players are going to easily pick up where they left off. Things are going to be very different with the new skill points, no ftp and only single characters.

Sadly I dont think him or seb are visiting these forums much lately. So they probably will not see the suggestion anyway :(

Henrik talks like much time will have passed. Hopefully that means that at least he is looking at it this way.

Also I don't think players are going to easily pick up where they left off. Things are going to be very different with the new skill points, no ftp and only single characters.
Nothing wrong with giving sandbox players a nudge to remember their own or other folks' in-game history, or to play 'as if' time had passed between when they start playing and some significant earlier events (it is definitely one of the Things Henrik Said); if they choose not to, that's just a choice. SV should consider it, even if I can easily imagine that they'll skip it. They could surprise me.

Thread starter #9
Nothing wrong with giving sandbox players a nudge to remember their own or other folks' in-game history, or to play 'as if' time had passed between when they start playing and some significant earlier events (it is definitely one of the Things Henrik Said); if they choose not to, that's just a choice. SV should consider it, even if I can easily imagine that they'll skip it. They could surprise me.
Agree.

It really does not have to mean anything to those that do not care though. Just like it may not mean as much to players that where not here to have such a history.

But most players do expect a game to have history and lore. So why not build it with the players past, even if it does not mean something to everyone.

I just hope SV have plans to incorporate the old games player history into the new game somehow anyway. Even if it is just for novelty/nostalgia.

Time will tell I guess.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Some players already got gravestones in the game, RIP Silberauge and some other well known dead players. Thanks to StarVault to implement this in 2014. Probably new players never noticed the "real" gravestones or don't know about their history.

And we also got player designed capes some years ago, see e.g. the Wolfszeit cape designed by some German players.

So we have in a way real player history in the game. Why not create some ruins or artifacts or gravestones in the world of MO2 to remember certain events of the ten years of MO1? They must not be named to players or guilds (would be too difficult to decide), but could be more general like e.g. ruins of MO1 keep spots or spots of very heavy intense fights or server wars.

Sausage appears memorialised in Combat Alpha, already.

sausage-von-Diphrael-MO2-combat-alpha.png

Fig. 1: MO2 Sausages at a Food Vendor, courtesy of noted sausage fan & lifetime subscriber Diph*.

They may never be found floating in a lake, but they're still hanging around. By the way, the Aegis Imperium Sausage Classification Committee has tentatively identified those, numbered from left to right, as (#1 & #3) Thursar, (#2 & #6) Human, (#4 & #7) Alvarin, (#5) Risar, and last but not least (#8) Oghmir.

I personally would be really happy if the tiny model for Tribe Rats was updated and displayed "on a stick" by food vendors, as well.