Tindremic Language

Thread starter #1

Sindas

I figure it's about time we get a thread going to record all known Tindremene words.

Dues commondo tristique purus.

Enteger vil neh velie sustendisse eaucibus metus elfet odio egistas pellentesque at vitae magna.

Enteger neg loridor torfor sed adipiscung mi morbi in tellus sit amet erai sagietls egestas non ut urna.

Enteger condimentum dui non mi porta condimentum. Praesent semper facilisls consequat. Quisque in mauris in liquila erelillamoorper sed vitae risus. Ut iget nuno massa. Morei hendrerit tosuere ultraces sed dapibustellus neg.

I think there might have been non-english letters, as a few looked odd and were hard to read. One letter which I took as "O" looked quite a bit like [*] or ['] which is an ancient Classical Etruscan letter.

Below I have some words listed beside their possible meanings.

Risar Exploratori Muneror: Risar Exploratory Rewards (Almost positive this is right, but could be wrong)

Condalium: Slave, Steintroll, Slave Ring, Ring, Low-born

Auricula: Warrior, Common Clan Member

Auricula Ungulus: High-ranked warrior, high ranked brute

Auricula Risar Obustus: Risar Chieftain

Caput Tribunus

Auricula could mean the Rank, and when used alone could mean "Middle Rank" or "Common Rank". When used with words like Ungulus and Obustus, it refers to a higher-level rank.

Risar "Bosses":

Oorak Bicornigus
Thrakesh Dentifrangibulus
Gaal Unctus

Ministerium Militaï: Ministerium (Doesn't need translated) Militia (Or something very similar to the term, like Force)
Tindrem
The above might actually be from the Risar language. Perhaps Thursars were able to give the Tindremenes the names the Risar give themselves, or they heard them from Risar. However, I doubt it. The way these words are written is very similar to how the language was written on the scroll.

Isla: Island, Isle
Clerus: Cleric, Clerical, Clergy
Magica: Magic
Vica: District
Consul: District Leader
Maximus: Great (as in, Great Lighthouse)
Pharos: Lighthouse
Arx: Fortress, Stronghold, Citadel
Primoris: First, Most Distinguished, Foremost
Vispellio (plural): Body-looters, Grave Robbers
Canacheni (plural): Pickpocketers
Thesauria (plural): Burglars, Treasure Thieves
Caducus: Sinking?, Sunken? (Translates in Latin to Fallen, or Drooping)
Serfs: Low-class slave, allowed to work on estate for food, lodging, not allowed to own property
Villeins: Allowed to work for food, lodging, allowed to own property
Gladiators: slaves, fighters expected to fight and earn enough money to buy freedom
Aqualifers: Military rank
Legati (plural): Military rank
Lictors: Military rank
Hierodules: A Theurgy rank
Vicars: A Theurgy rank
Archimandrites: A Theurgy rank
Patricians: Nobles
Ephors: Royal counselors, advisors. One from Nobilitas, one from Theurgy
Praetors: Supreme Commanders of the Army
Flamines: Theurgy appointed to government
Quaestors: "The man who asks questions", A Questioner, a law-related job.
Lexus Tredecim Tabula: Law of the Thirteen Tablets, The Golden Means
Palla: Mantle (clothing)
Bracae: trousers
Stola: female counterpart of a toga
Strophion: something females use to put emphasis on their breasts
Sarducaan Papyrus: A garment that is so impracticle it barely allows the wearer to move without breaking it, a sign of status

The above are all of the words I could find in the Tindremene lore page. I could put a meaning to almost all of them.

We know for sure that most Tindremic seems to be Latin, or very close.

The text appears to be Laitn. And from what I can gather from the low detailed pic, translates rather smoothly to what were seeing in game.

IE: The text translated to Latin refers to a gate, big gate by Orcs...

Kuroi

if it's Latin as Ralph said, i'll ask my fiance to translate it... but knowing Mats, i guess it's a mix between Latin and something invented by him

dscoombs

if it's Latin as Ralph said, i'll ask my fiance to translate it... but knowing Mats, i guess it's a mix between Latin and something invented by him

That sounds likely.

