Pantheon of Myrland

How easy it would be to look at this Pantheon and ignore reality. To be tolerant of myth, and demonic influence. To live in peace while observing a petty and false faith, worshiping idols, and following corrupt politicians. I used to be like that. Chasing wealth and security above all else, at ease with other's "faith".

Then I came to know.

I came to know that all the faiths of Nave heretofore are complete lies! Look at the state of this once great land. Lazy, scared, pathetic wretches huddling in ever larger masses. Chasing security and wealth all for the "lols". Afraid to risk, they gladly offer their last remaining modicum of humanity for "safety". You can not purchase safety from the vile, the corrupt, the demonic.

The pendulum has swung too far. Hell now rejects the souls of Nave's fallen. A new day is upon us. The ancient, endless, and jealous Gods of Nave refuse to be ignored. This "Pantheon" will crumble. Nave will be cleansed.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Because my signature is filling up with gods of Myrland and their lore, I have to put the list here. I encourage the followers of these gods to erect shrines and temples and share pictures and video.

Umbra: [God of Anquer Quare], God of power, conquest, murder, and domination - Gaul Kor
Soldeus: god of light and virtue - Sunken Isles, Brood Isles, Bakti region, Meduli
Paladine: [God of the Quadra Khans], Dragon- god of war, vengeance, and chivalry - Talus Mountains
Somaku: [God of Arcturian] great spirit of the steppes - Steppes
Avernus: [God of the Guttersnipes], God of thieves and brigands - Fabernum
Seth: God of Escuadron de las Sombras - Meduli, Centari, Landfall
Mirthrak: [God of Mors Omnibus], Hero of both Risar and Thursar, God of the scorned and enslaved, God of the freedom fighter, God of blood sacrifices and power - Talus Mountains

•   Since these aren't given in alphabetical order, I generally question what order if any it is in which you have given them, and specifically request that you disclaim any kind of precedence which this apparent ordering above might otherwise suggest.
  •   Either the name of each Deity should be followed by the [Name in Brackets] of the guild or guilds sworn to It's service, or none of these names should be. [del]In particular, the omission of the epithet [God of Wessex] from the description of Soldeus seems egregious, and[/del] [ins](A)s[/ins] a member of an organisation (though it is not a guild in Mortal Online) that also aligns with Soldeus, it is my duty to see that the Radiant One is given his due by secular entities such as yourself.
    • [ins]  In light of the fact that Wessex, himself (ref. to the Duke of Wessex) revealed himself as a heretic and was excommunicated from the Church of Soldeus for his denial of the Blessed Lucius shortly before his summary dismissal (as always, in absentia) of the Duchy of Wessex and the disappearance of his remaining vassals and thralls from Nave to benighted realms beyond these-- maybe you were prescient *not* to have described the Radiant Lord Soldeus as the 'God of Wessex'. I retract my objection to the original style in which the faith was listed.[/ins]
  •   You have not at all mentioned one of the most actively engaged gods of Myrland, one who is propitiated regularly with offerings in a way very visible to those who take the time to look, and that's of course the Master of the Crossroads AKA the God of Bridges, Keeper of the Way.

  He or She has many Names: among the Sarducaans, a she-wolf named Wepwawet; the Sidoians call Him Legba; the Kallards know Him as Heimdallr. You may continue to ignore Him, but I wouldn't want to be you the next time you're in the middle of a long bridge with a heavy load on you.

Thread starter #24
  • Since these aren't given in alphabetical order, I generally question what order if any it is in which you have given them, and specifically request that you disclaim any kind of precedence which this apparent ordering above might otherwise suggest.
  • Either the name of each Deity should be followed by the [Name in Brackets] of the guild or guilds sworn to It's service, or none of these names should be. In particular, the omission of the epithet [God of Wessex] from the description of Soldeus seems egregious, and as a member of an organisation (though it is not a guild in Mortal Online) that also aligns with Soldeus, it is my duty to see that the Radiant One is given his due by secular entities such as yourself.
  • You have not at all mentioned one of the most actively engaged gods of Myrland, one who is propitiated regularly with offerings in a way very visible to those who take the time to look, and that's of course the Master of the Crossroads AKA the God of Bridges, Keeper of the Way. He or She has many Names: among the Sarducaans, a she-wolf named Wepwawet; the Sidoians call Him Legba; the Kallards know Him as Heimdallr. You may continue to ignore Him, but I wouldn't want to be you the next time you're in the middle of a long bridge with a heavy load on you.
  • The list isn't in any order in particular. It is organized (I believe) in the order I found the gods while searching on the RP forums
  • I am not sure how I forgot to mention Wessex, I'll add that in
  • Is there any written lore on this god?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
  • The list isn't in any order in particular. It is organized (I believe) in the order I found the gods while searching on the RP forums
  • I am not sure how I forgot to mention Wessex, I'll add that in
  • Is there any written lore on this god?
  • Ah, good.
  • Thank you.
  • Yes:
    That's my doing, as also detailed on the Kingdom of Wessex forums, from which I shall quote:

My maidservant, Seana Adisdottir, explained to me that one of the good lesser gods of her original home in the hinterlands is "Master of the Crossroads", and responsible for guarding both the Way and the Traveler. He is very fond of offerings, even the most humble ones, being left at transition points such as bridges.

