[Poll] Magic revamp

Should SV completely redo magic so it is more action based or keep it as is and just add new schools

• Redo it

Votes: 98 60.1%
  • Keep it as is and add new schools

Votes: 55 33.7%
  • Other

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

Artorius

Cronite Supporter
This is how magic work currently;

You need reagents in your inventory to cast spells, to cast a spell you first preload it while you don't move, acquire target and release it, once released, it tracks target like a guided missile.Wearing more than 4 weight armors lowers your mana regen.

To me, that feel clunky and somewhat annoying with all the spell fizzle because of out of range or you moved or you got hit, etc.

Should SV just add new magic schools such as necromancy and what not or add new schools and completely redo how magic works in Mortal?

SV promised to revamp magic many years ago and it seems to be relatively closer than ever before, perhaps they even began working on it already as the current roadmap is fixing bugs, steam release and magic so why not give them some feedback and ideas on it!

SHARE YOUR IDEAS!

Thread starter #2

Artorius

Cronite Supporter
Well, first of all, as it is and as it always been in Mortal, melee fighters be it on a mount or on foot always played a primary role in all battles. I never saw full groups of mages/hybrids/archers in battles, the fighters always are the tip of the spear with other "classes" supporting them. I don't see anything especially wrong with that, I think it make sense that melee combat is the easiest combat art to learn and the most prominent on the battlefield.

However, I feel magic has a lot of potential in a MMORPG like Mortal and if they are to redo it, I would like it if they would make it more fun and balanced 1v1, basically make it so you can hold your own as a mage alone in pvp or pve.

As it is, even fighting a bandit is a challenge alone as a mage while it is easy cake as a warrior.

Now the biggest challenge of such design changes would be to avoid turning the game into magic online and everyone rolling mages because it's so OP.

Below you will find suggestions on how to make it more fun and hopefully not too OP.

If you look at this old trailer;

At about 03:40 you can see a mage with a sword that cast some type of instant push back spell that throws away several ennemies around him. Isn't that amazing? That is the type of magic combat I want to see in Mortal.

Or how about this;

This one might be more controversial as it is from another game and I can already hear the "go play skyrim!" but what if I prefer Mortal's persistent world?

Anyway, the point of the second video is to show what I call instant casting on the move as images may be better than words sometimes. You can see the player casting immediate spells as he moves but if he wants to he can hold it with his 2 hands to cast a slightly more powerful version of it which seems pretty balanced, you cast fast and weak spells or slow and powerful ones. Also, you can see that each spells can serve different purposes, ice spells can slow down target, lightning or fire can cause more damage to targets vulnerable to cold or heat and so on.

Make the magic more organic, by organic I mean useful in our environment and giving it multiple purposes. Let mages enchant a weapon so it light up the environment like a torch for 5, 10, 15 minutes. Let mages shoot a ice bolt on the ground to create a slippery trap that make players and humanoids mobs alike fall when they walk on it, the same ice bolt shot at a player or mob will slightly slow him down for a couple seconds + inflicting light damage. Give fireballs a small% of chance to ignite target on fire causing DOT (damage over time) like say 25 damage from the fireball and then 30 more over 30 seconds if the targets gets on fire. Let fireballs cause damage to wooden structure (siege weapons, wooden palisade and whatnot) just like fire arrows. You could cast an ice bolt on yourself, inflicting yourself some damage and slowing you down but it also freeze you and will reduce heat damage from fireballs if an ennemy mage shoots fireballs at you, etc. etc.

