This week: Starter Island DISCUSSION

Thread starter #1

Vaith

Hello everyone!

This weeks update will hopefully answer some of your questions regarding the new starter Island.
These are the current plans and ideas, which may or may not change.

Q: How long can you stay on the Island?
A: For as long as the player wants to, we don't want to stress players to leave the Island until they feel they are ready.

Q: How will the flagging system work on the Island?
A: You will be yellow flagged (Safe from being attacked by other players) during your whole stay on the Island.
However, we will add the option to drop your yellow flag and go blue, but once you drop it, you can't get it back, so we will make it very clear and
advice players to NOT do this unless they 100% certain they know what they are doing. (So they can't be tricked into doing this.)

We feel that turning off the yellow flag will be a great way to let our current veteran player base to create new characters to also enjoy the Island, and play it
side by side with our new players who can watch and learn from the veterans as they engage in PvP with eachother.

Q: Will there be a way to try PvP without dropping your yellow flag?
A: Yes, there will be the duel mechanic that we have today, and also an underground arena where everyone who enters will be grey flagged,
and you can attack and get attacked by anyone without risking murdercounts.
This arena will have an instanced door that requires that you to talk to an NPC that explains the dangers to you before he opens the door,
so you can't enter it by mistake.

Q: What resources will be on the Island?
A: There will be Saburra and Granum to mine and extract, different types of wood, but excluding the higher tier ones.
The Island will be populated with different animals that can give animal materials up to Horned scale tier, bone/dental materials,
and the lower tier materials such as leathers and furs.

Q: What type of mounts will there be?
A: There will be Donkeys, Mongrel horses and Steppe horses.

Q: What other restrictions will there be?
A: Not all skill books will be available on the Island, for example, you can only learn ecumenical magic, you will only be able to find the
common Librarian armor books, and higher tier material lore books wont be available.

Q: Will I be able to build a house on the Island?
A: No, there will be no housing nor TC on the island.

Q: When you decide to leave the island, is there no going back?
A: Once you leave, you can never go back.

Q: Already existing characters will be blocked from this island?
A: Existing characters can't travel to the Island.

I hope these answers will give you a clearer picture of what we are aiming for.
Have a great weekend!

Thread starter #2

Vaith

When i read this i realized something, Isnt this what us veterans have asked for, Kinda?

A restart where everyone starts from scratch and NO TC and no breeding (Or if there is breeding only Mongrels and steppe horses are available)

Could be amazing, folks

I guess I need to delete my characters and recreate them to get crafters on the starter island. :D

Thread starter #5

Vaith

I guess I need to delete my characters and recreate them to get crafters on the starter island. :D
Or just make a new account, i mean everyones starting from scratch anyways.
I guess it will cost a new character slot on that new account if you want a fighter and a crafter, but that cost versus deleting my characters, idk.
But all characters will be deleted anyways when MO2 comes in a few years so it sure is a dilemma

Unlimited yellow flag prevents griefing and spawn camping for the entire starting experience, thus neutralizing one of the biggest problems for new players.

Veterans can PvP by turning the flag off, noobs stay safe. Since there is no TC you will simply have to stat up if you die, making PvP as hardcore as it was in my youth. The limited resources will make dying somewhat undramatic, the lack of opportunity to ress without statloss will make up for that. Battles will be more meaningful and death will have consequences.

Only steppe horses might make mounts vulnerable rather then these 500hp armored tanks we see in Myrland.

Less armor types and magic schools is of course needed to give incentive to leave the island and explore the full content of the game. It also totaly changes the game for veterans. New armor recipies will have to be researched.
Im also very interested to see how rare crafters will be on this Island since its another char locked down on the Island.

To me it looks like this Island will be so much better for new players then the grief fest in Tindrem Graveyard, and at the same time it will function as a playground for veterans. Im looking forward to it.

PS; Of course I had to reroll and skill up 2 chars last time I was subbed. Good timing, Tehmudjin.

Yeonan

Trial Member
Q: When you decide to leave the island, is there no going back?

Q: Already existing characters will be blocked from this island?

Now they just need to make no breeding and no tc also apply to myrland and we will be set. Well, no walls without a keep at least.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
I already prepared one character slot on a subscribed account for the starter island some month after the first announcement. Will be fun to play a new map and at the same time help new players and try to get them into the existing guilds.

Are there skill/attribute limits while on the island?

are yellow flags removed upon leaving the island?

are items transferrable from the island?
if so, please consider how it can be abused

personally i dont think new players should feel encouraged to grind to max before entering myrland proper and yellow flags have no business existing in the wider game world

-barcode

Xunila

Cronite Supporter

1. In a way, yes, when you are not able to buy books or learn skills by doing because the materials and vendors are missing on the island.
2. Probably with the transfer.
3. Does it matter? It's easier and faster to gather lots of gold or certain high tier materials in the "real" world.

Looks good to me. They nailed the flagging rules and limited resources right, no more September 2015 Steam release graveyard slaughter fest and priest camping. Good job SV!

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead

The yellow flag will be removed when leaving the island.

Players on the island will be limited to one bank, which they later can access but only whitdraw items from after leaving the island.

The restricted resources will make the "abusable" gain pretty low, and will be outweighted by the importance for new players to be able to bring a buffer of materials and gear to the main lands, that will ensure a smoother transition.

You could also make farming on the new island less efficient than main land farming. Not super innefficient, but like if farming a stack of horned takes longer than on the main land it wont be that abused. Etc. Just give the tutorial mobs less yield or make them farther from the town/ less mobs per spawn to limit amount you can farm quickly. Will help prevent abusive farming.

Players on the island will be limited to one bank, which they later can access but only whitdraw items from after leaving the island.

The restricted resources will make the "abusable" gain pretty low, and will be outweighted by the importance for new players to be able to bring a buffer of materials and gear to the main lands, that will ensure a smoother transition.
will you be able to spawn in any city after leaving noob island?

this violates what I would consider to be two of the main tenets of MO

1. no instant transferring of items from location to location
2. danger *everywhere* (in this case, regarding the ability to keep an entire bank of what you farm without fear of being attacked)

a full bank's worth of materials that were farmed in absolute safety seems a bit much to me. New players may feel compelled to fill their banks to the full before making the trip to the mainland. They may also feel the need to fully skill up their toons before setting foot on the mainland as well.

Personally I feel players should be encouraged to explore the game in the newbie island for a time but there should be a definite push to not stay there and instead to join the proper game world. Having limits to how much stuff they can bring and caps to how high their skills/attributes can get may be enough to encourage them to leave the island once they know the basics (which, imo, is the real goal of the newbie island, a relatively safe way to learn the basics, not an entire mini-trammel in itself).

-barcode

This sounds awesome the only question I have is when will it release? I have been waiting to sub just for this the main game offers me nothing because the population is dead.

KBear

Seems a good plan. New players can experience the game in a safer manner and then once experienced can leave noob island and explore the great world.