Mortal Online 2 on Google Stadia

Thread starter #122
There is a little prediction I would like to be able to point to in the future and say "See, I said it".
Amazon and Google will either develop, or update an existing engine to incorporate something called Microservices.
Microservices are basically the reason why millions of people can watch one video simultaneously or make orders of the same item.
In the game engine, these Microservices will talk to each other over the companies intranet and have quick access to data and resources.
A Microservice can be a player, an NPC, an AI or whatever

There is a little prediction I would like to be able to point to in the future and say "See, I said it".
Amazon and Google will either develop, or update an existing engine to incorporate something called Microservices.
Microservices are basically the reason why millions of people can watch one video simultaneously or make orders of the same item.
In the game engine, these Microservices will talk to each other over the companies intranet and have quick access to data and resources.
its just the ping would be fucked. This is not a solo Fps its a mmo game so on top of the lag you’d normally get you would have the lag from the strata and it would not be pretty. Even if they programmed the game to be a little slower so it could compensate it wouldn’t be want mo was.

Thread starter #125
1590136089407.png

Watching videos simultaneously is due to multicasting and the use of UDP packets, not microservices.

The microservices look like they reference the internal structure of services like rendering, AI etc. being distributed over different hardware which are then essentially multicast to all users simultaneously, like a livestream for example. Everyone can tune in to watch the same broadcast.

In their example the only difference is they are taking user input and using that to alter the "broadcast".

It's a neat concept, centralizing the processing to what is essentially a network of supercomputers, so the "broadcast" is the same for everyone and you can circumvent some desyncing etc.

But in all honesty that video felt a little misleading because it's not much different than how a regular PC works. Different parts handle the processing of different services. It's just scaled up to a very large array of machines.

Thread starter #127
Watching videos simultaneously is due to multicasting and the use of UDP packets, not microservices.

The microservices look like they reference the internal structure of services like rendering, AI etc. being distributed over different hardware which are then essentially multicast to all users simultaneously, like a livestream for example. Everyone can tune in to watch the same broadcast.

In their example the only difference is they are taking user input and using that to alter the "broadcast".

It's a neat concept, centralizing the processing to what is essentially a network of supercomputers, so the "broadcast" is the same for everyone and you can circumvent some desyncing etc.

But in all honesty that video felt a little misleading because it's not much different than how a regular PC works. Different parts handle the processing of different services. It's just scaled up to a very large array of machines.
A regular PC is not much different than how a calculator works.

And a calculator is not much different than calculating with pen and paper.

Everything that your computer runs you can also do with pen and paper

It's just exponentially faster and that makes the difference

Also Google knows their Hardware, so they can optimize the shit out of it.

The biggest chunk of computer game bugs comes from the fact, that something can run smoothly on one machine and crash another due to different hardware

Google Stadia, one of the biggest fails ever conceived by Google(Alphabet).

Why would I bet on something that is already in the past?

No it isnt? I think you are misunderstanding what microservices are, and are not.

Google Stadia is a neat idea, but cant argue that it is flopping atm. Making a bet on their player base being double of its current playerbase is a bit of a joke at the moment, considering double of what it is now probably isnt anywhere close to what they had at launch, or even half that, if Destiny player count is anything to go on, or thumber leaderboards.

Udklip.PNG

Last edited:
Thread starter #133
Alright, what about I give you my definition of a Microservice and you give me yours?

A microservice is a code unit of a more complex program, that can get executed on its own instance (a CPU or a virtual CPU). It usually handles a specific functionality of that program.

Microservices are mostly docker containers, or lambda (gcloud or whatever) functions.

They can scale quite easily. If demanded multiple instances can launch of a Microservice.

The reason why Amazon and Google came up with Cloud functions is because they had to build the infrastructure for it themselves first in order to scale.

But maybe I am wrong. So can u tell me what you think a Microservice is and can you tell me how their backend is scaling for billions of requests?