So basically, I will try to stop the wall of text and make this more clear;
  • Truly aimed magic
  • True projectile (for magic and arrows) so we can see it and try to dodge
  • Casting on the move
  • Instant cast for most spells with hold option to charge it like a swing and make it slightly more powerful and mana consuming
  • Many, MANY more spells and magic schools.
  • Keep the reagents system, make them more expansive except for some basic spells.
  • Allow mages to have weapons equipped to cast some type of spells such as pushback (as seen on video) or spells channelled through the weapon such as staff magic but perhaps casting with a weapon equipped would be slower and weaker and more mana consuming so it creates a new playstyle (improved hybrids basically).
  • Balance movement speed for all races, if mages can defend themselves 1on1 vs fighters, they cannot run faster or it will be a nightmare.
  • Keep the low weight restriction for mana regen for armors
  • Add magic defenses for melee fighters such as magic resistent armors (some armor materials, perhaps materials under used right now such as boiled leather could have magic resistent properties, like, boiled leather could reduce damage from electricity based magic, scales could reduce damage from fire based magic, etc.) Let them block some type of magic projectiles such as fireballs with a shield, let them dodge some of them, etc.
  • Since mages are bound to have weak physical protection, let them have some magic protection for melee such as magic shield (creates a magic shield that drain 1 mana per second as long as you hold it up but absorb 50-90% damage depending on your skill level, now, this type of shield make more sense to not block 100% damage as it is energy, physical real wooden or metal shields should block 100% damage till it breaks in my opinion). Pushback spells when ennemy gets too close so you can get away but put a 2-3 minutes cooldown on it so it cannot be spammed. Short distance instant teleport so YOU get away if ennemy close in, no cooldown but heavy on mana, basically, cast it on a nearby location you can point at with your mouse and boom you are teleported.
  • Get rid of healing potions, make bandages thick over time instead of working as a delayed potion, applying bandage requires to stand still, healing cancelled if you receive damage while being healed by a bandage, with these new restriction bandages will heal more though like 60-70 instead of 30-40. Get rid of instant heals from magic, instead, replace it with a heal over time spell that requires the mage to stand near his target, both not moving during the healing that last like 15-30 seconds and heal like 5 hp per seconds and drains mana as it heals so you can heal 1-2 person at 100% within a minute but you must not be moving and it drains like all your mana. The point of this is to get rid of combat healing. Combat healing forgives errors and make combat last longer for no reason to the point sometimes you are just like, fuck it, I leave.
  • Give melee fighters a quick charge action skill that send you charging forward super fast to try and intercept/interrupt a target. 2 minutes cooldown and heavy on stamina.
  • Let melee fighters throw their weapon to try and finish a fleeing target but then they have no more weapons and they have to pick it up off the target corpse or on the ground if it miss.
  • Some powerful spell books should be difficult to get in the world just like armors so you can have the basic spells from any library but powerful ones are difficult to come by.
  • Introduce melee attacks for fighters to possibly stop mages from casting anything for a couple seconds like maybe overhead strike so if you jump a mage by surprise, you can open the fight with a overhead strike, it gives more tactical options.
Some new schools and spell ideas, names mostly speak for themselves I think;