It is customary to leave Him one of every thing one has hunted or gathered either before or immediately after crossing. He is also fond of strong sweet drinks, candy, pungent leaves, food that would otherwise be wasted (which He is glad to share with the hungry, who may always take from His stores), and of the heads of men, she says. Immediately upon hearing this, I thought of my collection of Thief's Head Sushi and knew what I had to do.

Of course, the heads of evil men are by right the only ones with which I wish to see a bridge festooned, but of such there is no shortage which would suggest otherwise. I think that for the discerning or guilty traveler to see the heads of unwisdom displayed thus could be instructive both morally and practically: it says, "Be Good or KEEP OUT".

Necromantic

A god that is "of guild" is already a failure of a god, because a good god is one who transcends all human mad boundaries, they live in concepts, thoughts and dreams unrestricted by belonging, they are an idea, an idea that, no matter the people, will lend power.

And I think mine is still the oldest (at least still surviving from the MO community), which was actually once on really old forums but got lost in time.
It will not be mentioned here, for it is here, no matter if you know it's name or not, for names are nothing but shallow things that help remind you of your dead.

And why Myrland?

Thread starter #28
A god that is "of guild" is already a failure of a god, because a good god is one who transcends all human mad boundaries, they live in concepts, thoughts and dreams unrestricted by belonging, they are an idea, an idea that, no matter the people, will lend power.

And I think mine is still the oldest (at least still surviving from the MO community), which was actually once on really old forums but got lost in time.

And why Myrland?

I am not here to judge the status of a deity. Since there are no nation-states in MO, all gods are tribal at the moment.

If you have a back up of the lore of your god, I'll add it. I'll also need some sort of evidence that that god's lore is bound to one or more guilds. Thanks.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Please provide a link so that I can add it to the list. Thanks. Also, are there any other gods that I have missed?
Last thing first: As Necromantic implies, you missed the Mosh.

And firstly, my quote of my OP on the subject already supplies the link you requested at the ↑ -- as the forum's quote function usually does -- but here it is in plain text.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/goto/post?id=1327100#post-1327100
I am not here to judge the status of a deity. Since there are no nation-states in MO, all gods are tribal at the moment.

If you have a back up of the lore of your god, I'll add it. I'll also need some sort of evidence that that god's lore is bound to one or more guilds. Thanks.
I don't understand this statement. Must a religion or a god be bound to one or more guilds, or do you only require evidence of the bond in order to claim that the bond exists?

I know that the couple of my avatars who regularly feed the bridges and RP the belief in the Maitre Carrefour are not the only ones sticking heads and other trophies or "offerings" in bridges, because I came back to the game after an ~eight-month absence, and the bridges were still partly filled with such things-- but it's not like just one individual or group does that, and not like any two of them will ever necessarily get together to do it or have words over it or rites or rituals or identify themselves as doing it or even write down what they believe about what they do. They just, apparently, do it.

I would also guess that no guild currently in existence is going to adopt the Deity and formally espouse the belief. If they did, it wouldn't encourage nor discourage anyone else. If the Gods as a whole are no more than tribal, this is sub-tribal, yet very much in evidence.

And the God of Bridges and Other Crossings is, so far, the only one that's got a game mechanic that works in His favour-- bridges now need maintenance, and St. Sebastian must not object or he wouldn't have coded it that way. =P

Thread starter #30

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I have edited my contributions to this thread (above) in view of the fact that both Lucius Hanno and Necromantic were right about a few things where I was mistaken. Also, as I said:
I would also guess...

"...that no guild currently in existence is going to adopt the Deity and formally espouse the belief. If they did, it wouldn't encourage nor discourage anyone else. If the Gods as a whole are no more than tribal, this is sub-tribal, yet very much in evidence."
"And the God of Bridges and Other Crossings is, so far, the only one that's got a game mechanic that works in His favour-- bridges now need maintenance, and St. Sebastian must not object or he wouldn't have coded it that way. =P "
-- but my guess was short-sighted, as
  • RPK! did adopt (in their own ghastly way which should not be imitated) the practice of feeding the bridges with heads, and
  • bridges do not any longer (as once before) seem to need any maintenance (and we wish that Seb would bring that back, if possible).
Finally, this thread is valuable and the new players from Steam who wonder about the culture of Nave should find it a good read.