Mortal Online 2 Discussion

grasthard

We will just keep servers running at that point the two games will be vastly different since early MO2 will only contain a basic set of features.

sorry but isn't this the biggest mistake that happened at MO release as well?

i know that you don't have the resources or manpower to do a full release with tons of features etc,
but, for the sake of retaining players, wouldn't be much better wait a bit more time? then release MO2 as complete and as polished as possible?
in this way the hype of the game release (probably on Steam as well i guess) will draw in more players, which will then not quit after the first month or 2?

also have you discussed businesses model as well? sub-based mmos are are bit on the decline in the recent years, and players are nto very keen on playing a monthly sub unfortunately

i did say that current sieges is fun? nope.
but if you want pvp siege, you can siege rpk it seems most of members waiting for that any time of the day and night

wondering what kind of excuse you will say..
yeah easy to fight ninja sieges when ur guild is 90% of server population and have no life...

Yeonan

Trial Member
Its odd to see comments criticizing SV for their vision of things like no f2p, 1 character, 5 big continents etc.

Its clear SV isnt making the game to be accessible to most gamers. Their focused on making a very specific kind of experience.

Think of it like an instrumental jazz artist, they arent making their music to appeal to anyone other then those interested in that kind of music. And thats not a lot of people.

MO occupies a very small niche, i dont see that changing nor any reason it should.

MolagAmur

I don't mind the game being subscription based really...but it is known that cash shops are where the real income is. Having said that, the game being freetoplay would be a disaster if it ever became a bit more popular. Buy to play with cash shop is the sweet spot imo. Though, I'm not sure what cosmetics and such SV could do. Last thing we want is some funky cosmetics that break the immersion of MO.

I don't mind the game being subscription based really...but it is known that cash shops are where the real income is. Having said that, the game being freetoplay would be a disaster if it ever became a bit more popular. Buy to play with cash shop is the sweet spot imo. Though, I'm not sure what cosmetics and such SV could do. Last thing we want is some funky cosmetics that break the immersion of MO.
I agree that buy-to-play with cash shop is the way to go. The buy-to-play has to be cheap though, like 30 USD. But the game will attract far more people to try it with a free trial period, say 10 days with limitations (e.g., no pilfering).

As for the cash shop, along with the capes & loin clothes, it can sell house decorations, unique house styles, unique hair/beard/scar styles and colors, reroll tokens, access to special emotes, name change (with all previous names recorded and publicly accessible at the magistrate), guild banners/capes, shield insignia, graveyard spots for deleted toons (with names forever reserved), etc. etc..

MolagAmur

I agree that buy-to-play with cash shop is the way to go. The buy-to-play has to be cheap though, like 30 USD. But the game will attract far more people to try it with a free trial period, say 10 days with limitations (e.g., no pilfering).

As for the cash shop, along with the capes & loin clothes, it can sell house decorations, unique house styles, unique hair/beard/scar styles and colors, reroll tokens, access to special emotes, name change (with all previous names recorded and publicly accessible at the magistrate), guild banners/capes, shield insignia, graveyard spots for deleted toons (with names forever reserved), etc. etc..
Yep $30. I think the game may attract more people being free to play, but it wont necessarily keep them around. In my opinion, it is FAR easier to download some free to play game and give it a try for a few minutes...then if I don't like it just uninstall. Where as if I spent say $15 or more on it, I'm going to give it a least a couple hours unless it is just unplayable. Seeing how slow Mortal is at the start, or any MMO for that matter, I think more people will stick around a bit longer if they invested a bit of money into the game. Perhaps long enough to get them to enjoy themselves and continue playing.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
From a developer point of perspective this has been the best news since release. UE4 allows a much smoother experience, a lot better performance and graphics. UE4 is the engine SV needs and it will deliver a solid and Beautiful product which UE3 couldnt even come close to.

Im super excited for this as should any MO vet. Imagine all these 9-10 years as the newbie island and now MO can finally come out to the real world.
And the real vets and earliest players know by now that SV will just fuck it up again no matter how good the engine is.

Remember we saw MO go from a excellent game with TONS of potential and year after year dragged it further down and ruined it bit by bit until the shitfest of a game it is now....

If they have not learned and fixed the current game yet then they wont manage starting almost from scratch again.
To vets they need to finally prove they can before any sane vet would believe them again.
The many lies, broken promises and bad management has nothing to do with the engine. A paint job will only hide the rust not fix it you know.

having a larger map only makes the logistics of everything more complicated, time-consuming and straight up annoying imho (Sarducca was the prime example of that)
I'd like to see regional economies, none of which has everything it needs to craft all items.

back at the start, portable extraction tools didnt exist. fab had a crusher, meduli a grinder and grizzly. if you wanted to get the yields from any specific extraction tool, you had to risk and transport your mats to the other tool. You still see that now to a lesser degree, if you want to use the blast furnace or g.nat, you gotta bring your mats to them.

