Mortal Online 2 Discussion

How to not make MO2 shit

Don't host the servers in Europe.
Don't favor a certain group of players just for being a large portion of the player base.
Don't make mounteds stronger than foot.
Don't make fall damage do a lot of damage.
Don't make the game Zerg friendly.
Don't make the continent too big.
Don't emphasize empire building, town building istead (no walls)
Don't make the game playable by logging out.
Don't add in excessive TC.
Don't add in lock on based AI projectile that shoots through walls. (in fact make guards melee only)
Don't make mobs clip through walls.
Don't make the graphics worse for the sake of optimization.
Don't base the game on fantasy. Base it more on reality.
Don't create steep terrain.
Don't make crafting and farming take a long time to do.
Don't make farming boring. Minigames for doing stuff.
Don't make pets stronger than a player.
Don't make buildings if players can't go inside of them. Why is tindrem just a bunch of boxes?
Don't make traveling take a long time.
Don't punish people for dying. Losing their gear is already punishment enough
Don't let people transfer their stuff. That will break the economy. start with a completely clean slate.
Don't put the biggest city in the corner of the map, put it in the middle.
Don't put the best materials in one corner of the map. Put them in the middle of the map.
Don't let people have more than 1 character.
Don't let people name change.
Don't create a test team full of current players. The current players are a huge contributing factor to why MO is a failure.

Also: Build the foundation of MO2 within the SpatialOS GDK. SpatialOS is literally everything that persistent world MMOs need, and SpatialOS games have a lot of extra attention drawn to them. free promotion.

Howdy!
I don't dare talk to much about our plans but I think I can straighten some things out here.

We have NO plans on shutting down MO once we release MO2. We will just keep servers running at that point the two games will be vastly different since early MO2 will only contain a basic set of features.
We plan to then re-add and build upon the game adding features one by one from MO to MO2. It will take a while..a while.. to implement the now massive amount of features that MO2 has.

This means that for a long time MO will have a LOT more features while MO2 sticks to the core while we build it up again.
Re-adding features will be quicker than the first time we did this ofc, the new engine is better, a lot of server stuff can be re-used and also I'm better at doing this and we have more programmers but it will take time.
Ok Seb, so what is the new engine? The latest version of UE?

Also: Build the foundation of MO2 within the SpatialOS GDK. SpatialOS is literally everything that persistent world MMOs need, and SpatialOS games have a lot of extra attention drawn to them. free promotion.
This snippet

When you play game since 2013, and still have the items you used.. It's hard to let go.
I figure most people won't enjoy it because how is this going to be different than Mortal Royale?
We just want the normal things in game fixed so the vets will come back and make real money for the game
I would even advertize on social media platforms to build the audience
We would pay real money for real fixes
The thing is , this game is too far unbalanced and too far gone . The devs have no passion for it anymore, they clearly want a game that excites their player base and themselves more so than a game that has 100 more problems after 50 are fixed .

A fresh start is what has been needed for years , ever since the devs gave into the vocal minority and didn’t wipe the server when it was riddled with cheaters , duper’s and glitchers , we’ve needed a wipe so badly .

On top of that , the devs added far too much content and planned far too much (harmonism , sign magic , and dragon magic ? Ya that was never going to happen) and didn’t focus on balance , bug fixing or lore building for years , and all of that imbalance just kept piling up .

They would need a team triple their size working dedicated every day including weekends towards a proper balance and bug fix patch for months if not a year or more to push out a decent amount of fixes that would even bring a couple dozen old vets back and that’s just not enough , not to mention the months of planning it would take SV to realize what type of mega patch they wanted to tackle (what fixes / balances / improvements do they focus on type deal).

It’s just far easier to let go of the past and move on , the game has been antiquated for years now , realistically how many more years could a shaky game with a small player base go without massive improvements (that again , like said above , would take at least a year for a massive overhaul of this game)?

How to not make MO2 shit

Don't favor a certain group of players just for being a large portion of the player base.
Don't add in lock on based AI projectile that shoots through walls. (in fact make guards melee only)
Don't make buildings if players can't go inside of them. Why is tindrem just a bunch of boxes?
Don't let people transfer their stuff. That will break the economy. start with a completely clean slate.
Don't put the best materials in one corner of the map. Put them in the middle of the map.
Don't create a test team full of current players. The current players are a huge contributing factor to why MO is a failure.

I agree with legit everything except :

Don’t create steep terrain - this is not good if we want to create cliffs , large steep mountainsides that are intraversable , without some steep areas the world will look ... unattrally hilly ,and the “don’t set the world in fantasy” doesn’t need to be a thing because I think we can all agree the lore of MO was very interesting (which is very much so fantasy related) and also the magic (mostly elementalism) would be amazing to see on a new engine with better graphics. .

oykd

How to not make MO2 shit

eu devs eu server for all deal with it. also group of people playing together for years and they have all mounted combats and shit good breed horsies pvp skill ! every mounted i came across all of them suck on foot.

I dont really care about losing mats. But losing armor books and lores will be really sad. I didnt get those because it was fun I got them so I could have more fun later with cool stuff. Losing all that will be pretty sad and will prob make a lot of players quit.

