Mortal Online 2 Discussion

Give us MO2 !!!! We do not want MO1 !!!!!
It's going to be a while before that becomes a reality.
However if what I've heard from devs is true and MO2 will be released with the bare bones of

Crafting, Combat, Mounts, Ecunemical

it will be great, just like the very early days of MO
I just pray they learned their lesson with TC (I like TC as a concept but mechanics behind it are not good atm)

Keurk

Non-PvP players (i.e. they are not solely dedicated to improving their individual PvP ability) should be viable partners for PvP players within the same community. That however can only be achieved with in-game mechanics making it viable.
But it is kinda what is happening tho. Many people that don't care about PVP are not being killed on sight, are usefull in many things and even some PVPers who do not have multiples accounts finally rely on them too. You can see people like Sebastion who never do pvp and acquired a big respect in this game and it made many people including me just avoid the guy when we knew it was him because he s providing things, other things than pvp, and helping the game be alive by farming, trading, doing his own shit with his house. There is many people like that, the environement is already in place for all thoses different people to play with the sand in the box. The pvp, however, IS the end game in mortal, and always been the core feature of this game : combat. In such games ,the end game content, being it pve or pvp, should be a lot about TC and politics. You want to farm the best mob to get your ivory hide, or your silk ? you will need to constantly consider both, pvp and pve , cause the place might be walled off, cause there is maybe people farming it.

All in all, i think it is the best mix ever you can have without artificial stuffs or restrictions. Restriction in sandbox is either the tools provided by the game, or the player himself. Where starvault did not help at all with how this game evolved is,while wanting to make it a purely solid sandbox with a lot of different tools, some of thoses tools were badly implemented and made every kind of playstyles suffer. That is not because pvp really. That s because the adrenaline rush disapeared quickly, with more safety everywhere. Thats because breeding completly fucked the way you pvp, pve, and changed entirly mount standards to make 1 mount pre dominant above all, invalidating many others and deeply impacting taming. That's because pve was badly done or never properly worked to make it very interesting for pvers, and at same time the loot table were very fucked up for a long long time. I remember Heretix working a lot on loot table suggestions to improve the pve aspect of the game for all new and end game content. Finally , data breach, massive ammount of players lost their account or all what they had. Some are still waiting for an answer from starvault to recover account, it will be 1year that shit happened in a few months. Really i don't think any pixels loss by people in game could massively harm the game like this thing did. 3years of forum content got lost. etc. PVP is what did bring people in this game, not the opposite!

You can see people like Sebastion who never do pvp and acquired a big respect in this game and it made many people including me just avoid the guy when we knew it was him because he s providing things, other things than pvp, and helping the game be alive by farming, trading, doing his own shit with his house.
I have often wondered, and it is a fair question, if the occasional respect @Sebastion gets from the kill-everything-that-moves faction and the way (as you describe) that many people avoid the guy when they know it's him has anything to do with the fact that he was openly identified as being part of the Focus Group.

(That the Focus Group were identified by username was not the greatest thinking on the part of Star Vault.)

If there was anything he could do to advocate for what some folks wanted, or even if they just thought he might be able to, that could easily be enough to affect their behaviour. He could be totally innocent and yet the situation could cause this.

Oh, well, nearly all the water's gone under the bridge

twice, by now, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Keurk

I have often wondered, and it is a fair question, if the occasional respect @Sebastion gets from the kill-everything-that-moves faction and the way (as you describe) that many people avoid the guy when they know it's him has anything to do with the fact that he was openly identified as being part of the Focus Group.

(That the Focus Group were identified by username was not the greatest thinking on the part of Star Vault.)

If there was anything he could do to advocate for what some folks wanted, or even if they just thought he might be able to, that could easily be enough to affect their behaviour. He could be totally innocent and yet the situation could cause this.

