MO2 Map Idea

Thread starter #1
What about having it so that maps are a physical item you carry and look at? What about having to collect pieces of maps? Or even go so far as having it as a craftable item that only a certain profession "scribe/cartographer" could make. You could even make it so that not all maps are created equal. So, one map may be very crude, while a higher quality one shows more detail. It wouldn't show where you are on the map, but it would still add to the exploration factor and in turn give players rewarding content.

I guess the flipside is that it could take away the vision the devs might have for new players discovering the world when another player has mapped it out for them, so pros and cons, but I think people would probably just google some kind of player made map in that case anyway, but in this way it adds content and makes for more immersion. I suppose at the end of the day no matter what happens, there will be some kind of map that you can google.

I'm new here, purchased mo1 back in the day but never really played, so please don't take offence if this has been suggested before.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Some days, in some ways, I really miss the 'Creative' rating, which this deserves. Even though IIRC every part of this suggestion has been made before, no part of it ever got farther into the game than the very frustrating system of drawing in pages from blank books-- more suited to portraits of goats than mapping.
Or even go so far as having it as a craftable item that only a certain profession "scribe/cartographer" could make.
Giving players a choice between any 'certain profession' the results of which can be gotten entirely outside the game, and some other craft or profession that gets results that can only be gotten in the game (like 'making weapons' or 'cooking') is going to end just one way, I think.
You could even make it so that not all maps are created equal. So, one map may be very crude, while a higher quality one shows more detail.
Making in-game maps that were all of the same quality wouldn't really add much. Unless they had different content, it wouldn't add anything to the map ecosystem.
It wouldn't show where you are on the map, but it would still add to the exploration factor and in turn give players rewarding content.
I take it that you are talking about a lootable item. :)
...it could take away the vision the devs might have for new players discovering the world when another player has mapped it out for them...
In-game maps aren't going to do that in any way more effective than the existence of out-of-game maps, over which Star Vault has no control. 'You', an average player, might think you're going to not use out-of-game maps, but will find out it's partly about what's expected of you by your guild-- i.e., they'll want you to know where things are 'like everyone else'.
no matter what happens, there will be some kind of map that you can google.
In addition to those that only members of certain guilds can access, presumably.

Thread starter #3
Thanks for the response! Mmmm I see your point. What would you suggest?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Thanks for the response! Mmmm I see your point. What would you suggest?
For SV to tough it out and make their players tough it out by never revealing their coördinate system or their master map; also by never letting bugs or GMs launch people high enough for an overhead view of more territory than can be seen from heights in the game; and, by getting rid of any territory control -or- marketplace maps and feeds, including those like in keeps and at trade brokers in Mortal Online 1. Keep that stuff secret, lock it down, take it out.

Those measures would make maps (player-drawn, as physical items to carry) as valuable as possible by eliminating alternatives. (Sounds like a new Dark Age, hm?) Doesn't sound like what the playerbase would like*, but what might be best in the long term: Get out there and learn the territory, not the map, or have your professional map-makers as you suggested, but make it worth their while by (as far as possible) eliminating the advantages possessed by their out-of-game competition.

[Of course, there may come technical explanations of 'why this won't work'; but, if it's technically possible, it should be done that way.]

The best thing about the map shown in Combat Alpha lying on a table or tacked to a wall is that it's just 'an approximation' or --in fact-- an asset copied directly from FFXIV. If you follow my reasoning: Unless Star Vault decided to make the (new, bigger) continent of Myrland into an exact copy of

Screenshot 2020-04-29-map-on-table.png

Eorzea (sp?), then this map in relation to Myrland is like the very old map of California that shows it as an island-- not all that accurate.

What about having it so that maps are a physical item you carry and look at? What about having to collect pieces of maps? Or even go so far as having it as a craftable item that only a certain profession "scribe/cartographer" could make. You could even make it so that not all maps are created equal. So, one map may be very crude, while a higher quality one shows more detail. It wouldn't show where you are on the map, but it would still add to the exploration factor and in turn give players rewarding content.

I guess the flipside is that it could take away the vision the devs might have for new players discovering the world when another player has mapped it out for them, so pros and cons, but I think people would probably just google some kind of player made map in that case anyway, but in this way it adds content and makes for more immersion. I suppose at the end of the day no matter what happens, there will be some kind of map that you can google.

I'm new here, purchased mo1 back in the day but never really played, so please don't take offence if this has been suggested before.
It has been suggested a number of times over the years, but never made it past the concept stage here on the Feedback and Suggestions section of the forums.

With MO2, there is a keybind for some kind of map function but not currently working, so my belief is that at some point SV may introduce the ability to view a map in-game but by no means show the position of any player including the player viewing the map.

Whether that map comes in the form of an in-game craftable item or is permanent part of the UI like the compass (which incidentally was planned at first to be a crafted item using cartography but was instead baked into the UI, if I'm not mistaken), is a mystery for now.

Last edited:

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
I would like to get a craftable compass which would drop like any other item.

And also e.g. bandits and other human NPCs could drop parts of maps, maybe local maps.