If it was hours travel between towns, any given area would see items that come mainly from the stuff you can gather in that area. People risking the transport of mats could reap great rewards, but also with great risk. imagine if sarducaa only had saburra, myrland only granum, and lykia only calx. scale it up so travel time is significant and suddenly people will use the mats they have available instead of only the finest ogh. iron would rule myrland, cuprum in sarducaa, and lykia would be full of animal mats.

all this being said, i'm not sure how then to spur conflict between the regions thats exciting, surely transporting goods for hours would lead to a ton of boredom and a brief flash of excitement as you get jumped by literally an entire continent.

-barcode

Capes , tiaras , fur coats / shawls in different animal feathers or fur (think of terror bird fur capes and such as a cosmetic), jewels , “rich” clothing with purples and other hard to find dyes embroidered with jewels , possibly some type of option for jewelry itself which could either have some type of social effect or just be for tha bling ...

Lots of cool things could be added to a cosmetic shop after a simple 30$ buy to own the game you could go to tindrem 2.0 and shop around an in game shop which would show you clothes , vet points could be added with real cash or accumulated over months of “donations” (previously called subs - which are no longer needed in MO2 to play fully but rather an optional donation that will get you a special skin for your choice of garment or armor - these skins change every month and are hand picked by devs for fitting some type of special lore occasion each month).

I don’t even care to purchase at Cash shops , but if the game was good enough and the textures and items looks awesome , I would see myself purchasing a few cosmetics here and there on top of buying the game !

I'd like to see regional economies, none of which has everything it needs to craft all items.

back at the start, portable extraction tools didnt exist. fab had a crusher, meduli a grinder and grizzly. if you wanted to get the yields from any specific extraction tool, you had to risk and transport your mats to the other tool. You still see that now to a lesser degree, if you want to use the blast furnace or g.nat, you gotta bring your mats to them.

If it was hours travel between towns, any given area would see items that come mainly from the stuff you can gather in that area. People risking the transport of mats could reap great rewards, but also with great risk. imagine if sarducaa only had saburra, myrland only granum, and lykia only calx. scale it up so travel time is significant and suddenly people will use the mats they have available instead of only the finest ogh. iron would rule myrland, cuprum in sarducaa, and lykia would be full of animal mats.

all this being said, i'm not sure how then to spur conflict between the regions thats exciting, surely transporting goods for hours would lead to a ton of boredom and a brief flash of excitement as you get jumped by literally an entire continent.

-barcode
This would actually be a great idea , the way we could naturalize this would be with a narrative of simple human progression that could be lucrative to follow in whatever fashion , wether it be by min maxing your characters and their builds or social status , increasing your empires technology of warfare equipment / materials , or by padding your bank account by making superior items using unique ingredients and selling them for top price ... real world trade back in the old days seems to go as follows: continent realizes it has metals , animals , or materials of some rare value that is pertinent to goings on in other continents for use of war , vanity , practical / cooking uses etc , that continent then gathers a shit ton of material / animal / resource and exports it out at the highest price available while also utilizing it in their own world....

Regionalized resources could include :

•Campodon only found in Lykia for their skin to stretch war tents out for craftable siege camps to resist any weather

•piggies and other high fatty animals that peasants and rich folk alike love to eat found in the plains of Herabalter

•ironwood trees in the depths of myrland essential for siege equipment

•bug juice from oases of Sarducca used for poisons to apply on arrows or knives and of course the largest supply of saburra any where in addition to the only place where Gamals are found ( they should be utilized better for not only fur clothing / armor with high heat resistance but they should also be the fastest animal in hot weather - all others should slow down over time due to heat, Sarducaa needs to feel like a punishing place this time around)

• gold and Silver from Nordveld for high end jewelry if your guild is creating some caste system and need to stick their guns (also enchanting jewelery could be a thing) plus having jewels on could separate you from the other peasants in an NPC guards eyes , tbis could be useful in certain situations like having stolen goods, so we can finally remove “connections” primary skill

•panther / nightshade claws from myrland jungle for high end animal made fist slashing weapon

•a wild rice from Herabalters plains that creates a stamina food that’s superior to any other ingredient found on other continents/region

•silk from Sidoia and possibly a specific wood that’s good for creating superior ships (yes we definitely should have sailing , especially with multiple continents and Sidoia could be the perfect place to introduce island life so to speak).

I listed a lot of those but they are fun to think of when you try to think of Nave as a real Life place with a trading economy across continents . I might not have hit all the big subjects that people would travel for , but the ones I listed were interesting enough to get some real ideas flowing . Also , each region and continent could also have its own magic school attached to its history ; causing more scrolls for that type of school to be found in that specific area . Sidoia staff magic , Myrland ecumenical , Lykia necromancy , Nordveld dragon magic , Herabalter Elementslism - and of course Spiritism would be found everywhere as most cultures / continents believe in the after life , hence all the respawns XD .

This new game could be a masterpiece of involved economics , large stories weaved by intertwining guilds with sociopolitical and economic needs - people will be travelling far and wide for wants AND needs , while some will accept a peasant life without much travel but also not much risk of death or danger , then there will be those seeking the riches of new worlds - willing to take it by force and guard it with their lives as their guild / empire tariffs these said goods to monopolize on its rare localization . Wars could be fought over materials and locations , as they were in history for so many years in our own real timeline . Battles should mean something , wether you’re dying for your king or pope to conquer mountains with ores useful for high end metal creation , plains with juicy animals and super grains , or forests with bendable durable wood for siege equipment ; it all has more meaning than pvp “just for the lulz” as we experience in MO1 .

