New Dev Blog from Paratus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resin

I don't see how someone could think it is not realistic to have murders and killers in the arena.

Who else would you expect to be in there??:confused:
/agree - it would be interesting if you had different arena gear options if you red than if you were blue though, I think thats how the romans would have done it ;)

I would also like to see some eventish arena fights - like the fight talking place among 30 Belbus while the arena slowly fills with water as well. Fun stuff.

PoeX

Silver Supporter
Agreed. I think it'd be the best way to do it in a manageable way, most other ways would go over board or be too easy to ignore/get around, though even that'd be pretty easy to get around with all the multi acct users.
There will always be loopholes.
But, take me for example. I have 2 accounts. 4 red chars and 2 crafter chars I can just craft out of towns and run out with my mats. So that system I talked about would hinder that atleast.

Right now - as the system is - it doens't matter to me if I die because with a statloss free preist at the keep, I don't give a shit about dying. I just run back to the keep and ress and just regear. No punishment imo, more of a marathon run in ghostmode, but you can do that semi afk.

PoeX

Silver Supporter
/agree - it would be interesting if you had different arena gear options if you red than if you were blue though, I think thats how the romans would have done it ;)

I would also like to see some eventish arena fights - like the fight talking place among 30 Belbus while the arena slowly fills with water as well. Fun stuff.
Most experienced PvPers are red, it's a fact that we cannot deny. By only having blue chars in the arena, it would be quite boring after a while, the same old faces fighting and we would almost never get to see the super match ups we all want to see.

Gigamo vs Orcork - who wouldn't want to see that? (granted, gigamo doesn't play anymore). But just an example.

Diphling

The Desperado
Chuluun, one thing about the wardec system- it actually works if everyone uses it. Guilds are allowed to force a wardec, and if both sides are actually fighting then they can mutually agree to a wardec.

Reds need more punishment, but by no means should they be barr'd from joining the arena.

Lahuzer

VETERAN REWARDS!!!!!!
MUAHAHAH FINALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU GUYS CAN THANK ME ALL LATER IN GAME WITH GOLD!!!!!!!!!

i guess all the bitching, pming, talking to mods finaly paid off!!!!

if this comes true i wont even try df2.0 thank you sv for bringing back hope!
and be sure that i will sub another account and donate to you guys!!!
3 DF players disliking your comment? ;)

Hertix

I like it: new pve content for new/solo players (not much info on that though) and arena for the pvpers who aren't getting their fix atm. Throw in weapon balancing and we are on track, but I imagine the arena will serve as a good testbed for seeing what weapon types are being used and which aren't. Time will tell.

Also, the arena is open from the outside as well with no guards around it, and of course criminals will get to participate, pretty much everyone who fought in the arena in Rome was a criminal or slave.

I like it: new pve content for new/solo players (not much info on that though) and arena for the pvpers who aren't getting their fix atm. Throw in weapon balancing and we are on track, but I imagine the arena will serve as a good testbed for seeing what weapon types are being used and which aren't. Time will tell.

Also, the arena is open from the outside as well with no guards around it, and of course criminals will get to participate, pretty much everyone who fought in the arena in Rome was a criminal or slave.
Where is it exactly?

Zeeraha

Glad to see that devblog is running, devs must put it as a weekly task so community is always hooked for news. I was really excited when I read that arena will be introduced. This is basics for PvP. IMO, SV is on a good track and hope to see that all players (red and blue) can fight in arena. Lore can easily explain why reds are allowed in arena: they are in role of a gladiator who can be from any part of society, and it is their risk taking to enter the arena, red and blue on equal grounds.

Also, Arena should feature matchmaking mechanism by player arena rank or otherwise it could turn into pit of grief.

Good news is that newbs will get more content for them. IMO, it is important that they are introduced to aesthetics of MO gameplay and that they should expect no traditional quests and besides PvP player can enjoy in great crafting system and player based economy unseen in other MMOs.

Incarnadine

This is Bernajos. Why the hell are you posting on another name?

Chuluun, one thing about the wardec system- it actually works if everyone uses it. Guilds are allowed to force a wardec, and if both sides are actually fighting then they can mutually agree to a wardec.

Reds need more punishment, but by no means should they be barr'd from joining the arena.
The wardec system is horrible, I can't count the number of complaints I've heard about people war-deccing and X guild dropping members til they wanna make a trip to whatever town, do a ninja gank for a little, then get kicked from guild til they feel like doing it again. Then the people who drop guild to blue block mid fights.

This is Bernajos. Why the hell are you posting on another name?

Yea Bran knows as it is my koto alt. I got in trouble after someone cried on the veil book selling thread about my double entendres lol.