Actual magic school (can't spell it, ecumenical? lol)
  • Ice bolt - low damage but slows down target a little bit
  • Chain lightning - transfer to 2-3 nearby targets
  • Light enchantment - make a weapon or piece of armor light up the environment like a torch
  • Firewall - with your crosshair, draw a line of 10-30 feets on the ground and set it on fire to create a massive firewall that last 10-30 minutes, any player or pet going through will be set on fire and receive 75 damage over 30 seconds.
  • Inferno - Throw fire out of your mouth (badass animation) or your hands 5-10 feets infront of you inflicting 5 damage per seconds to anything infront of you as long as you hold it but also drains 5 mana per seconds. Small % of chance to set target on fire inflicting 30 more damage over 30 seconds.
  • Flash - Instantly blinds all players in front of you for 2-3 seconds. 5 minute cooldown.
  • Frostbite - Freeze your target in a block of ice for 5-10 seconds, if target receive damage while frozen, it only breaks him free and doesn't actually damage him. 5 minutes cooldown.
  • Icewall - Create a solid wall of ice of 2 meter high and up to 20 meter long. It will last 5 minutes before melting down but ennemies can break through with normal weapons in 5-10 hits.
Necromancy school
  • Living dead - Raise a skeleton or undead from the ground to fight for you as a pet for a couple minutes.
  • Demons - Spawn a powerful demon into this world through a portal (requires stuff from demons). It will attack any nearby mob/player with AOE spells except guildmates and you but it cannot be controlled otherwise.
  • Lifeleach - Heal yourself by stealing HP of other living creatures (your pets, other players, etc.)
  • Corrupt ghost (players) - Plan A it stop them from resurecting for a minute or two or plan B it puts sometype of curse on them when they do resurect such as a small DOT or something which can be purified by an ecu mage.
  • Disease - Infect other players/mobs with a contagious disease that deal 1-3 damage every 10-20 seconds for an hour in-game (if you logout the countdown stop), it will infect anyother player/mob that trade items with him. It also randomly makes infected players puke and drain HP, stamina and mana reserves! So you need to constantly bandage yourself, get healed and sleep while infected and avoid other peoples. This can be cured by a special new potion that alchemist need to find how to make. The potion recipe will change every now and then to simulate the disease mutating so that people cannot just stockpile those potions and make the disease spell useless. If you die of this, you will blow up and heavily damage all nearby players/mobs.
  • Summon Hell - Together with 2 other necromancer, stand still while creating a portal that will spawn lesser demons into this world and they will attack everything they see except you, your guild and your necromancer friends that summoned them. They will spread out in random direction, jumping and screaming all over the place terrifying the whole area for 5 minutes and then they will vanish and return in hell if they havn't been killed already, they move fast, attack fast, they are small, low hp (30-40) and hit weak (5-10) but their strategy is to overwhelm their ennemy, upon death, they blow up causing 20 damage in the immediate radius. This ritual will spawn 20-30 of these within 2 minutes.
Psychic school
  • Force pushback - skill level affect how many nearby target will be pushed back and knocked down.
  • Energy shield - if casted on yourself it create a magic shield that absorb frontal damage but if you cast it on another player or mob, it engulf it and the target will receive less damage from any attack for the next 30 seconds or so.
  • Teleport - close range, don't ever allow long range instant transport
  • Telepathy - take control of some type of mobs, leaves your character vulnerable but you can play as a mob and spy, scout or fight for a couple minutes
  • Telekinesis - let you move some type of objects and perhaps even players or small mobs, not sure if possibile in MO but it would be cool, like throwing an urn at your ennemy, opening a door from a distance, etc.
  • Levitation - You float 1-2 feet above the ground as long as you have mana, it drains 5 mana per seconds. It also slows down your fall if you jump off a cliff for example or helps you cross a river or small obstacles.
  • Confusion - Changes the name of the targeted player to a random name and turns his flag grey to all members of his guild for 30 seconds, 10 minutes cooldown.
  • Enhance - Increase your target attributes by 5 for 30 minutes, 30 minutes cooldown.
  • Diminish - Reduce your target attributes by 5 for 1 minute, 10 minute cooldown.
Shapeshifting school
  • You get to actually transform into a creature of Nave with the same animation and all so you can scout, spy and fight. This could have many skill for many different creatures and the skill level affect how powerful you are when transformed and how long you can be. Yes, you could transform in a shark to swim fast, a horse to give your buddy a ride, a brown bear to tank for your group, etc.
Elemental school
  • Thunder storms - This spells takes 3 minutes to cast, when you start, it creates 2 signs on the ground around you, 2 other mages with same spell need to get in position and cast it on you, after 3 minutes, the first mage gets to choose an area nearby, the size of a small town like Mohki and it creates an actual thunder storms in the area with like a hundred lightning striking mobs and players in the area for 5 minutes inflicting heavy damage. After casting or if it is interrupted, 72h cooldown, no more mana nor stamina. This requires expansive reagents and the book is difficult to get.
  • Meteor shower - Same concept as thunder storms but it requires 3 other mages, reagents and books are even more expansive/difficult to get and instead of a thunder storm it creates a meteor shower instantly killing peoples and mobs (as it inflict 1000 damage) and also damage buildings over a 10 minute period.
  • Tornado - Same concept but it can be casted by you alone, it creates a powerful tornado that goes on a random path in an area near you for a minute or two throwing away anything on it's way.
  • Earthquake - Same concept again but requires 4 other mages, this is the most devastating spell of the school, it provoke a massive earthquake in the targeted area for 20 minutes heavily damaging any structure in the area (basically inflict 10 000 damage per minute to any structure in the area) but it only deal minor damage to players and mobs (20-50).
  • Volcano - Same concept as others, requires 3 other mages, creates a small volcano coming out of the ground to shoot fireballs all over the area inflicting 50-100 damage to players, mobs and buildings with a small % of chance to set them on fire which inflict damage over time. Plus possibly lava rivers impossible to get across that will last for an hour or two.
  • Fog - You can cast this one yourself, it simply creates a heavy fog in the area for 5-10 minutes, limiting visibility.
  • Night - You can cast this one yourself, it turn the area into night time for 5-10 minutes.
  • Day - Same as night but day time.
I don't know about you guys but I can easily imagine group of mages with such school working in synergy to support eachother which would be pretty amazing. Now of course, that bring us to the balance issue with melee fighters but still...

