The Archaeology of Myrland

Thread starter #1
There are several kinds of remains scattered across Myrland. I'm going to start plotting them on a map in my completely non-existant spare time.

The types are:

I. Saburra towers
  • Description - Hexagonal towers made of a pale yellow stone (saburra?), orignally two(?) storey, remains of a granum wall often found nearby
  • Locations - Western Steppe (north of Vadda), north of Meduli, overlooking the Sunken Isles, in the Sunken Isles, at the Risar Dungeon in GK. Remains of stone walls only on the Eastern Steppe, and also the Western Steppe.
  • Origin - Abandoned outposts of the Tindremic Empire?
Ruin:

Complete example, Meduli pier:

II. Figure of 8 stone hut
  • Description - double or triple ring of granum boulders
  • Locations - spread all over Myrland (steppes, Sunken Isles, Landfall, Gaul Kor
  • Origin - houses? consisting of living area with second hut joined on for livestock or storage? (Generic "doodahs" to give the landscape a bit of character? :()

III. Standing stones
  • Description - Various different types. The one shown in the picture is a large boulder positioned on top of the central of three granum boulders. Another type is made of flatter granum rocks leaning together in an inverted-V shape. Each has different types of mobs around it.
  • Locations - I have found two examples of the one shown in the first picture (one of which is on the Eastern Steppe on the way to the palisaded village). The one in the second picture on the Western Steppe, is south of the Saburra tower.
  • Orgins - boundary markers? shrines?
Type 1:

Type 2:

IV. Stone circle
  • Description - henge monument
  • Location - south-east of Kranesh
  • Origins - maybe the layout matches ancient celestial observations, or maybe it was just a place where prehistoric tribes got together and drank themsevles into oblivion every midsummer. Who knows?

V. Jungle Bridge
  • Description - brown stone bridgewith square columns
  • Location - over gorge leading into the Steps of Echidna
  • Origin - it looks like it was built by Huergar (or maybe the Tindremenes?).

VI. Jungle Statues
  • Description
    • A: Remains of rectangular platform with small cylindrical statues of people in headresses placed at the head and foot, and the remains of a much larger statue (a Sidoain?) lying around (only the feet, hands and head remain).
    • B: Approximately 13 totem-like statues of people in headresses arranged roughly in rows, evenly spaced.
  • Location - Steps of Echidna
  • Origin - Unknown. Sidoain?
A:

B:

There are also various geological remains (karsts, tephra crater, those stone columns that look like petrified tree trunks) that would be interesting to catalogue* but that should be for another thread.

*Warning! Nerds only

Attachments

Thread starter #2
saved for later use

Attachments

Shinzon

Honored Member
Very nice screenshots; I think things of this nature should be looked at more carefully; Starvault did say that there are some hidden things in-game just that no one found them yet. I am not sure about the stone rings, they seem more like decoration that anything, as there are multiple "Doodads" that are cloned all over the place. However the standing rocks and the like are unique.

Shinzon

Honored Member
You missed a couple of Towers; there is one overlooking the entrance into Gaul'Kour. There is one overlooking the sunken Isles, and one in the actual Sunken Isles.

Andi89

There are various remains of a culture all over the jungle.
Lately I have seen carved statues in a half circle around a giant tree that looks somewhat like a giant octopus (^^)

Besides: nice thread

Weedy

Trial Member
Nice findings!

More about stones:
there's also two stone (of granum) structures of square form: one is in the South of Meduli (across the hill with the tower); the other one is on the way from Nerub Madgulu valley (cross the mountain) to Morin Khur. They both look a bit different, but share the similar principle: 4 stones on the angles, 1 stone on the centre.

Thread starter #9
I am not sure about the stone rings, they seem more like decoration that anything, as there are multiple "Doodads" that are cloned all over the place. However the standing rocks and the like are unique.
I think if SV put so many of them in the game, they must refer to some past culture. The pre-Sidoain one? Or some precurser to khurites (albeit more widely spread). They're not just generic ruins, they're a distinctive type so I think they fit in some way.

You missed a couple of Towers; there is one overlooking the entrance into Gaul'Kour. There is one overlooking the sunken Isles, and one in the actual Sunken Isles.
Ah I forgot about those ones. Is the GK one still where the Risar dungeon is now?

There are also at least two instances of the same kind of walls as you get at the Saburra towers, but without any towers being present, which I should add.

Lately I have seen carved statues in a half circle around a giant tree that looks somewhat like a giant octopus (^^)
Pics pretty please! I haven't been in the jungle much since release but yeah, I hear there is a lot of stuff there.

(As an aside, why is the jungle called the Steps of Echidna, and what is the Brood that the south sea islands are named after? Is that some epic monster and her progeny?)

More about stones:
there's also two stone (of granum) structures of square form: one is in the South of Meduli (across the hill with the tower); the other one is on the way from Nerub Madgulu valley (cross the mountain) to Morin Khur. They both look a bit different, but share the similar principle: 4 stones on the angles, 1 stone on the centre.
Thanks, will look out for those too :)

If anyone has a nice-looking up-to-date map, I will start plotting their locations.

Rathius

I think if SV put so many of them in the game, they must refer to some past culture. The pre-Sidoain one? Or some precurser to khurites (albeit more widely spread). They're not just generic ruins, they're a distinctive type so I think they fit in some way.
The pre-Sidoian that I think you're referring to is actually a different continent. Anyhow, I just don't see it on your huts. Yea distinctive, but dunno.

Thread starter #12
The pre-Sidoian that I think you're referring to is actually a different continent. Anyhow, I just don't see it on your huts. Yea distinctive, but dunno.
The Tindremenes think they are descended from that civilisation...does this mean their ancestors originally arrived as a colony?

Also, what do they mean by "pre-Sidoain" - is there a Sidoain culture succeeding it?

wtb more lore!

(Also, updated OP)

Rathius

I imagine they mean the Shinarians as the pre-sidoian civilation.

One theory I'd take into account, with that said, is that the Shinarians would be similar to our Atlantean mythology. Also, I wouldn't put it past the devs to possibly be taking inspiration from Stargate Atlantis. Meaning the Shinarians were more technologically advanced. Which would be some great heritage to claim. It would also account for the search for lost knowledge of the Sidoians and their mathematical and geometrical knowledge as well as their tendencies towards knowledge.

Turkis

"The Biggest Catch" Champion
The river upstream of the stone bridge butts directly up against a sheer cliff wall. A small bridge could probably have been linked up to the calx rock at the top of the waterfall by the cliff wall, but creating a bridge as wide as that would not be possible.

Keeping in mind the old UO Easter Eggs I wonder if saying Ohm three times at these locations would do anything....

Keeping in mind the old UO Easter Eggs I wonder if saying Ohm three times at these locations would do anything....
No. Logically, we must have a sacrifice at all of them, simultaneously.

Then the great gods would reveal themselves!

Deddarus

would be interested to see what these landmarks look like at night ... i dunno, the doors of moria spring to mind ... anyone tried saying mellon ?

Rathius

I like how you think, Linn.

I suggest we make a blood sacrifice at all of the alters when the moon is full...if only there was a moon.

Sindas

I like how you think, Linn.
So it's settled. We all chose our own sacrifice and meet at the separate locations at midnight on the full moon.

I'll bring Necromantic.