Oh, well, nearly all the water's gone under the bridge

twice, by now, if you know what I mean.
i have you on ignore list but somehow i did click on checking content this time.
I do not really think being part of the focus group did affect the way this player is being threatened or not by others. I think there is many people experiencing the same thing as Sebastion. And i doubt many of thoses know he s in focus group label. Myself even, while i know, did not think about focus group since years. Maybe it did affect this some years ago, i don't know.

i have you on ignore list but somehow i did click on checking content this time.
I do not really think being part of the focus group did affect the way this player is being threatened or not by others. I think there is many people experiencing the same thing as Sebastion. And i doubt many of thoses know he s in focus group label. Myself even, while i know, did not think about focus group since years. Maybe it did affect this some years ago, i don't know.
Yeah, The focus group thing is a tag left over from many years ago. Pre-Awakening if I remember correctly.

I guess it possibly could have effected some that are not aware of what it is. But I would like to believe that is more about how I have presented myself in the world/forums over the years as the main reason some players have come to respect me as a neutral player.

@Keurk

Perhaps I misused the term "community", I meant being within the same political faction. There needs to be a reason for players of all preferences (if you intend to have a sandbox game) to share allegiance. You need to prevent the "PvP-only vs Everyone Else" social split, but not necessarily by forcing them into the same Guild. Additional in-game social tools like Guilds are probably needed to achieve this.

Things needed for new players such as myself

- Free2play model like Oldschool Runescape ( For Mortal Online 2)
- Cheaper Membership (most would pay 5-8 dollars instead of 15-20 for one single month)
- Add a map instead of a Compass (This is Necessary if you want to keep a player base of new players)
- Runescape Tutorial Island has to be done in Mortal Online 2 ( The tutorial in this game sucks balls and doesn't give you the tools to fully understand this game)
- Game needs quest similar to OSRS (What's the point of a huge massive world without any lore? You usually get them from doing quest..)

This is all that would be necessary if you want to keep a new Player base. Not having those features on the next Mortal Online, will guarantee the death of the game on arrival.

Things needed for new players such as myself
- Add a map instead of a Compass (This is Necessary if you want to keep a player base of new players)
- Runescape Tutorial Island has to be done in Mortal Online 2 ( The tutorial in this game sucks balls and doesn't give you the tools to fully understand this game)
- Game needs quest similar to OSRS (What's the point of a huge massive world without any lore? You usually get them from doing quest..)
No map. An in game map is no fun outside of any player craftables.
Quests are no go either, however I wouldn't mind something along the lines of what classic EQ did with quests, MO devs should definitely take a look at what's going on in UO Outlands though.
Steal borrow ideas like research materials/lorebooks etc. Which you complete for high tier maps that include lore bosses The outlands guys doing an excellent job at revitalizing UO far better than Legends of Aria had hoped imo

Really should look at what's going on in successful freeshards considering Mortal originally takes its inspiration from UO.....

Jatix

Let me try to be more specific. There are two guilds. Guild A has 30 players of which 20 are good PvPers and 10 that simply harvest and mince about in combat getting in the way. Guild B has 30 good PvPers. Guild A cannot produce anything that Guild B cannot. The only thing that matters are the number of good PvPers, 20 v 30. If equally skilled, victory will go to the 30.
Wrong. The 30 quit because they didnt want to farm gold and pve grind mats 24/7 and afk their builders which is what matters in the end.

MolagAmur

But it is kinda what is happening tho. Many people that don't care about PVP are not being killed on sight, are usefull in many things and even some PVPers who do not have multiples accounts finally rely on them too. You can see people like Sebastion who never do pvp and acquired a big respect in this game and it made many people including me just avoid the guy when we knew it was him because he s providing things, other things than pvp, and helping the game be alive by farming, trading, doing his own shit with his house. There is many people like that, the environement is already in place for all thoses different people to play with the sand in the box. The pvp, however, IS the end game in mortal, and always been the core feature of this game : combat. In such games ,the end game content, being it pve or pvp, should be a lot about TC and politics. You want to farm the best mob to get your ivory hide, or your silk ? you will need to constantly consider both, pvp and pve , cause the place might be walled off, cause there is maybe people farming it.