Again, it is very important that ANY improvement to magic does not make it OP against melee fighters! Extensive testing is required, basically, out of 100 duels mage vs fighter, it should be 50/50 in an ideal world.

Kha-Ri

Honored Member
Does the magic resistant materials tie in with magic redo?

Golt

Trial Member
Well i would love projectile based magic. Its the only thing that darkfall does better than MO in my opinion. Being able to dodge spells and mages having to aim properly would be great for the game. I think everyone can agree with that.
BUT i dont expect SV to pull that off. I imagine it would be really really hard to get it right with no desync issues etc. I think Henrik said some time ago that there would be AoE spells so that would be something alittle bit in that direction but i doubt we will get proper projectile based spells sadly.

I want magic staffs and wands that are as hard to make as the alchemy system made potions. They will cost a lot and give good benefits. This will mean that mages have stuff to lose, if you want to be more powerful, and create something fun for crafters to invent.

Thread starter #8

Artorius

Cronite Supporter
Well i would love projectile based magic. Its the only thing that darkfall does better than MO in my opinion. Being able to dodge spells and mages having to aim properly would be great for the game. I think everyone can agree with that.
BUT i dont expect SV to pull that off. I imagine it would be really really hard to get it right with no desync issues etc. I think Henrik said some time ago that there would be AoE spells so that would be something alittle bit in that direction but i doubt we will get proper projectile based spells sadly.
yeah ping is a real issue indeed. Only solutions is to have multiple servers so we play on the nearest server sadly.

would prefer magic weapons like staffs and wands over reagents.
Or both for different spells?

Dsn

Honored Member
yeah ping is a real issue indeed. Only solutions is to have multiple servers so we play on the nearest server sadly.

Or both for different spells?
already made 2 old threads on this...

but its actualy goes something like.
1h wand or 2h staff
wand does less ,staff does more.
where wands specialize is types of magic depending on what they are made of, but staffs can be more general use and if made from more expencive mats would make for better effects on some spells but oc less effects on some others.

wands cant be used as a weapon and cant block but staffs can be used as a weaker club and used to block, both losing durability with magic use and getting distroyed fast if used as normal weapons...

alternativly wands being able to only have 1 spell(as with everything determent by material used) but instant cast and so on...