The wardec system is horrible, I can't count the number of complaints I've heard about people war-deccing and X guild dropping members til they wanna make a trip to whatever town, do a ninja gank for a little, then get kicked from guild til they feel like doing it again. Then the people who drop guild to blue block mid fights.
Yeah, blue blocking and neutral heals are a pain in the ass. It is sad, I dont think i have ever actually been killed by anyone but a guard during a wardec.

Was just gonna say that. In Rome, you kill someone, you get thrown to the lions in the Colosseum!

Allastar

Yea Bran knows as it is my koto alt. I got in trouble after someone cried on the veil book selling thread about my double entendres lol.
Bah, what is this lameness. Come back bern!

t2ddyb3ar

Nothing about these scrolls? Cmon sv you can work on pve all you want but if there's no rewards in pve noone wil bother doing it.

Kuroi

So how should reds properly be "punished"? Statloss is pretty minor, houses fix supply issues so towns arent needed. Yes there are those who are red from bad mechanics, but they rarely get far enough in red that they cant afk those MC's off over a few nights. The real red players are too far in for that and thats because they ARE murderers. There should be a con for the pro of being able to kill at will.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So what about players who want to get involved territory control or events without buried by the too large and continually increasing cost of gear/combat preparation? Feels like the dev team is totally out of touch on the real problem here, players who are interested in the hardcore aspects of MO but tired of the massive grind. Things like massive timers driving up prices are the issues that really need to be addressed. Devs really need to understand that "casual" players and those who want to get fully involved in the game, but don't have the time or inclination for long periods of grinding are two totally different groups.

The arena isn't an unwelcome feature, but it's a very minor one. I'm interested in wars and combat out in the world, not the sort of "instanced" combat that can be easily obtained from other games. The blog post is appreciated, and the additions added aren't bad by any means...it just feels like the really big issues with the game aren't being acknowledged at all.

Shinzon

Honored Member
The arena has more implications than catering to the reds, blues or whatever veterans that you want. It gives a good opportunity for new players as well; and I think that's the thing that's worth more than anything else. If you can get a new player hooked on MO's combat, then imagine what will happen when you have new players coming out of Tindrem with starry eyes and enough experience to actually do something?

Hopes we can watch the fights ...
Hopes we can throw tomatoes at the looser ...
Would be a nice "tutorials" for new players ...
Don't forget sound ambiance in there ... emotes with sound effects ilke booing /cheering for spectators & roaring for fighters.
Will pets be allowed ? Mages ? Mounted characters ?

More important :
ALLOW US TO BUILD ARENAS IN PLAYER CITIES !!!!!

Incarnadine

So what about players who want to get involved territory control or events without buried by the too large and continually increasing cost of gear/combat preparation? Feels like the dev team is totally out of touch on the real problem here, players who are interested in the hardcore aspects of MO but tired of the massive grind. Things like massive timers driving up prices are the issues that really need to be addressed. Devs really need to understand that "casual" players and those who want to get fully involved in the game, but don't have the time or inclination for long periods of grinding are two totally different groups.

The arena isn't an unwelcome feature, but it's a very minor one. I'm interested in wars and combat out in the world, not the sort of "instanced" combat that can be easily obtained from other games. The blog post is appreciated, and the additions added aren't bad by any means...it just feels like the really big issues with the game aren't being acknowledged at all.
Please don't take this as an insult or slander man...

But casual players don't get as "fully" involved war and territory control wise. That takes more than casual effort (unless you're in a guild doing it, in which case THEY would typically be supplying you most the time)

The grind for gear itself is really, not that bad. Spend a day farming and you can supply yourself with good basic quality gear (steel sword incis armor) for over a week easily, that's counting dying each day.

Hertix

Territory Control is boring without population. What "increasing cost" of gear/combat prep? The mining/extraction system hasn't changed for over a year for weapons, you can say high tier scale and bone are getting harder to come by but they are supposed to be "high tier" horned scale and ironbone are very easy to farm. "Massive timers driving up prices"? What timers were introduced? How would prices be going up? The casual player system is something they said they are looking at in depth right now but didn't give any information on this "new system" That would have been nice to at least have some hints I know. The arena is a great feature to keep the pvpers entertained and centralized in certain locations. This is a large plus for a decent portion of the population of pvpers who are starting to play other games because they can't find anyone to fight in the small amount of time they have to play. I am very curious as to how the system will work, and I think placing bets if done right can be a very fun hobby for people.

This is very good news and if it is as close to completion as they make it sound it could boost the population while they can continue to work on content, bug fixes, prediction, AI, itemization, magery, balance, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.