All in all, i think it is the best mix ever you can have without artificial stuffs or restrictions. Restriction in sandbox is either the tools provided by the game, or the player himself. Where starvault did not help at all with how this game evolved is,while wanting to make it a purely solid sandbox with a lot of different tools, some of thoses tools were badly implemented and made every kind of playstyles suffer. That is not because pvp really. That s because the adrenaline rush disapeared quickly, with more safety everywhere. Thats because breeding completly fucked the way you pvp, pve, and changed entirly mount standards to make 1 mount pre dominant above all, invalidating many others and deeply impacting taming. That's because pve was badly done or never properly worked to make it very interesting for pvers, and at same time the loot table were very fucked up for a long long time. I remember Heretix working a lot on loot table suggestions to improve the pve aspect of the game for all new and end game content. Finally , data breach, massive ammount of players lost their account or all what they had. Some are still waiting for an answer from starvault to recover account, it will be 1year that shit happened in a few months. Really i don't think any pixels loss by people in game could massively harm the game like this thing did. 3years of forum content got lost. etc. PVP is what did bring people in this game, not the opposite!
When OMNI was around I set up an agreement with FOR that we wouldn't attack them in return for 20% discount on their items. That there is what a true sandbox is all about. I think with MO2 only giving us a single character per account, dedicated trader will be busier than ever.

Wrong. The 30 quit because they didnt want to farm gold and pve grind mats 24/7 and afk their builders which is what matters in the end.
I always find it amusing when someone quote-criticizes the beginning of a post without reading "and understanding" to the end when their reply is exactly what I go on to say...

Problem 4: Farm-grind
... a game world populated by a majority of PvP-dedicated players. With quick access to competitive PvP this is not a problem. But that is not MO. No, in MO you need to farm-grind both as prerequisite for PvP and then as punishment if you lose. Not only that but most of the non-PvPers have left so the PvPers have to do everything! This results in the losers getting tired of the farm-grind and the population cannibalizing itself.

@OSRSGod

Tutorials, mini-maps, compasses won't save a game that is fundamentally unfun over the long term.

@WestArcher

I am in total agreement that these should be features that you craft in-game.

When OMNI was around I set up an agreement with FOR that we wouldn't attack them in return for 20% discount on their items. That there is what a true sandbox is all about. I think with MO2 only giving us a single character per account, dedicated trader will be busier than ever.
Yet they still quit?

MolagAmur

Yet they still quit?
They quit due to SV, like like everyone else.
Exactly what Dalacor said. I'm not sure if you realize how long those guilds were around and how well things were going for awhile. Just lack of content and insanely bad patches is what ultimately drove everyone away.

MolagAmur

Quests are no go either, however I wouldn't mind something along the lines of what classic EQ did with quests, MO devs should definitely take a look at what's going on in UO Outlands though.
Steal borrow ideas like research materials/lorebooks etc. Which you complete for high tier maps that include lore bosses The outlands guys doing an excellent job at revitalizing UO far better than Legends of Aria had hoped imo

Really should look at what's going on in successful freeshards considering Mortal originally takes its inspiration from UO.....
While I agree having no map was fun in the beginning...now it is just a hassle. It's a hassle because there is mortalonlinemap.info that everyone uses and when new players ask about a map you have to send them to the interwebs rather than just having it in game.

There is quite a bit to explore in this game, and I believe player maps could still be a thing if they did the fog of war map style. Basically when you start fresh you cant see anything on the map, then as you explore you basically fill in your map with where you have been. This could allow players to make maps of where certain dungeons are, or resources, etc. But again, most people would just use the mortalonlinemap.info site to see it all for free.

Having a map ingame is fine IF there is no GPS, anyone can just search pockets map on google anyways, but having an arrow pointing out your char location at all times is what really kills the sense of exploration IMO.