Mortal Online Map - New Version

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if map markers could only be made by registered users but comments can still be made by everyone - would that be enough you think? I can understand fake markers being an issue but comments are hidden away so its easier to overlook fake info or slander there.

Ive almost finished a quick feature to help with this. Whether the user is a guest or registered - when I have to delete a marker or comment, the user who created it will be unable to post anything else for 24 hours or something. Perhaps a longer time period for each offense.

I think it would be enough, you don't want to make it to complicated. Using rating systems and all that can be exploited by other guild members rating fake markers etc. Registered users can only make starting posts and unregistered users comment only. I think is best and simplest option.

how about delete the map

If the intent of this map is to know where the "action" is, why not make markers last an hour. People can update the map when there is a fight, and there will be less need to create 25 comment long flame wars full of B.S. that will be seen for days. Not to mention, 90% of these markers happen after a fight.

Unless, of course, you like it the way it is.;)

If the intent of this map is to know where the "action" is, why not make markers last an hour. People can update the map when there is a fight, and there will be less need to create 25 comment long flame wars full of B.S. that will be seen for days. Not to mention, 90% of these markers happen after a fight.

Unless, of course, you like it the way it is.;)
I like it the way it is. Sometimes the flame wars make me chuckle.

Thread starter #66

slyy

Small Update:

- Markers created by guests are now hidden until approved (changed - optional now)
- Viewing a marker created by a guest shows their guest name
- New tools to restrict guests and members if their markers get deleted

This may have to change but hopefully it will help for now. Approval will be only for stripping out obvious fake info and abuse - therefore inaccurate battle reports may still get through. To fix this in future, registered members will be able to view and vote on guest markers to approve them instead of me.

Coming Soon:

- Possibly the same approval system for guest comments
- Rating system for comments and low rated ones hidden by default
- Guests can change their name and other information without registering
- More benefits for being registered and more power to higher rated members
- High rated members will be able to help moderate guest markers and comments

Hopefully this high rated membership system does not get abused and exploited via bias affiliations within the political substruct of MO.

Avargol

All it is now is what tower got hit, kind of blah

Zergi

ppl should realise by now how overpowered the map is,
i mean EVERYONE can see when a tower is getting attacked
but the MO game mechanic is meant to only notify the tower owners guild and not the whole server

Mo-ack

Yeah if have to give Zergi right the map is to pwerfull.The map also waste so many things that MO stands for.

MFG Mo-ack

Kryzen

Oghmium Supporter
Found this to be a very useful tool to learn the map when starting the game! Cheers

Thread starter #74

slyy

Small Update:

- Guests can now change their nickname inside the Website Settings box
- Guest markers which are not yet approved will now show up again by default
- In the website settings (top left) you can choose to hide non approved guest markers

To change your guest name, write in the box and it will go green if its allowed and red if not. Reasons for not being allowed are - already taken, too short, disallowed characters etc.

- It will only save your guest name when you click the Return To Map button.

I dont use the map and quite frankly dont understand how this program can be allowed access to Server information. It seems to me that this makes too much information public, almost as harmful as server wide chat in game would be.

Thread starter #76

slyy

I dont use the map and quite frankly dont understand how this program can be allowed access to Server information. It seems to me that this makes too much information public, almost as harmful as server wide chat in game would be.
These vague descriptions make it seem a lot more powerful than it actually is. The "server information" your talking of is only control tower data. Its the exact same data the official map uses, except they choose to do nothing with the HP info. "Making too much information public" is only tower attack messages.

As for if these things are harmful or not, that's up to the community and SV combined. So far, when this has been brought up in the past neither the community nor SV have chosen to make a firm stand. There is only ever 1 or 2 people prepared to speak up against it. When I first included tower information, I also included HP bars for every tower. I was asked to remove this and only this, which makes me assume SV is ok with the rest.

The debate has come up many times, people should make their opinions known here. Removing a feature is no issue as long as enough people actually want that.

My opinion : the tower attack messages which is actually the only thing your talking about, is a positive thing. The drawbacks of others knowing your tower is under attack does not compare, to the benefits in pvp finding and creation. Sometimes the game needs a little nod in the fun/arcade direction instead of being strictly simulation/realistic all the time.

These vague descriptions make it seem a lot more powerful than it actually is. The "server information" your talking of is only control tower data. Its the exact same data the official map uses, except they choose to do nothing with the HP info. "Making too much information public" is only tower attack messages.

As for if these things are harmful or not, that's up to the community and SV combined. So far, when this has been brought up in the past neither the community nor SV have chosen to make a firm stand. There is only ever 1 or 2 people prepared to speak up against it. When I first included tower information, I also included HP bars for every tower. I was asked to remove this and only this, which makes me assume SV is ok with the rest.

The debate has come up many times, people should make their opinions known here. Removing a feature is no issue as long as enough people actually want that.

My opinion : the tower attack messages which is actually the only thing your talking about, is a positive thing. The drawbacks of others knowing your tower is under attack does not compare, to the benefits in pvp finding and creation. Sometimes the game needs a little nod in the fun/arcade direction instead of being strictly simulation/realistic all the time.
By that logic, server chat channel and teleports should be in game. You have to admit that would make finding PvP easier right?

The thing is, sometimes a guild or individuals want to be stealthy and do not want a zerg to come down on them. They may be prepared to fight against the controlling guild but not nessesarily anyone who happens to have heard a "ping" from your map.

Thread starter #78

slyy

By that logic, server chat channel and teleports should be in game. You have to admit that would make finding PvP easier right?
It would but its obviously a step too far. The tower attacks msgs is debatable but teleport isn't :p

The thing is, sometimes a guild or individuals want to be stealthy and do not want a zerg to come down on them. They may be prepared to fight against the controlling guild but not nessesarily anyone who happens to have heard a "ping" from your map.
Yeah I get that and have been in those shoes. However my opinion is that the advantages out weigh this.

Interested to see if many others have a strong opinion either way.

I think the map part that lists all the resources and creatures should be removed, and the spawns randmoized. As it is now there is no happiness to be found when you find something. Before I knew there was a map I found some donkeys and steppe horses on my way to that middle lake. But of course now that I know every one knows about every good spawn well. They mise well just put in game map, I mean its not difficult to follow the map.

Status
Not open for further replies.