But a full item wipe is necessary cuz all the prepatch and duped aids. But MO2 really needs a different item system so prepatch items never exist. A wipe without changing that will be pointless.

but I'm still not sure how MO2 is going to be made in a half reasonable amount of time when a new island has taken like 6 months + and game is supposed to have a new bigger world and everything...

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Take MO2 as new game. Of cause materials, characters and houses/TC can't be transferred. And hopefully will not. The skill system will change, the world will change. Do you really think every bank, every city and every player house and keep will be transferred? In this case MO2 would start with a world full of items and houses.

With a "wipe" (better call it new game) everything starts from scratch like at release days.

Years ago I always argued against a wipe because the ideas to store all characters but remove all items and leave the world the same would be bad for the player base. If you know about wipes but don't know when they are coming you will not start some long term activities. But with a new game only the old guilds would stay, maybe even split and reorganize, but everything else has to start again.

Yeonan

Trial Member
but I'm still not sure how MO2 is going to be made in a half reasonable amount of time when a new island has taken like 6 months + and game is supposed to have a new bigger world and everything
MO2 feels like a very recent decision. I'm talking like 2-3 months ago it wasn't even being considered.

Maybe they just realized one day that all the work they are doing to rework all these different systems (AI, noob island etc) it just makes more sense to start fresh on a new engine in a new game, so they decided to scrap noob island, scraps all the reworks and will focus on MO2.

From a business angle it makes the most sense

Kuroi

MO2?
one char one account?

interesting.

-I'm still kinda laughing inside that all this is now being announced
As a vet from 2013...
things don't change this fast and things in mortal that needed to be fixed weren't.

Bet MO2 will have the same problems

Guards/NPC's that can teleport and are so OP they have infinite mana
Walls aren't walls, They are there just for looks and so many bugs still allow npcs, guards, and even mounts to go through

I'd like to see no nodelines within miles of the city. Lol every 20 seconds of running I have to pause for 5 seconds in game -- No due to my processor or graphics card. Yet playing other mmorpgs with higher graphics is smooth

Whole issue with blocking being broken,

This is MO's chance to prove to us !

Inb4 Mortal Royale.2

MO2 feels like a very recent decision. I'm talking like 2-3 months ago it wasn't even being considered.
maybe they started to feel the squeeze of no monies and so needed something to put on their stock reports to warrant a cash infusion from investors who only read buzzwords to make their decisions

-barcode

Oh yeah this again

Even better Updated list:
Smooth gameplay
Smooth gameplay
Smooth gameplay
Smooth gameplay

MolagAmur

I was following Mortal Online development a decade ago, but wrote it off when I saw what game engine you were using because I knew it would never work right for the type of game you wanted to make. So I played Darkfall Online instead which had a superior engine and netcode for large scale openworld fps combat...

Now that Unreal 4 is out and has shown to be viable for this type of game and Mortal 2 is switching to it, Im once again highly interested.

However I know enough about CURRENT MORTAL ONLINE to know that transferring items over is a TERRIBLE IDEA for both the in-game economy of Mortal 2 AND it's population.

Mortal 2 being a full wipe and relaunch will bring in FAR more new players, money, and FUN

With everything else you're doing WHY TAINT MORTAL 2 by NOT having a fresh start for everyone?
Exactly this.

I would love to hear more info about what they think should “transfer” and overall I hope they release a guide or large status report covering all info they can think of pertaining to the switchover and MO2 in general . Also I would love to see some updated graphics screenshots to prove that this change will increase graphics significantly !

I know graphics are “superficial” and everyone writes them off as something that can’t hook players , but I truly believe updated graphics will help a lot to pull in and retain a decent population as long as combat is still interesting and the game isn’t as broken as mo1.

How to not make MO2 shit
Why not? Us EU people like it. If your argument is that they should be in the US because there are more US players, then how does that add up with the following statement?

Mini-games could break the immersion. But I agree that waiting for a butcher timer or crafting a milion gloves isnt the best way to farm/skill up. Idd like to see a way that you craft armor manualy by combining and arranging the components in different ways where a better job gives higher quality. Of course it needs to be script protected.

This has my full support. Although I think its very cool to see large dangerous pets, its totaly ruins the combat being about skill. Zergs I can live with, OP pets are game breaking.

Some things SHOULD take a long time. Every journey should be a dangerous and risky adventure. I remember the old caravan that used to bring saburra power to Moh Ki regularly. I thought it was amazing how you could make transporting an inofficial profession by pure game design.

I can only assume that you are talking about stat loss. Youre not punished for dying, youre punished for murdering a large amount of people. Still, I agree that stat loss is a really awkward way to do it in. Its not realistic, doesnt make any sense and the result is 15 min of AFK macro. Simply being red and attackable by anyone and not being able to go into towns is punishment enough. With the introduction of guild priests its only a punishment for poor players anyway.

Putting everything in the middle of the map is a very good idea from an architects point of view, but not from a game designers. You need to have several different areas have unique resources to promote trade and activity. You cant have everyone farm everything in one spot. The more valuable a resource is, the more remotly it should be placed.

i just hope they fix the economy, and all the other stuff, so it will be a game worth playing this time.
SWG in a fantasy world, with pvp was the dream.

with the announcement that there will be a reset, when it comes out Mortal 2, the economy and population in mortal online will fall, personally I will not spend my gold on objects that who knows if they will exist in MO2, the gold will be saved, maybe they can use it in the new mortal. It is my opinion.