Mortal online COMBAT alpha feedback/suggestions

Thread starter #1
Firstly let me start by saying great job Starvault, it's really good you've gotten out an early alpha to help smooth out bugs and get the game finished with higher quality/efficiency.

BUT, from what I've seen your combat system has not been thought about deeply.

Issue 1) the fourth blocking direction, Starvault says that it raises the skillcap but this doesn't make sense, it makes it HARDER for a player trying to parry attacks (which takes skill) as they have to block a fourth way, whereas someone spamming attacks (this takes NO skill) now has an extra direction to spam, making it easier to spam and discouraging players to parry, meaning more brainless hit trading (just because other games have 4 directions doesn't mean it works for mortal online).

It also makes it harder for a talented played to fight outnumbered as the opponents have more ways to individually swing on the person (you'd be surprised by how many people get surrounded by 4 people at once)
PS mouse controls are horrible for block, keyboard all the way.

Issue 2) slowing your mouse rotation during a weapon swing. Again rotating whilst attacking with a weapon was talent, just clipping someone and quickly rotating to run away kiting and chipping away at people. This games combat is better fast paced like in MO1 you should not slow down the combat to be like other games or for more realism, that isn't what made mortal great, it was surprisingly fast melee combat with little skills that were useful tools such as this one

Issue 3) I'm praying this is just a bug/content missing, but a quote from the release post says otherwise.
"You can also parry/block and counter attacks"
In combat when you parry someone your counter attack is so slow that someone could just attack you if you counter attack off a parry making parrying practically pointless in combat again LOWERING THE SKILL CAP MASSIVELY making the game purely a game of trade hit.

in conclusion these issues combined make the game lack any skill in the pvp and the game is purely trade hitting, whoever gets the first hit or has the best gear has the win, you won't even be able to dodge/flick in a trade hit fight.

DO NOT try to make mortal online something it isn't, realism isn't the final goal, these things made mortal unique and skill based, because I was very excited for mo2 until I saw these things, now I'm just confused

in conclusion these issues combined make the game lack any skill in the pvp and the game is purely trade hitting, whoever gets the first hit or has the best gear has the win, you won't even be able to dodge/flick in a trade hit fight.
I guess I need to render some videos later today. This is soooo false. I would even go further and say MO2 is more skill based because you now can use terrain to your advantage, such as trees, to block hits.

Did you notice that when you central block you can block overhead strikes. It's not a parry but a block... So better than nothing. So it's more like 3 1/2 directions.
The only disadvange I see is that currently it's hard to block to the different directions. But with some tweaking of the mouse/blocking control, such as making looking down a central block, I'm fine with it.

Parrys might not be super fast, but they do damage of a fully charged hit. They neighter felt op, nor did they felt underpowered.