so yea spells str and type would be determent by core for wand and for staff it would be the catalyst/orb and the speed you cast and degradation(and durability) by the crust for wand and the well.. staff part of the staff would do the same for staffs(if you knew what i mean )

wand craft:
wand outside (wood only): spell cast speed, durability
wand core (wood,gems,rare nonmetals): spell type, spell str

special alternative focused wand that cant be made from cheep mats, and has instant cast but the more you cast in shorter time frame the wand start takes stackingly more dmg(4 casts without waiting for cooldown, cast 1:1dura dmg cast 2:5 dura dmg cast cast 3: 25 dura dmg cast 4: fail as most wands would break from the strain)

staff craft
staff part (wood or metal):spell speed, durability, magic drain(lower magic drain for wood but lower durability, higher magic drain for metals but higher durability, magic drain goes lower then that of wood mats if they are more magic conductive like gold silver and so on)
staff focus(top part of staff, only for metal staffs as wood one would have it as part of the above): mana drain reduction.
optional catalyst/orb that is added after crafting(making staff focused on spell tree but cant be properl used for others after adding the orb/catalyst)

exsample:
wand with spongewood core spongewood crust: fast cast speed, low durability, general low lvl spell use, low str.

wand with amber core and tapii crust, medium speed, high dura(for a wand that is), high lvl fire spells(cant be used for other spells without massive mana drain or failing), med str.

spongewood staff(only spongewood): med cast speed, med durability, general low lvl spell use, low str.
spongewood staff(with added fire focused orb): med cast speed, med durability,fire use with low lvl general spell use, med str fire spells and low str others.
normal mana drain for all the above.

steel staff(only steel with steel focus): slow cast speed, high durability, general low lvl spell use, low str, high mana drain

steel staff( steel with gold focus): slow cast speed, high durability, general low-med lvl spell use, low str, med mana drain

steel staff( steel with gold focus and fire catalyst): slow cast speed, high durability, high fire and high fire dmg spells allowed and general low-med lvl spell use, high fire str and low str others, med mana drain, low-med mana drain for fire spells.

gold staff(only gold with gold focus and fire catalyst): fast cast speed, med durability, high fire and high fire dmg spells allowed and general high lvl spell use, super high fire str and med str others, low mana drain, low to no mana drain for fire spells.(no good cos super heavy by the way)

may have misswrote some parts its possible its a lot to think about at same time

On mobile so I'll elaborate when I get on a PC but

I don't think magic should JUST be projectile based, there should be a very large amount of spells, some targeted ( with obvious drawbacks ), some just projectile, some AOE on the caster, etc etc

It's magic I it pushes the rules and boundaries of the world, it shouldn't all be similar, warriors should be able to cast basic magic ( a light, light a campfire )

Well, first of all, as it is and as it always been in Mortal, melee fighters be it on a mount or on foot always played a primary role in all battles. I never saw full groups of mages/hybrids/archers in battles, the fighters always are the tip of the spear with other "classes" supporting them. I don't see anything especially wrong with that, I think it make sense that melee combat is the easiest combat art to learn and the most prominent on the battlefield.

However, I feel magic has a lot of potential in a MMORPG like Mortal and if they are to redo it, I would like it if they would make it more fun and balanced 1v1, basically make it so you can hold your own as a mage alone in pvp or pve.

As it is, even fighting a bandit is a challenge alone as a mage while it is easy cake as a warrior.

Now the biggest challenge of such design changes would be to avoid turning the game into magic online and everyone rolling mages because it's so OP.

Below you will find suggestions on how to make it more fun and hopefully not too OP.

If you look at this old trailer;

At about 03:40 you can see a mage with a sword that cast some type of instant push back spell that throws away several ennemies around him. Isn't that amazing? That is the type of magic combat I want to see in Mortal.

Or how about this;

This one might be more controversial as it is from another game and I can already hear the "go play skyrim!" but what if I prefer Mortal's persistent world?

Anyway, the point of the second video is to show what I call instant casting on the move as images may be better than words sometimes. You can see the player casting immediate spells as he moves but if he wants to he can hold it with his 2 hands to cast a slightly more powerful version of it which seems pretty balanced, you cast fast and weak spells or slow and powerful ones. Also, you can see that each spells can serve different purposes, ice spells can slow down target, lightning or fire can cause more damage to targets vulnerable to cold or heat and so on.

