Newbie Mage questions

Thread starter #1
Hi all,

there are some newb's questions about magic schools in MO and character development. I don't understand how it works. I know it could be annoyed for experienced players, but I hope someone could answer:)

So, for example there is a character - a Mage with 100 skill points (SP) for Ecumenical and Mental skills.

If I'd like to explore as more magic schools as I can. So my questions...

1. For example I can get elementalism / necro spell book from a cave. And I will read this book. What will I get from these spellbooks? All inactive scrolls / spells? All active scrolls / spells? Just increasing Elemental / Necro Magic School lore and that's all? Or ...?

2. What should I do with elemental or necro seal keys, if I get an elemental or necro spellbook? I have to find scrolls for each spell in the spell book?

3. If I find / buy some necro / elemental scrolls and keys for some spells, but I won't read elemental / necro books, can I use these spells? What is difference between using these spells in case
- I read necro / elemental books (and get necro / elemental Magis School skill points)
AND
- in case I DON'T read necro / elemental books (and DON'T get necro / elemental Magis School skill points)?

4. If I have some necro seal keys, there are illegal items, what does it mean? Can I visit guarded towns / cities like Tindrem with these keys in my inventory? Can I put these keys in a bank in any guarded town / city? How can I buy or sell illegal items like seal keys?

5. There are a lot of chests in cities and jungles, dungeons etc. I read they can have scrolls inside, but they are closed. Do I have to use just lock picking to get it? Or there are other ways to open these chests?:) Where can I get keys for example?

I have a lot of other questions and I hope I can get help here. Thanks:)

1. For example I can get elementalism / necro spell book from a cave. And I will read this book. What will I get from these spellbooks? All inactive scrolls / spells? All active scrolls / spells? Just increasing Elemental / Necro Magic School lore and that's all? Or ...?
You will only get the Elementalism / Necro skill which will allow you to cast the spells. It does not unlock the spells.
The spells must be acquired separately.

2. What should I do with elemental or necro seal keys, if I get an elemental or necro spellbook? I have to find scrolls for each spell in the spell book?
The seal keys are used to unlock spell scrolls.
The unlocked spell scrolls are then placed into a spell book.
Each spell has it's own spell scroll and seal key.

3. If I find / buy some necro / elemental scrolls and keys for some spells, but I won't read elemental / necro books, can I use these spells? What is difference between using these spells in case
- I read necro / elemental books (and get necro / elemental Magis School skill points)
AND
- in case I DON'T read necro / elemental books (and DON'T get necro / elemental Magis School skill points)?
If you do not read elemental or necro book you will not be able to use the elemental or necro spells. Each spell has a skill requirement range for example 10-20 if you only have 10 skill you will fumble almost every time. If you have 20 you will not fumble at all.

4. If I have some necro seal keys, there are illegal items, what does it mean? Can I visit guarded towns / cities like Tindrem with these keys in my inventory? Can I put these keys in a bank in any guarded town / city? How can I buy or sell illegal items like seal keys?
The items are illegal which means guards may stop you and question you. If you do not bribe, persuade or threaten them then they will attack you. There is always a chance at it failing so they may still attack you. You can put them in a bank in a guarded town just remember you are risking it each time you are near guards with them.

5. There are a lot of chests in cities and jungles, dungeons etc. I read they can have scrolls inside, but they are closed. Do I have to use just lock picking to get it? Or there are other ways to open these chests?:) Where can I get keys for example?
Lockpicking and keys. Keys drop randomly all over the world. Some NPCs drop them. Some events drop them.

Thread starter #4
1 quick question. I read scrolls for necro are in Sheevra cave. Is this the same cave as for elementalism under the water? Or another cave?