Thread starter #5

Sindas

Most likely. I doubt it will be as easy as simply translating Latin. I have a feeling that I was correct on some of the odd symbols/letters and that we may find this to be much more complicated then translating a few words.

Risar Invasion Poster, names for Risar
You didn't get the full poster, and some of it is wrong, so I'll provide it here with some corrections:
Risar Exploratori Muneror

Condalium (you wrote candalium)
Auricula
Auricula Ungulus
Auricula Risar Obustus: Risar Chieftain
Caput Tribunus (you forgot that one)
Auricula Risar Obustus

Oorak Bicornigus
Thrakesh Dentifrangibulus
Gaal Unctus

Ministerium Militaï
Tindrem
The above might actually be from the Risar language. Perhaps Thursars were able to give the Tindremenes the names the Risar give themselves, or they heard them from Risar. However, I doubt it.
The individual "surnames" are the epithets given to them (or interpreted?) by the Tindremenes.

And I can't help myself from pointing out this:
[...]
Vica: District
[...]
Vica: Sinking, City (One of those two, not both)
Caducus: Sinking, City (One of those two, not both)
;)

The above are all of the words I could find in the Tindremene lore page. I could put a meaning to almost all of them.
There should be a few, although not that many, in the story The Battle of Nereb Madgulu as well.

Words from a scroll in Fabernum
I'd better update that scroll. I can see that the text is not changed in the way it was supposed to be.

Kuroi

Mats we luv you

Thread starter #11

Sindas

Thanks mats <3

And yeah, I just saw the Vica one...thanks for pointing that out and publicly embarrassing me :(

It was really late last night and I had been up for about 24 hours or more..I'm going to be going over all of this and looking into the story and such further today and correcting some mistakes. I'll try and translate more words too.

I'm also going to begin looking for more ingame areas with writing that is readable. Unless there aren't any more yet..?

Anyway, let us know when it's fixed mats? And this is all worth it to see you coming around again :p We thought Henrik fed you to the Sator..

edit:

don't forget the poem from the Armillogon slides. Would help any would be translators with the seemingly forgotten works of the old MO community.
Well, what concerns me is we do not know if this is tindremic or not. This could be an early version of what Mats planned to be something similar to Tindremic, or it could be some "common" language that is slightly different. It could even be an "Old Tongue" for all we know, considering when the poem might have been written.

What I would like to know is, is Tindremic simply going to be a copy of Latin, and/or how much of it is going to be made up or different?

Edit2:

The individual "surnames" are the epithets given to them (or interpreted?) by the Tindremenes.
Are you talking about all of the names listed on that poster, or only the "Boss" names?

Kuroi

my fiance told me it looks A LOT like Latin, she will try to help us asap :)

Kuroi

In the past there have been mixes of Latin and Greek. The Latin is pretty prevalent, but don't forget the Greek.
ok good to know, she studies both :)

Rathius

ok good to know, she studies both :)
To add, cuz I guess that wasn't all too clear. When I said mixes, I mean like parts of words are mixed. Like part of the root may be Latin while the other part of the word may be Greek. So if it doesn't look like it's a recognizable word, try to split it down into roots of various languages.

Electrum

It does look quite a bit like Latin but most of the words I'm not familiar with and some are certainly not Latin. If I knew more about ancient Greek I'd be able to tell you with more certainty that what has been suggested is the case. To me, it looks quite a bit like Lorem ipsum, I just hope it's not.

I don't have the time or patience now to try to work through the whole text. I will tell you though that from what I know, Condalium translates to a ring, Auricula to an ear often specifically an earlobe, Ungulus to a nail (not quite sure how that fits with ear), Obustus to burnt, Caput to head, Tribunus to a Roman Tribune, and Ministerium Militaï to The Minister of the Militia, of course.

One thing to note is that Tribunus isn't in the correct case to suggest that it is in possession of the head, but I assume it is.

In short, the Herald is paying for Rings, Ears (or Earlobes), Ear Nails (Hm.), Burnt Ears, Tribune's Heads, and bits of the bosses you mentioned.