Make the magic more organic, by organic I mean useful in our environment and giving it multiple purposes. Let mages enchant a weapon so it light up the environment like a torch for 5, 10, 15 minutes. Let mages shoot a ice bolt on the ground to create a slippery trap that make players and humanoids mobs alike fall when they walk on it, the same ice bolt shot at a player or mob will slightly slow him down for a couple seconds + inflicting light damage. Give fireballs a small% of chance to ignite target on fire causing DOT (damage over time) like say 25 damage from the fireball and then 30 more over 30 seconds if the targets gets on fire. Let fireballs cause damage to wooden structure (siege weapons, wooden palisade and whatnot) just like fire arrows. You could cast an ice bolt on yourself, inflicting yourself some damage and slowing you down but it also freeze you and will reduce heat damage from fireballs if an ennemy mage shoots fireballs at you, etc. etc.

So basically, I will try to stop the wall of text and make this more clear;
  • Truly aimed magic
  • True projectile (for magic and arrows) so we can see it and try to dodge
  • Casting on the move
  • Instant cast for most spells with hold option to charge it like a swing and make it slightly more powerful and mana consuming
  • Many, MANY more spells and magic schools.
  • Keep the reagents system, make them more expansive except for some basic spells.
  • Allow mages to have weapons equipped to cast some type of spells such as pushback (as seen on video) or spells channelled through the weapon such as staff magic but perhaps casting with a weapon equipped would be slower and weaker and more mana consuming so it creates a new playstyle (improved hybrids basically).
  • Balance movement speed for all races, if mages can defend themselves 1on1 vs fighters, they cannot run faster or it will be a nightmare.
  • Keep the low weight restriction for mana regen for armors
  • Add magic defenses for melee fighters such as magic resistent armors (some armor materials, perhaps materials under used right now such as boiled leather could have magic resistent properties, like, boiled leather could reduce damage from electricity based magic, scales could reduce damage from fire based magic, etc.) Let them block some type of magic projectiles such as fireballs with a shield, let them dodge some of them, etc.
  • Since mages are bound to have weak physical protection, let them have some magic protection for melee such as magic shield (creates a magic shield that drain 1 mana per second as long as you hold it up but absorb 50-90% damage depending on your skill level, now, this type of shield make more sense to not block 100% damage as it is energy, physical real wooden or metal shields should block 100% damage till it breaks in my opinion). Pushback spells when ennemy gets too close so you can get away but put a 2-3 minutes cooldown on it so it cannot be spammed. Short distance instant teleport so YOU get away if ennemy close in, no cooldown but heavy on mana, basically, cast it on a nearby location you can point at with your mouse and boom you are teleported.
  • Get rid of healing potions, make bandages thick over time instead of working as a delayed potion, applying bandage requires to stand still, healing cancelled if you receive damage while being healed by a bandage, with these new restriction bandages will heal more though like 60-70 instead of 30-40. Get rid of instant heals from magic, instead, replace it with a heal over time spell that requires the mage to stand near his target, both not moving during the healing that last like 15-30 seconds and heal like 5 hp per seconds and drains mana as it heals so you can heal 1-2 person at 100% within a minute but you must not be moving and it drains like all your mana. The point of this is to get rid of combat healing. Combat healing forgives errors and make combat last longer for no reason to the point sometimes you are just like, fuck it, I leave.
  • Give melee fighters a quick charge action skill that send you charging forward super fast to try and intercept/interrupt a target. 2 minutes cooldown and heavy on stamina.
  • Let melee fighters throw their weapon to try and finish a fleeing target but then they have no more weapons and they have to pick it up off the target corpse or on the ground if it miss.
  • Some powerful spell books should be difficult to get in the world just like armors so you can have the basic spells from any library but powerful ones are difficult to come by.
Some new schools and spell ideas, names mostly speak for themselves I think;

Actual magic school (can't spell it, ecumenical? lol)
  • Ice bolt (low damage but slows down target a little bit)
  • Chain lightning (transfer to nearby targets)
  • Light enchantment
Necromancy school

