New World Testers will need to find something new to play.

Thread starter #1
I wonder if many of these displaced gamers will find their way to MO?

I’ve been trying to find out more about what is going on, but Google search seemed to show the alpha test is alive and well, and opening up for more testers.

Have I missed something?

Thread starter #3
They are ending the current alpha testing phase and they are taking down the servers and forums Monday.

They say they have learned a lot and will now focus heavily on further development of the game.

New rounds of testing is said to come after some months of development.

The game is fun for awhile in its current state. But over all I find it a bit hollow for a sandbox. So I am glad to hear they have larger things still in the works.

Teknique

Trial Member
Short Answer: no

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Lets hope not. Right now is the absolute worst time in MO history to begin playing the game.
Even including at Steam release?

Thread starter #8
Lets hope not. Right now is the absolute worst time in MO history to begin playing the game.
I agree that it is slow and not the most ideal time. But far from the worst. There have been many lows in MO's history.

Population wise absolutely. Game play is certainly better then after Awakening. The subscription price, lack of new content, data breaches, and MO2 announcement have nearly killed this game.

I'm looking forward to the Island as my last chance to enjoy playing Mortal.

MolagAmur

Its the worst time because this game is basically going to be forgotten about after the starter island is released. Once that is out I'm assuming they will be moving things over to MO2. Why would anyone want to start on an MMO knowing that it's going to be replaced in the near future? Also the population is non-existent.

Thread starter #11
Its the worst time because this game is basically going to be forgotten about after the starter island is released. Once that is out I'm assuming they will be moving things over to MO2. Why would anyone want to start on an MMO knowing that it's going to be replaced in the near future? Also the population is non-existent.
Its true. I find it hard to play currently because I dont know what the future will be like after MO2 is released. But if MO2 is pretty bare bones when it first comes out then It will make it easier to get back into MO.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
if MO2 is pretty bare bones when it first comes out then It will make it easier to get back into MO.
From what Seb has said,

Howdy!
...I think I can straighten some things out here...
"We have NO plans on shutting down MO once we release MO2. We will just keep servers running at that point the two games will be vastly different since early MO2 will only contain a basic set of features.​
We plan to then re-add and build upon the game adding features one by one from MO to MO2. It will take a while..a while.. to implement the now massive amount of features that MO2 has.​
This means that for a long time MO will have a LOT more features while MO2 sticks to the core while we build it up again. Re-adding features will be quicker than the first time we did this ofc, the new engine is better, a lot of server stuff can be re-used and also I'm better at doing this and we have more programmers but it will take time."​

MO2 will indeed be pretty bare-boned when it comes, and the migration will be slow. And by some Law of Nature, it will probably take at least half again as long as *he* thinks it will. "{Q}uicker than the first time we did this" doesn't have to mean very fast-- wasn't progress on Mortal Online glacially slow, the first time around? (It could get a lot faster and still be a year-long or longer process.)

But, if you want an excuse to quit, there you go.

MolagAmur

So Mortal Online will continue to be a cesspit of decade-old dupes and exploits, while MO2 is a "barebones" fresh start. I'd put my money on where 90% of people will be. MO will be nothing but people who like to look at their pixels or the people who enjoy doing PvE(which is what it already is today).

The starter island is already bringing a lot of excitement and will more than likely house majority of players...and its quite barebones itself. The island is going to be a MO2 waiting room. You can forget about Myrland and Sarducca...

Due to the indefinite fledgling flag for new players unless they choose to give it up, the newbie island may very well be a Trammel, of sorts, in MO. We may see many players flock over there, for a time.

Since housing, TC, better materials, mounts and loot, bigger landmass, giant monsters, advanced skill books, etc are all in the mainland, eventually those with the thirst for adventure, discovery, character advancement, and making their own mark on the world, will come to the mainland.

We (and I) will be waiting to greet them in our own respective ways.

I believe we will eventually see those new players move to the mainland, and those who don’t will probably remain on the island to enjoy the safer but limited experience with likeminded players, or quit eventually.

But if they do quit, at least they will do so not because of graveyard-ganking or priest-camping, as it is the case now and back in September 2015.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
The starter island... will more than likely house majority of players...
A majority of the number playing now-- though people like to exaggerate how few that is based on the correlated but not exact "Steam Numbers"-- isn't all that many. A Haven is smaller than Myrland, and there can be more than one, so no need for it to get crowded. (#10)
...and its quite barebones itself. The island is going to be a MO2 waiting room.
For those who like the idea better than MO2 itself, there'll be no reason to leave Haven in MO2, either.
You can forget about Myrland and Sarducca.
In a way, haven't most folks playing now done exactly that? They either seldom or never leave one or the other; their interests tend to lie on one continent.
Due to the indefinite fledgling flag for new players unless they choose to give it up, the newbie island may very well be a Trammel, of sorts, in MO. We may see many players flock over there, for a time.
That will suit some players, at least at first. Possibly some of them will love those places forever and never leave.

If enough of them never leave they'll find themselves separated from those who come later, or from at least some of those who came earlier, by being on different instances of Haven. Interesting kind of way of making really big zergs of newbie-craving vets move around from Haven to Haven. Perhaps they'll get split up by random assignment as & if they reroll.

Wondering:
How well will the
  • one-account-per-player (SV wants this, if it's possible)
  • one character-at-a-time (SV intends this, and can make it happen-- so it will)
  • one experience of Haven per *new* character (starting in MO1, where Haven will make its debut)
things work out?

I predict that any or all of these things are only going to bother some fraction of people who have played before, and those folks (unless SV goes out of business) will, over time, become a minority in the Mortal Online player community.

People who have ever played this game before and might still continue or play it again-- whether they like the innovations, upgrades, and changes or not-- will become a minority of potential Star Vault customers, over time.

<Omitted two paragraphs about rocking / hover chairs, mounted combat with the tools of geriatric medicine, and that old trick where the senior waits for the grandkids to ask him about 'The Wars' and then tells them they couldn't handle the truth.,>
Since housing, TC, better materials, mounts and loot, bigger landmass, giant monsters, advanced skill books, etc are all in the mainland, eventually those with the thirst for adventure, discovery, character advancement, and making their own mark on the world, will come to the mainland.

We (and I) will be waiting to greet them in our own respective ways.

I believe we will eventually see those new players move to the mainland, and those who don’t will probably remain on the island to enjoy the safer but limited experience with like-minded players, or quit eventually.
Or, past the point of "there is no longer any return to MO1", those who don't want the mainland will spend a lot of time re-rolling.

Sounds like something for everyone, especially those who swear they have skills that game mechanics can't give them through reading books or points spent in-game.

I will be on noob island 24/7 xD

Making it the Party Hard Island.
I'm hearing a lot of excitement from many different players planing to return and play exclusively on Haven when it releases. 2019 is the year of retro vanilla gaming.

The full nudity and gore is bound to get some attention from gaming sites, no doubt, when nude colonies and bloodsports begin to appear on the island, since everyone who wants it can feel safe to do so without fear of rampant thieves and axe-wielding murderers on horseback.

The mainland may become a very, very lonely place indeed. MO may become a very different game on the newbie island when it arrives. At least for a time. We will see how it all plays out, human behaviour is unpredictable.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
So, with the Empress already on board for this haven of cultured leisure, I guess we know where future Emperors will rule from in absentia from Tindrem?
We may see more of Consul Emperialis Opus (CEO) Henrik on the island who is probably play-testing the place and building his new custom stone mansion estate there as we speak, I’m guessing.