MO2 - Death Penalty

Thread starter #1
This is going to be controversial, but I think revising the death penalty might be interesting for MO2. Right now if you die has a murderer you lose attributes, you also lose all your equipment (as does whites and greys).

What if instead the following happened:
  1. White gets attacked by red. White gets killed by red. White drops 1 random equipped item, and full inventory.
  2. White gets attacked by red and defends themselves killing red. Red still loses full inventory and equipped items BUT does not incur attribute loss.
What benefits does this bring? Basically, it's more forgiving for the majority of players. More forgiving means more players, which equals a healthier game. You're still risking your inventory loot and one random equipped item as a white. It's still risky and punishing to be a red.

There could be some caveats like if you're at war with an enemy guild, whether they're white, grey, or red, they drop full loot on death. This would make war way more of a judgement call and riskier.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who don't like these suggestions, but I ask that you provide thoughtful discussion as to why they couldn't work in MO2 or even why they could.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
That is one of MOs important fundaments, when you dont risk all your hard earned gear the loss is not thought about and the danger and excitement of combat/exploration goes out the window. The thrill of the chase and kill or be killed mentality is imo very important for MO to stay MO.

Hardcore for a reason.

Teknique

The idea isn’t with our merit. Hybrid systems or partial loot games like Albion and Gloria victis seem easier for people to stomach.

Thread starter #6
The idea isn’t with our merit. Hybrid systems or partial loot games like Albion and Gloria victis seem easier for people to stomach.
Albion is definitely a game of a full loot pvp mmo that works. It works because competitive gear is easy and fast to come by, so losing that gear isn't a huge set back. I'm A OK with full loot, but I don't think softening the death penalty is a bad discussion to have, especially if it means the game will obtain more players. I definitely DO NOT want to see full loot removed entirely, but offering varying risk and reward might not a bad thing.

Think of it this way, more players means more money for starvault, which means more potential employees and maybe more things they can do with the game.

Speznat

This is going to be controversial, but I think revising the death penalty might be interesting for MO2. Right now if you die has a murderer you lose attributes, you also lose all your equipment (as does whites and greys).

What if instead the following happened:
  1. White gets attacked by red. White gets killed by red. White drops 1 random equipped item, and full inventory.
  2. White gets attacked by red and defends themselves killing red. Red still loses full inventory and equipped items BUT does not incur attribute loss.
What benefits does this bring? Basically, it's more forgiving for the majority of players. More forgiving means more players, which equals a healthier game. You're still risking your inventory loot and one random equipped item as a white. It's still risky and punishing to be a red.

There could be some caveats like if you're at war with an enemy guild, whether they're white, grey, or red, they drop full loot on death. This would make war way more of a judgement call and riskier.

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who don't like these suggestions, but I ask that you provide thoughtful discussion as to why they couldn't work in MO2 or even why they could.
wrong game play your shit noob games, sry man youre wrong here. thats not mainstream shit get the fuck out here sry.

Bonifatus

Darkfall ROA has gone down this route, and there are many many new players fighting at certain lawful villages where loot does not drop.

It is great for new players, but it actually costs me more gold in durability than what I'd gain from killing someone there.

In MO however, this would be the most awful idea ever introduced. Keep it full loot.

Thread starter #9
wrong game play your shit noob games, sry man youre wrong here. thats not mainstream shit get the fuck out here sry.
This is why we can't have objective, constructive conversation and partially why the game (MO) is in the zombie state it's in. I like full loot, but I can still be objective and see why it's also problematic and perhaps a huge deterring factor for many players.

Here's two scenarios.

1) Game softens up the death penalty a bit. You still get full loot in wars, reds still drop everything. Blues drop inventory and a random equipped item. Larger player base that sticks with the game longer (hypothetically of course) since losing isn't as huge as a set back.

2) Game is just as unforgiving as MO1, players get discouraged, population of the game starts dropping and eventually bottoms out.

Scenario 1 is good for everyone, the game, the company and the genre in general. If MO2 displays some aspect of success, other companies might take note and try to follow it it's foot steps.

Scenario 2, you'll get your fun for a bit, make noobs cry and rage quit, game dies and you move on to the next game. Good for you, bad for everyone else bad for the developer and bad for the genre.

Thread starter #10
Darkfall ROA has gone down this route, and there are many many new players fighting at certain lawful villages where loot does not drop.

It is great for new players, but it actually costs me more gold in durability than what I'd gain from killing someone there.

In MO however, this would be the most awful idea ever introduced. Keep it full loot.
Yes, but why would it be awful. DFO and MO are very similar games. I guess one problem is there would be more gear in circulation which would hurt the whole easy come, easy go model.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
This is why we can't have objective, constructive conversation and partially why the game (MO) is in the zombie state it's in. I like full loot, but I can still be objective and see why it's also problematic and perhaps a huge deterring factor for many players.

Here's two scenarios.

1) Game softens up the death penalty a bit. You still get full loot in wars, reds still drop everything. Blues drop inventory and a random equipped item. Larger player base that sticks with the game longer (hypothetically of course) since losing isn't as huge as a set back.

2) Game is just as unforgiving as MO1, players get discouraged, population of the game starts dropping and eventually bottoms out.

Scenario 1 is good for everyone, the game, the company and the genre in general. If MO2 displays some aspect of success, other companies might take note and try to follow it it's foot steps.

Scenario 2, you'll get your fun for a bit, make noobs cry and rage quit, game dies and you move on to the next game. Good for you, bad for everyone else bad for the developer and bad for the genre.
Mo softened up and players started leaving in droves.

To my knowledge none of the hundreds if not thousands of players I knew from MO quit due to losing pixels but due to the game either changing, not living up to its promises, lack of content, corrupt staff, griefing or a mix of these. Most ex MO players I have spoken to after they quit says their most fond memories are the danger present at all times, that is until safe zones where introduced.

The Mortal Online you currently can play is a softcore watered down more grindy version of the original Mortal Online.

With Mortal Online 2 they have a second chance but I can guarantee you if they do the same mistakes or make MO2 more like late stage MO most MO vets will quit in a heartbeat, me included. This is simply their last chance to make MO the right way. How they promised so many years ago.

i would say remove stat loss for reds but give them respawn locations away from tindrem and main cities. whats the point of forcing them to beat a three with an axe just to get back their full stats. they should be outcasts away from civilization, not chopping three maniacs.

Speznat

I would say give everyone outside a town a grey flag, and if he goes inside a blue flag. if yomeone did something fishy or kiled someone he will be red. Unitl some guards killed him and took him into prison were he need to slag haul 10k granum for a npc to get out of prison. than he will be blue again.

problem solved. everyone outside town should be grey to people able to slaughter each other and a red should stay red until he mined his way free. that would be awesome.

But making Mo in any way softer is a shit idea. the danger and the fear are why we are still here after 10 years. if it would be like any other mmo (insert name of a casual shit games for noobs who cant take losses) i would have stoped long ago and played More Tarkov, or Rust.