• Living dead (raise a skeleton or undead from the ground to fight for you as a pet for a couple minutes)
Psychic school
  • Force pushback skill level affect how many nearby target will be pushed back and knocked down.
  • Energy shield, if casted on yourself it create a magic shield that absorb frontal damage but if you cast it on another player or mob, it engulf it and the target will receive less damage from any attack for the next 30 seconds or so.
  • Teleport (close range, don't ever allow long range instant transport)
  • Telepathy (take control of some type of mobs, leaves your character vulnerable but you can play as a mob and spy, scout or fight for a couple minutes)
  • Telekinesis (let you move some type of objects, not sure if possibile in MO but it would be cool, like throwing an urn at your ennemy, opening a door from a distance, etc.)
Shapeshifting school
  • You get to actually transform into a creature of Nave with the same animation and all so you can scout, spy and fight. This could have many skill for many different creatures and the skill level affect how powerful you are when transformed and how long you can be. Yes, you could transform in a shark to swim fast, a horse to give your buddy a ride, etc.
Elemental school
  • Thunder storms - This spells takes 3 minutes to cast, when you start, it creates 2 signs on the ground around you, 2 other mages with same spell need to get in position and cast it on you, after 3 minutes, the first mage gets to choose an area nearby, the size of a small town like Mohki and it creates an actual thunder storms in the area with like a hundred lightning striking mobs and players in the area for 5 minutes inflicting heavy damage. After casting or if it is interrupted, 72h cooldown, no more mana nor stamina. This requires expansive reagents and the book is difficult to get.
  • Meteor shower - Same concept as thunder storms but it requires 3 other mages, reagents and books are even more expansive/difficult to get and instead of a thunder storm it creates a meteor shower instantly killing peoples and mobs (as it inflict 1000 damage) and also damage buildings over a 10 minute period.
I don't know about you guys but I can easily imagine group of mages with such school working in synergy to support eachother which would be pretty amazing. Now of course, that bring us to the balance issue with melee fighters but still...

Again, it is very important that ANY improvement to magic does not make it OP against melee fighters! Extensive testing is required, basically, out of 100 duels mage vs fighter, it should be 50/50 in an ideal world.
SV should pay for this ideas. I agree on pretty much all!

Too late I gave it all, I left some room for details though :p
But wouldn't this break the balance which is already broken somehow?
I'd rather play mage than anything else if they import so many things.
What about a new game: Mage Online by SV

Cykas

Trial Member
If magic worked like in Darkfall expect to see only hybrids, fatmages, and ma.

Thread starter #16

Artorius

Cronite Supporter
If magic worked like in Darkfall expect to see only hybrids, fatmages, and ma.
To me, improving magic requires reworking some melee stuff too to keep it somewhat balanced as I said previously with stuff like magic resistent armors, enchanted weapons/armors, quick charge skill to intercept and interrupt mages, looking into speed difference between mages and fighters, etc.

To me, improving magic requires reworking some melee stuff too to keep it somewhat balanced as I said previously with stuff like magic resistent armors, enchanted weapons/armors, quick charge skill to intercept and interrupt mages, looking into speed difference between mages and fighters, etc.
I'd rather not xD
Add some new speels. Maybe some skills which need you to aim, but not more.
Change some spells so they fit better. Who the fuck uses Fulmination?(why?)

Dhan

Honored Member
Step 1: Add new schools
Step 2: Make the spells projectiles
Step 3: Adjust damage, mana cost and possibly cast time to balance the projectiles
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

Cruzxavier

Healing spells could be an AoE spell just like the healing balls worked in Hawken for example. Everyone would benefit from it once it was cast, and when the fixed amount of healing was depleated it would dissapear. Enemys would be healed as well if the pushed the mage group and stand on top of the orb

Step 1: Add new schools
Step 2: Make the spells projectiles
Step 3: Adjust damage, mana cost and possibly cast time to balance the projectiles
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit
Nah. I like my homing missiles that do 45 dmg.

Status
Not open for further replies.