Roleplay in 2020

Thread starter #1
Greetings all, I've come and gone from these forums and the game itself a good few times over the many years in which I've played the game; And I've read up on the coming events and seen the slow decline in average players. It's disheartening to see a game that I enjoy, and that has so many interesting and just cool mechanics fall off because of certain groups, and all should know who they are.

Despite the 'Core' of the community seeming to be breaking off, a la the people who blocked off resources and the likes, I've pondered if people have considered pulling in a few more roleplay-friendly folks who would enjoy the unique and open mechanics in the various systems such as cooking or alchemy -- People who'll come on now, without large looming zergs about to gank them as the build a tavern out in the open world to sell interesting recipes they try out, or build up a proper keep/town for people to congregate in, and communicate with one another.

That said, despite my curiosities I've yet to recommend any of my pals from other games to come over for RP here, as there's still a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from the various sieges on small communities and the likes that used to happen. Would other people be confident in inviting their friends over? I'm not expecting the game to be wholly 'safe' as that goes against the design, but has the blatant griefing that used to occur, particularly around new players and their buildings fallen off a bit? If so; How many people would actually be interested in following a community like this, one that could potentially spark life back into the game until the release of MO2?

Myrland is as it is. If you play this game you cannot expect to be respected or that people do things as you wish.
It's useless.
This is a wild land, which resists civilization and where violence and brutality are the order of the day.
It is up to each one to make his way and choose how to act with friends and enemies. You cannot expect that they will not betray you because you will also be betrayed, you will be attacked, abused, besieged and destroyed.
This game is like this, it is a tough community, made up of warriors, looters, conquerors, assassins, spies, conspirators, thieves and swindlers.

I was never a warrior and I also did things my way and I was not limited at all by the community. I was also a roleplay player, even helping to vote for an emperor in the game, in this game there is room for all styles and ideas. I am the test, or the guys at ICH.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
Greetings all, I've come and gone from these forums and the game itself a good few times over the many years in which I've played the game; And I've read up on the coming events and seen the slow decline in average players. It's disheartening to see a game that I enjoy, and that has so many interesting and just cool mechanics fall off because of certain groups, and all should know who they are.

Despite the 'Core' of the community seeming to be breaking off, a la the people who blocked off resources and the likes, I've pondered if people have considered pulling in a few more roleplay-friendly folks who would enjoy the unique and open mechanics in the various systems such as cooking or alchemy -- People who'll come on now, without large looming zergs about to gank them as the build a tavern out in the open world to sell interesting recipes they try out, or build up a proper keep/town for people to congregate in, and communicate with one another.

That said, despite my curiosities I've yet to recommend any of my pals from other games to come over for RP here, as there's still a bit of a bad taste in my mouth from the various sieges on small communities and the likes that used to happen. Would other people be confident in inviting their friends over? I'm not expecting the game to be wholly 'safe' as that goes against the design, but has the blatant griefing that used to occur, particularly around new players and their buildings fallen off a bit? If so; How many people would actually be interested in following a community like this, one that could potentially spark life back into the game until the release of MO2?
I wouldnt. But not because of the community but because of the game and how it ruined itself over the years.

The community just followed how the game turned out. A toxic game breeds a toxic community.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
  1. Role-play and murder, conquest, strife, and conflict are not mutually exclusive.
  2. Role-play and those who play roles to any degree also have haters.
  3. This means there will be no voluntary drop in what you call 'griefing'.