Remove Can Hit Blue Toggle in Preferences

Thread starter #1
@Herius @Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nystrom

I feel that with the upcoming newbie island, the Can Hit Blue toggle would become redundant and obsolete. New players would start with the unlimited fledgling flag which protects them from all manner of theft and murder by other players, including blue-blocking if I’m not mistaken.

It would mean that by the time these new players shed their fledgling flag or move to the mainland, they should be experienced and hardened weapon users who can strike only when they know that there is a clear line of sight to do so.

I’m not any good at pvp, but even I have the Can Hit Blue toggle enabled (no blue-blocking protection) at all times no matter what the situation because I know when to swing my weapon and when not to. Such that if I were to hit a blue, the fault would be entirely my own.

I think it’s time to put the responsibility back in the player’s hands. I’m suggesting that it’s time to remove the Can Hit Blue toggle entirely when the newbie island is released. Let’s not coddle the new players anymore than is necessary.

Last edited:
What about blue blockers interfering with duels in guarded towns?
Welcome to MO, and you can't duel with that option on anyways.

In what manner is this mechanic being used today that people don't like?
Probably just overall less things to do, loss of wardec, loss of blue block.

Let's be real. Vets are going to flood starter island and ruin the experience for all (if any) new players just like they did with steam release. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if a large majority of people played ONLY the noob island. The griefing mindset will always find a way.

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
The affected players should know what to do with those who interfere with duels. They have ways. An oversized bear always comes in handy, as an example.
So then can you confirm that this is just a request to bring back blue blocking, or is there some other side effect of the "Can Hit Blue" toggle that we're not talking about?

So you think people just miss the joy of blue blocking then? That's why we have this recommendation?
That's certainly an oversimplified way of stating it. More accurately would be, the risks involved in swinging your weapon, the skill based requirement of aiming your swings, and overall less themeparky feel. Also I wouldn't try to extrapolate my reasons for stuff on to others as its probably not accurate of them.

Good example however would be tindrem gate fighting, kind of brainless ez mode to just have your blue block option on and never worry about going criminal amidst the horde.

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
That's certainly an oversimplified way of stating it. More accurately would be, the risks involved in swinging your weapon, the skill based requirement of aiming your swings, and overall less themeparky feel. Also I wouldn't try to extrapolate my reasons for stuff on to others as its probably not accurate of them.

Good example however would be tindrem gate fighting, kind of brainless ez mode to just have your blue block option on and never worry about going criminal amidst the horde.
I don't think it takes a lot of skill to intentionally step in the way of someone's swing when they're fighting and watch the guards blow them up, so the ez mode concept goes both ways.

I thought blue blocking was an obviously unintended exploit. So do we disagree on that point?

Or are you trying to say that people being able to go HAM in a moshpit by the Tindrem gate puts someone at such a disadvantage that we need to get rid of the toggle, even if it means the return of blue blocking?

Thread starter #13
I’m of the opinion that the best solution against blue-blocking is full 360 degrees situational awareness and being able to hold back from swinging your weapon until you are absolutely certain of your aim. I’ve often admired how veteran pvpers seem to be able to swing rapidly in quick succession without breaking a sweat in the thick of battle. It’s as if they have a mental projection in their minds of where every combatant is within a small radius around them.

The Can Hit Blue toggle was originally intended to prevent griefing of new players by blue-blockers if I’m not mistaken. In a battle situation involving numerous combatants, having a blue jump in front of your weapon swing while the toggle is off (resulting in weapon sheathed and pop up window) would be far more catastrophic as it would give your opponents literally 3 or 4 free seconds to essentially turn the tables against you.

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
I’m of the opinion that the best solution against blue-blocking is full 360 degrees situational awareness and being able to hold back from swinging your weapon until you are absolutely certain of your aim. I’ve often admired how veteran pvpers seem to be able to swing rapidly in quick succession without breaking a sweat in the thick of battle. It’s as if they have a mental projection in their minds of where every combatant is within a small radius around them.

The Can Hit Blue toggle was originally intended to prevent griefing of new players by blue-blockers if I’m not mistaken. In a battle situation involving numerous combatants, having a blue jump in front of your weapon swing while the toggle is off (resulting in weapon sheathed and pop up window) would be far more catastrophic as it would give your opponents literally 3 or 4 free seconds to essentially turn the tables against you.
It is illogical to place responsibility on the person swinging when the blue blocker is the one who wants to get hit, tries to get hit, and succeeds in getting hit. It is inherent in the concept of blue blocking that the blue blocker is the perpetrator of the outcome and the person swinging is a victim. So the way I see it, you're recommending that SV bring back an unintended method of victimization just because it is preventable in other ways. Okay, let's bring back mount knockdowns because people can just hide behind trees or let's bring back automated mines because people can just siege them.

Oh and the battle scenario you describe is already 100% preventable by using the toggle. Check the box. Problem solved.

It is illogical to place responsibility on the person swinging when the blue blocker is the one who wants to get hit, tries to get hit, and succeeds in getting hit. It is inherent in the concept of blue blocking that the blue blocker is the perpetrator of the outcome and the person swinging is a victim. So the way I see it, you're recommending that SV bring back an unintended method of victimization just because it is preventable in other ways. Okay, let's bring back mount knockdowns because people can just hide behind trees or let's bring back automated mines because people can just siege them.

Oh and the battle scenario you describe is already 100% preventable by using the toggle. Check the box. Problem solved.
i agree on what you said except automated mines. thats actually really needed, less grind for all more fun for all. a reason to fight ovoer good spots. a reason to get conflict again in this vast emptyness of space called myrland.

I don't think it takes a lot of skill to intentionally step in the way of someone's swing when they're fighting and watch the guards blow them up, so the ez mode concept goes both ways.

I thought blue blocking was an obviously unintended exploit. So do we disagree on that point?

Or are you trying to say that people being able to go HAM in a moshpit by the Tindrem gate puts someone at such a disadvantage that we need to get rid of the toggle, even if it means the return of blue blocking?
No need to over complicate the matter. Blue block feature was introduced to assist new steam players. Op says noob island makes this obsolete which is something I agree with.

I’m not certain where blue blocking is an issue outside the tind gy which again noob island renders obsolete.

Definitely nothing is obvious when intended versus unintended especially with Harryius

And yes going ham in the mosh pit is more op than heavy robes in the tind gy. Just my opinion

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
No need to over complicate the matter. Blue block feature was introduced to assist new steam players. Op says noob island makes this obsolete which is something I agree with.

I’m not certain where blue blocking is an issue outside the tind gy which again noob island renders obsolete.

Definitely nothing is obvious when intended versus unintended especially with Harryius

And yes going ham in the mosh pit is more op than heavy robes in the tind gy. Just my opinion
If developer intent is non-obvious then how can we say the toggle was intended strictly for the benefit of new Steam players?

If blue blocking would only happen in Tindrem GY, and Noob Island would make that blue blocking a non-issue, then the toggle is equally a non-issue.

I rather think that Steam release was one of multiple reasons that the toggle was implemented and that without the toggle, blue blocking would still happen to players of all experience levels in other places and circumstances. Why else would this recommendation exist? I'm sorry but I don't believe it's because the toggle is OP at Tindrem gate fights.

It is my opinion that blue blocking should not be a legitimized tactic because it is counterintuitive, anti-immersive and requires little skill.