I have high hopes for the situation of MO2 let’s hope that Star vault can do right by it

Last edited:
•Campodon only found in Lykia for their skin to stretch war tents out for craftable siege camps to resist any weather
Are Khurite villages and the capital campground still full of Campodon tusks? (Come to think of it, maybe they're *extinct* on the steppes.) Lykia seems like the place for, you know, lykiators.

Speznat

lets hope that mortal 2 comes before 2030 and with stunning and great visuals and newest and best grahics available at the market , and a atleast 1km render distance, otherwise i think it will be DOA. (Dead on Arival)

lets hope the best.

Yeonan

Trial Member
I think if b2p with a cosmetics shop is a road they go down, thats the road they'll stay on.

Id much rather see a sub-only model.

Maybe a selection of capes and loin cloths which can be purchased, but having a devoted "cash/cosmetics shop" will be a drain on content patches considering such a small team already.

Its not like they would need to spend all their dev time making cringey skins. They would only need a few core things on the shop. Sub tokens. Reroll tokens. Name change tokens. Maybe a token to go blue (you can make a viable fighter in sub 48 hours of macro). Bank space tokens. And some not over the top cosmetics. A few capes and stuff.

An idea I had that could be really cool is to ditch the dying skill, and make it so in the shop you can pay to have a dyed version of the armor. And you can make a custom dye when you do. And then you can pick to make that armor dyed when you craft it. And they could make the dye not drop on death for all I care. That could sell really well cuz people who want to blow $ on cosmetics can. They can pay to get each armor type dyed. And pay for diff colors. Loads of $ minimal effort that wont hurt gameplay or break immersion.

Like dying is cool but its a mega pain to make most dyes for your armor and you have to re make the dye every time you want to dye. So it might aswell be made easier and turned into a buyable thing to support the game.

And then we could not completely cut f2p cuz cutting f2p in 2019 is a bad idea.

Yeonan

Trial Member
They would only need a few core things on the shop. Sub tokens. Reroll tokens. Name change tokens. Maybe a token to go blue (you can make a viable fighter in sub 48 hours of macro). Bank space tokens. And some not over the top cosmetics. A few capes and stuff.
Dear lord, bank space? Blue tokens? Henrik specifically stated he wants to go away from p2w stuff and thats right up that alley.

If they make 20 capes and put them up on a shop to start, sure go for it. Then maybe do a yearly cape contest. Once it becomes a cash shop with seasons, deals, etc itll take up way too much dev time.

And then we could not completely cut f2p cuz cutting f2p in 2019 is a bad idea.
Ew. Why? The f2p crowd isnt exactly the most mature.

The fewer squeaky 12 year olds i have to deal with, the better.

Once it becomes a cash shop with seasons, deals, etc itll take up way too much dev time.
one would assume it would be making enough money to afford bringing an artist in to focus on the cosmetic shop, else its simply not worth having.

-barcode

We want Malturns glowing eyes

Dear lord, bank space? Blue tokens? Henrik specifically stated he wants to go away from p2w stuff and thats right up that alley.

If they make 20 capes and put them up on a shop to start, sure go for it. Then maybe do a yearly cape contest. Once it becomes a cash shop with seasons, deals, etc itll take up way too much dev time.

Ew. Why? The f2p crowd isnt exactly the most mature.

The fewer squeaky 12 year olds i have to deal with, the better.
People already have alt spam and tind has 3 banks. Banks space isnt p2w its just convenience. And I can power macro a new fighter to max speed max damage with moderate heavy armor t in under 48 hours while im sleeping and playing other games. So blue tokens arent p2w either. But I dont actually think blue tokens are a great idea they are just an assorted item that could be an example of a not skin item.

And on f2p. I only tried this game because it was f2p. And I got my friend to try it with me. And together we have easily spent over 1k usd. If there was no f2p we prob never would have tried it. And many others are prob the same. And some people may not care to play enough to sub but could still play f2p and be more players in the world making it more fun for all the people subbing.

I'm not saying to make MO an appeal to the masses mass f2p players and sell tons of micro. But I just really dont think mo could even make it in 2019 no f2p. I've slowly been realizing that open pvp mmo is just a dying genre. Being a small dedicated niche doesnt even cut it any more because gamers would rather just go play survival or BR or a normal MMO 99% of the time. Theres so many games on steam that arent even decent that have thousands of players on at a time. MO can barely even hit 100 peak anymore with f2p. Darkfall is pretty much dead. Gloria only has players cuz its super carebear and you only have to pay once. Theres just an infinite amount of reasons for players to not chose open pvp sandbox mmo's. So anything making it harder to even try the game is bad. So unless MO2 is super polished with an amazing reputation its going to have a hard time in the current game market.

And I'm not here to dumpster on MO I just want MO2 to not fail lol.